1. Hello Guest, Thanks for visiting The Wholesale Forums! Register for FREE today. Sign up with Facebook, Twitter, or Google.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Thanks for visiting The Wholesale Forums! Register for FREE today and gain access to more information. Sign up with Facebook, Twitter, or Google.

Call Yourself an Entrepreneur?

Discussion in 'General Wholesale' started by JustCraig, Jul 1, 2013.

1. JustCraig

JustCraig

....or something else...?

I recently read an article that said just 4% of the 1200 business owners they asked called themselves entrepreneurs.

53% called themselves business owners, 26% referred to themselves as self-employed and 15% said they were businessmen/woman.

Any thoughts?
  2. Dean

Dean

I like the word 'entrepreneur'. It sounds clever and innovative. I like to think I am an entrepreneur but I usually say business owner.
  3. Gary

Gary

I usually say business owner. to be honest I think there's a distinction between business owner and entrepreneur, so I'd like to think of myself as an entrepreneur in the making ;)
  4. Jed

Jed

I struggle to explain to people what I am and what I do... I just say I work for myself.
    beshis likes this.
  5. Car Expert

Car Expert

enterpreneur is a good word but many wont use it, just because its more suits for somebody who owns a giant company, but anyways its everybody own choice.
  6. Northern Soles

Northern Soles

what would you say the difference is between a opportunist and a entrepreneur?
  7. Pete

Pete

I have always claimed to be a salesman who owns a company, but my business cards will read General Manager, so I can always blame unpopular news on "management".
  8. Andy777

Andy777

I'm 100% entrepreneur - call it that myself and feel that way all the time! :D

I wish I could be just a business owner and not fight against all the new ideas that I came up on a daily basis, arghhhhhhhhh!!!!
    JermaineR8 likes this.
  9. Sc0tty

Sc0tty

I get called an entrepreneur by my friends, but I am reluctant to call myself that. I feel that you have to had good success in several areas before your are a entrepreneur and have a business that can operate in the main without your interference. Though we are all entrepreneurs in the making.
    jonccnam likes this.
  10. Gary

Gary

I know what you mean, I have, and have had, enough Ideas to start many more businesses than I have, practically constantly got ideas turning around in my head trying to separate the best bits and decide which way to go, takes willpower to stay on a true path I find (which admittedly I have deviated several times in the past, but the majority were intentional).
    Dave likes this.
  11. cbeebies

cbeebies

Just like Pete, I called myself 'General Manager' of a small company. :)
  12. Dave

Dave

Same for me, I feel too old and sensible to be a true 'entrepreneur'.
  13. Dave

Dave

I had sales manager on my cards for the same reason,..............:D
  14. Andy777

Andy777

Oh Gary, if only you knew! :D

This in fact has been my biggest or next biggest problem after day task management that prevents me really to be 110% productive and achieve my goals on time. I get side tracked almost all of the time - for various reasons, too many ideas being one of them.

If only I could manage/learn to switch of my entrepreneurial spirit when I don't need it!
  15. Gary

Gary

I know the feeling, as you know I've only recently launched this hosted e-commerce venture, but I have been buildign to it for quite a while, but I already have its next stages planned (as much as I can) for a few years down the line, and another venture which I would really like to do which I put on hold but I have pretty well planned out which I'm hoping to do at a later date.

I also have a pretty substantial first concept logo portfolio just for some of the various ideas that I've had, rough business plan after rough business plan just in case I decide to go back to them later (just enough top jog my memory), obviously there's only so many hours in the day so can only do what I can do and don't want to overstretch to not do them properly, I've even had it suggested to me (by several people) that I should sell business ideas & advice, but in a way, I'd like to, but in another I'd hate to see someone getting rich off my ideas just because I don't have time and money to do them all...lol
  16. Lace

Lace Retired Moderator

This will make for a very interesting blog post! Anyone in the mood to write? :D
  17. Andy777

Andy777

I know one person - Lace! :D

Don't ask me to write more than I already do, lol
    Lace likes this.
  18. ACO - Export

ACO - Export

I am not native English and I always have problem with spelling of the word entrepreneur, but it sound very noble to me :)
  19. Urban Colour

Urban Colour

Love this thread and the things about many ideas etc rings true with everyone of an entrepreneurial nature.
    The term 'Entrepreneur' first appeared in the French language in the 12th century and meant 'to do' or 'undertake'
    These days however, it seems to be tagged to anyone who has an involvement in business. I don't like to call myself an entrepreneur... To me it seems a little 'stuffy' (Im being polite there). I just say I work for myself :)
  20. Jenilee

Jenilee

We shared this question on Twitter and here are the responses we got:

I feel massively arrogant if I use the word entrepreneur. I just say 'I run multiple business'" -@olitheblog

I'm a marketer first, I might be entrepreneurial but that doesn't tell people what I actually do” -@john_w_hayes

I don't call myself one no, I feel it is a badge of honour you get when others call you it” - @dave_furness

And from our very own Anthony - "I think it is a mindset & a particular set of skills rather than a vocation"