1. To further expand the reach of our Marketplace and increase potential buyers, we have created two social accounts solely for the promotion of our Marketplace. Check it out here! Don't forget to follow our pages!
  2. We would like to know you better hence we made the the introductions more interesting. Would love to see you answer the questions here!
  3. The winners for the TWF Annual Survey Draw have been revealed! Are you one of them? Check the list of winners here.

Bought an item from china, need to return it, should I be expected to pay for postage

Discussion in 'China Sourcing' started by mitchymoo, Jun 29, 2010.

Image has been removed.
This URL has been automatically filtered because it has been posted by a new member. Active URLs posted by new members are always filtered. Once members have 10 or more posts and have been registered for 10 or more days, this filtering will be removed. To post URLs within the restriction period, just remove the http:// section which makes the URL non-clickable (i.e. website.com).
This email address has been automatically filtered because it has been posted by a new member. Active email addresses posted by new members are always filtered. Once members have 10 or more posts and have been registered for 10 or more days, this filtering will be removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. mitchymoo

mitchymoo

Hi guys,

I bought some Iphone cases from china and paid for ems delivery to the uk, I now need to return the item back to china as they are "significantly not as described". In your opininon, should I be expected to pay for the return of the item, or do you think I should be indemnified for all associated costs relating to the purchase and return of the cases?

Another question I have is:

If the cases I have recieved breach copyright by featuring copyrighted logos, should these items be handed over to the authorities instead of being returned to the supplier.

The supplier has requested I return the items but I am concerned that by sending these items to china I may in fact be seen as exporting items that have fake logos on them, thus getting myself into trouble :eek:. BTW the supplier is an advertiser on here.

What would you do?

Thanks for your help!

Jacob
  2. stephen hewitt

stephen hewitt

Re: Bought an item from china, need to return it, should I be expected to pay for pos

If you bother to send them back do not hold your breath waiting for a refund, you will suffocate!!!
  3. Saajan

Saajan

Re: Bought an item from china, need to return it, should I be expected to pay for pos

It depends on the suppliers returns policy. If it states that you need to handle the return costs, then you'll have to follow that.
  4. TheGreenFlag

TheGreenFlag

Is this off a website like DHGate etc? I bought some MP3 players, one was faulty. The seller wanted me to send it back, he then wanted me to pay for the return postage, after doing some sums it wasn't worth it, we then agreed on a partial refund which I got to keep the dodgy player.

A partial refund might be better? Or open a dispute?
  5. KozyKids

KozyKids

But its not a return as such - not like argos 16 day money back thing.

I state on my website that, if they want to return it for any reason of their own, the customer pays. If the item is not as described ie different colour etc then I pay.

How did you pay for it? If by bank transfer you have no chance of getting your money back. What you gonna do, go to China and have it out with them?
  6. mitchymoo

mitchymoo

thanks for your posts guys, I've paid for tge items via payoal. I've opened a dispute via paypal. They are refusing to refund prior to me sending the item even after me saying it would be illegal for me to sell the items in the uk.
  7. hardwareheroes

hardwareheroes

I would not expect to get the rerurn postage paid under normal circumstances.

however, if you have a good relationship with your supplier, most will settle by offering a discount off future orders or something like that
  8. Dave Casuals

Dave Casuals

Have you purchased from this company before?

If you have, and have had good dealings then the only thing that could go against you is customs and them opening the consignment...However, i would put a large note at the top of the consignment or within clearly stating that these were sent not as described and your reason for return ie concern for fraudulent trademark infringement! I

It's really just hoping they get there, but at least by doing this, you are stating that you aren't involved in this, and are returning back to factory...on the other hand, if customs take the items then you just have to call it a loss but won't have any further comeback...ie trademark items etc, and just have to cut your losses!

I had the same problem with MP4 players a few years back...fortunately i only purchased a small amount and asked for sample purchases prior to buying in bulk, and found the company whom claimed were sending unbranded players, sent replica copy Apple Ipods, in Apple Ipod boxes and with apple logos all over the player and headphones etc...wasn't worth me sending back for this, but this is again a reason to stay away from china! No matter how many promises you get saying the products are as seen in picture...they they never seem to be, and if they are, there usually is some sort of problem, and not much you can really do if there is.
  9. hardwareheroes

hardwareheroes

Going a wee bit far there Dave - it really is worth sticking with China - you just need to find the right suppliers
  10. Pete

Pete

Not to brazenly plug my services, but I believe I am the only one selling from China who does pay return shipping in the case of new items, in my case usually DOA electronics.

Virtually every site has it clearly stated, and most tell you up front return shipping is on you.

With the cheapest signed for about $20 to China, it can add up.
  11. Dave Casuals

Dave Casuals

not really mate...i asked if they had had dealing with their supplier previously....and if they had then there shouldn't be a problem! But i took the risk and used 3 different chinese suppliers to test the water and out of 3 suppliers that i purchased MP4 players from all had their own problems...whether it be problems with players, trademark infringement etc...it was non stop problems! However, this was early on, before many people jumped on the bandwagon of purchasing these from China, so better companies may have popped up...

Over a year ago, you actually asked me whom my contacts were and if i didn't mind telling you with regards to MP4 players...fortunately i didn't tell you these names, but the problems i had from these players wasn't worth the hassle for me...and if i'd been stupid enough to inform others on these forums then i would of looked a bit of a clown, hence why i don't promote Chinese companies....but fair play if you have found a supplier that is doing ok for you :thumbup:

The only way i'd back up a chinese company is by going over there and sourcing one...making sure it was all above board and deal with things that way...i actually has good customer service from 2 of the companies i dealt with, and can't fault that at all, but i can fault a badly produced product :)
  12. hardwareheroes

hardwareheroes

HEHE - YUP - I am grateful for that :clap:
  13. mitchymoo

mitchymoo

Thanks for your replies guys!

I just got hold of my brother who actually works for SOCA (Serious Organised Crime Agency) and he says that because I'm rejecting the items on the basis of them infringing copyright, I should have no issues customs - wise in returning the item.

The only thing now is the return of the items which as pete says is going to cost me $20 (£15 international signed for).

In fairness though, the company concerned has just refunded my order total within 24 hrs of me contacting them. Not bad service really.
  14. ericfarrow12

ericfarrow12

If hes a seller on here then report him to Anothny for selling fake goods and name and shame him on here.
  15. mitchymoo

mitchymoo

They're not necessarily fakes, they are iphone cases that feature unauthorised use of a trade mark logo. I dont purchase branded goods from china.
  16. TradeSparq

TradeSparq

I believe you are going to have to pay for the postage. If they give you your $$ back, you are lucky.

Another thing to consider is how time consuming the dispute is. You want this to be resolved so it doesn't drain your productivity.
  17. purewater

purewater

It seems very difficult for you to ask for the refund from the seller.

But you can request that if you turn back the product , the seller should offer the express charge.:)
  18. Pete

Pete

It sounds like you are able to talk to these people. They admit you got the wrong items. (By the way, just that logo does make them counterfeit.)

See if they will share the shipping, if nothing else. Try first for the whole thing, since it was their doing, not that you are dissatisfied with the color and want to exchange, or some "changed my mind" type of thing.

In my case we refund up to $20 USD for returns, unless it's an unusual case. This generally covers International Small Packet with no problem and usually includes Signed For (AirSure). Sometimes the customer does have a bit in the signed for part, but just a bit.

I ask for a receipt, and here lately the receipt tape from the post office printer has all that is needed, including the address in China. I personally take my customers at face value and consider them honest, but I do have a bookkeeper who questions everything, so a scan of the receipt helps me cover my tracks. :)

Try negotiating, worst thing that happens is you do pay it all.
  19. squeezedmedia

squeezedmedia

Yes, it's common protocol for the buyer to cover the postage costs if they want a refund. You should do research on the supplier, and don't always go for the cheapest.

You must be a member to reply…

Why should you join us?

• Networking Opportunities
  • Find Genuine Wholesalers
  • Source Profitable Stock
  • 100,000 Members Strong