1. Hello Guest, to participate in discussions just click the "JOIN NOW" button and sign up for FREE!

Buying a domain name for SEO

Discussion in 'Social Media, SEO/SEM & Online Marketing' started by ladyvgw, Dec 5, 2016.

1. ladyvgw

ladyvgw

Hi all,

I have a noob question regarding seo as I have not done this before and not sure if it is worth doing. Any advice appreciated :)

I have been offered a domain name that is for sale which I think could be good to own as it is basically my biggest ranking keywords but not sure how I best use it to benefit my business. Do I set up a keyword heavy page that links to my site or just point it straight to my website?
  2. Cody

Cody

I guess it really depends if you need to set up a new site with a keyword domain. Yes this may help with say your CTR, however Google likes brands.

In terms of creating a page and filling it with keywords can have some bad implications. This is known as Keyword Stuffing, which may lead to some penalties from Google and other search engines. For example, the heavy keyword stuffed page will be seen as spam and could be banned, seriously affecting your main sites traffic.

Also, if you set up a new domain - that has never been directed to a site before - then there'll be no negative or positive impact as such anyway.

If you do this it should be 301 redirected to the main URL. But I don't know much about this bit personally. Hopefully someone else does.

@liamhawes any help here?
    ladyvgw likes this.
  3. ladyvgw

ladyvgw

Thanks Cody, appreciate the info :)
  4. Gary

Gary

Thing is, if redirecting then yes, use a 301 redirect but if the domain doesn't carry any weight (is otherwise unknown), it probably won't actually help that much. Obviously it wouldn't have anything to index in Google.

However if it's a previously known domain in a similar field then it's popularity could come from those who already know it and would return to it to then find you. However if it has no "juice", and you're not planning to build any then to be honest the domain really isn't worth that much.

As Cody said keyword stuffing won't do you any favours, however you could maybe add a blog/information site with relevant links/keywords at more reasonable levels, selecting the right keywords and using them in context would help there.

I'm not an SEO expert by any means, however regular, unique updates to the new domain could help to gain traffic to your main site over time if done correctly.
    ladyvgw likes this.
  5. liamhawes

liamhawes

From my understanding, I wouldn't bother with it. Are we talking about just a URL that's completely new or does it have history with other pages linking to it etc?

If your aim is to benefit your business then I'm sure there are better ways to go about it in terms of SEO. Is this for your wholesale site Vicky?

If you wanted to PM the URL in question or any details you didn't want public then feel free to do so, may be easier to give advice etc.
    ladyvgw likes this.
  6. ladyvgw

ladyvgw

Thanks Liam, will PM you now.

You must be a member to reply…

Why should you join us?

• Networking Opportunities
  • Find Genuine Wholesalers
  • Source Profitable Stock
  • 100,000 Members Strong