1. Speak to our customer support team live today
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Thanks for visiting The Wholesale Forums! Register for FREE today and gain access to more information. Sign up with Facebook, Twitter, or Google.

Buying Authentic Designer Clothing - A few guidelines

Discussion in 'Products & Trends' started by Made In Italy, Jun 5, 2010.

1. Made In Italy

Made In Italy

We often have potential clients asking if our goods are authentic as , quite correctly, any client,large or small, has to exercise 'due diligence' particularly when when buying designer products. With this in mind we thought we might give a few guidelines to assist buyers to ensure that what they are buying is secure.

1) Price Design houses dictate the retail price which a client can ask for their products this is normally fixed at about a 2.3-2.4 mark up inc vat. What does this mean for you? it means that if anyone is offering you current season designer goods at less than 1/2 retail then you should ask some serious questions. Why would they buy an exclusive product at £50 and sell it to you at £30?

2) Quantity many clients ask if there are discounts for 'bulk' orders. The essence of designer wear is its exclusivity.......the harder it is to get the more people want it. Therefore the brandholders in Armani or Prada etc will not release goods in bulk they do not want to flood the market with their products. In this they are vastly different from sportswear companies like Adidas or Nike or even some of the lower brands. With this in mind then beware of anyone who offers you Armani jeans ,Prada trainers , Miu Miu handbags in very large quantities..........especially when they get cheaper the more you buy. We are one of the main exporters of Armani and Stone Island, among others yet even we have difficulty offering any more than 30 or 40 pcs of any particular Stone Island jacket at a time.

3) Source You cannot buy exclusive designer wear from factories. The design houses do outsource quality producers to manufacture their goods. However there are two important points to bear in mind firstly these contracts are very lucrative and important to the producer , would you risk losing your contract with Armani ( and having to pay damages) in order to sell 20 or even 100 jeans? if not then you must assume that probably such goods are not from the official producer but are in fact fake. Secondly even if they are from an official factory they are still liable to confiscation and prosecution because no producer for these design houses has a license to sell...hence again the goods are fake as no royalty has been paid to the brandholder. It is very easy for the brandholder to prove that goods, even if from an official factory, are fake. this is because if for instance, Stone Island ask a producer to manufacture knitwear for them they order , lets say 10,000 pcs and supply the producer with 10,0000 labels, wash labels, buttons, wool, swing tickets etc. etc.This in turn means that if any of their producers release goods unofficially they have somehow to get their hands on exactly the right materials ( almost impossible) and swing tags with built in security.

4) Silhouette ruling. This ruling , from 1998 is basically an anti-dumping law. Put simply it means that you cannot sell designer products outside the market for which they were intended. For example , you cannot purchase Lacoste from a US supplier ,even the official US distributor, and sell it in the EU. For goods to be valid for sale in the EU the first invoice has to be to an official EU client.This brings us to the final point.

5) Paperwork We are constantly asked for paperwork to prove originality. This has to be the biggest joke of all time. If you are not sure if the goods are original how can you be sure that the paperwork is? Have you ever seen an official SIMINT or Sportswear invoice? have you heard of scanners? If someone is going to sell you fake goods you can be sure he will manage to procure some fake paperwork.

I hope this is of some assistance.
  2. alikarachi

alikarachi

Re: authenticity

Thanks. Again, like I said in my thread, I just do not understand how selles on ebay can thrive so well when there are obvious difficulties in reselling designer clothing....
  3. Anthony

Anthony

Great thread.

In addition to new season stock, I would be cautious about anybody providing you current season, especially the higher end brands. It's rare you will get the latest stocks of the higher end brands unless you have direct contact with an authorised distributor (who rarely sell their stocks anyway).

In regards to quantities. I would go one step further and exercise extreme caution if you are offered large quantities of high end designer wear. The brands that have been mentioned above, as well as Ralph Lauren, Fred Perry, Calvin Klein, Gucci, Prada and so forth, are not readily available in large quantities. Be wary of suppliers that can promise end less supplies of designer garments, this is a sure sign that they stock is coming from a very questionable source (such as a factory producing counterfeits!)

Silhouette ruling is another term for grey market goods, a lot of the garments in the Euro markets have come from this route. Suppliers and buyers alike are well aware of this fact, yet continue to trade regardless. Frankly, I don't think the brand owners are doing enough to restrict trade of this nature, it seems only the higher profile cases (Levi vs Tesco) are actually being pursued.

Some good thoughts mentioned in this thread but they are really only the tip of the iceberg when it comes to the industry as a whole.....
    risingmoon19 likes this.
  4. designeroutlet

designeroutlet

Re: authenticity

I agree wholeheartedly, we all have to do our due diligence...paperwork is easier to duplicate that finished goods, buyers and even new business owners starting out with a small investment have to be realistic to get real goods. I often have potential buyers request the goods I am offering below cost, and when i tell them it's not possible they don't believe me, but every sale has to have a reasonable profit margin or what's the point.

It is very presumptuous for a small or midsized retailers to assume that they can adequately compete with larger retailers at the outset of launching their businesses, how can any of us buy less for less? It doesn't add up, and it's got to if we all intend to stay in business.

Yes, from time to time you may procure authentic merchandise at an unbelievable price but this is not the norm, it's and anomaly.

Once again, we all have to do our diligence, go to the brand stores, study the products, take a flight to Italy, LA, New York, or London...There's enough money to be made in this industry to make it worth your while.

...And I agree once again most often it's difficult at best to get large quantities of high end products...the idea behind it is buy as many as possible for as cheap as possible...but what many buyer don't realize is that by doing this they are inadvertently asking for replicas.

Sometimes larger quantities are available, however they still require a large investment, this is because designer clothing and accessories are highly sought after, if the designer brands are to keep their value and exclusivity the prices have to stabilize at some point of the brands loss value.

Regards
  5. huzayltrading

huzayltrading

I agree with this absolutely...good guidelines.
  6. Made In Italy

Made In Italy

All designer goods purchased initially outside of Europe ( even if you purchase them from a supplier within Europe) have to have the specific permission from the brand holder themselves ( i.e. a certified statement from Calvin Klein, Armani, Ralph Lauren on their headed paper) that they have freed these specific goods for sale in Europe
  7. Victoriaanne

Victoriaanne

Sorry to be so slow but I am new to this - does that mean I can buy say Levi's and Diesel products only in small quataties for me ebay shop? Or are we saying it also depends on the supplier and what they charge me for them in the first place? Am I safe in assuming that all suppliers on this websites market place are safe to buy from including made in italy ?- sorry just trying to get my head round this stuff im very new to.
  8. mgroadster

mgroadster Banned Member

NO! They are only vetted to a degree, whoever you choose to buy from, ensure your homework has the I s dotted and the T s crossed before handing over your money. NEVER buy from someone who contacts you direct to your email or someone here without advertising status.
  9. bhaskarbhai2011

bhaskarbhai2011

Great thread.

In addition to new season stock, I would be cautious about anybody providing you current season, especially the higher end brands. It's rare you will get the latest stocks of the higher end brands unless you have direct contact with an authorised distributor (who rarely sell their stocks anyway).
  10. Made In Italy

Made In Italy

Actually you are safer with suppliers selling current season higher end brands. There are several reasons for this. The most important one being that all such suppliers invoice their goods as what they are with article codes , colour codes etc. Secondly , those who sell such items do so in limited quantities per article in size runs. i.e. when we offer our current Armani or Stone Island we offer 60-80% of the entire range , normally each article is available in 6-10 pcs per colour at most.It is not practical for those who make and sell fake goods to produce such a variety in such small numbers.Finally , any company selling current season goods , especially from Italy, is very tightly controlled by both the brands and the state
  11. Danke

Danke

This is quite interesting, so you are saying that I cannot source fashion from the US to sell in UK?

If this is the case which I hope it is not, it is quite a bummer for me as I have found a couple of distributors within the US for a couple of brands which I cannot for the life of me find through a distributor in UK.
  12. Made In Italy

Made In Italy

This is part of the anti-dumping legislation.Under the 'rule of exhaustion' the brandholders control over their goods ends once sold to their official client in the EEC.However, if these goods were not initially sold to an EEC client then this rule does not apply and the goods are not valid for European sale.In the past this rule was not applied with particular force but now , thanks to the crisis, all these companies are applying it rigidly. Note that even if you buy from a European supplier who has initially purchased from a distributor outside the EEC then these goods are regarded in the same way as fakes.
  13. Danke

Danke

Could you repeat that in layman's English please as I am ashamed to say I did not understand it :(
  14. Made In Italy

Made In Italy

Basically it means that goods can only be sold in the market for which they were intended.Therefore if you intend to deal in Europe you cannot buy from outside Europe.
  15. Danke

Danke

Oh so I can't import Armani Jeans from the US to resell in EU then? damn :(

Thank you :)
  16. Made In Italy

Made In Italy

No 'fraid not
  17. koike

koike Banned Member

Thank you .
  18. Sala

Sala

Agree!!
  19. itsallnumbers

itsallnumbers

In the past 10 minutes, I've been amazed with the amount of information you guys offers. You guys really are here to help and I appreciate that! I'll be sure to refer back to this thread if I ever need help, thank you!
  20. edwardsolomen

edwardsolomen

I agree that it is quite very difficult in getting designer clothes, especially female products.. I have been trying to get Levi's Jeans but still no success.. And thanks for providing these guide lines these are pretty helpful for someone like me who is new in this business.. And Frankly I was interested in one supplier offering me Armani at 10 % margin but Now after reading this I will ask some serious questions from him. :)