1. Hi Guest! Want to share your ideas and knowledge, and be known widely by the community and other readers? Have your article posted in TWF and get your ideas featured! Contact us to know more!

Checkout Payment Processors

Discussion in 'Payment & Shipping' started by Anthony, Jul 21, 2005.

1. aliengizmo

aliengizmo

Better

ITs WAY better than the one your promoting mate let people make up their own minds OK
  2. Pete

Pete

I don't promote any merchant accounts.

But I can come up with half a dozen in short order that will beat those rates.

Actually my problem was more with the affiliate link than it was the actual product. 2.49% is high, no doubt about that. There truly are many at 2.29 and 25 cents, with a $ 20 or lower monthly fee.

Sorry, if it weren't for the affiliate link I would not have said anything. But affiliate links do give the impression that you are more concerned with the sale than the results for the buyer. I try to put the buyer's interest first.
  3. bhsizemo11

bhsizemo11

4. Pete

Pete

That's what I'm talking about.

And no affiliate links!
  5. livewire

livewire Banned Member

some of these are great but they are only for UK or EUR payments. Since we are in the US that wont work.

Any in the US besides paypal and google?
  6. Pete

Pete

7. bhsizemo11

bhsizemo11

So you don't want to use Google Checkout, or PayPal, or setup a regular merchant account (I currently use all 3)...the result is that you're going to be paying much higher fees with the other options including limitations (ex: Propay has higher discount fees with maximum charge amounts per transaction and per month). Don't confuse payment gateways (authorize.net) with a merchant account; they're completely different and work in conjunction with one another.
  8. livewire

livewire Banned Member

Well paypal is such a pain they freeze your account anytime they want and i cant risk that with my business. Google is no better. Although i did like them for awhile.

I cant get a merchant account because i dont have good credit or a processing history.

Propay is really just a merchant account. I am looking for like paypal type thing. Obopay seems ok. I thought xoom was ok but i found they scam alot of people.
  9. Pete

Pete

It seems like the problem may not be with PP or GC, but with you.

I've been with PayPal since 2001 (just checked to be sure), there is hardly a day goes by I don't get a payment for something, and I've never had a penny held up.

I don't use GC for a couple of reasons. First I don't like them not allowing me to get an email address. Second, they are too large and prevasive. One day we will all be one their payroll, or their dole.

Your problems are the problem. Maybe what you are selling, maybe how you treat your customers, maybe, maybe, maybe........

They are not great, they are just OK, but if you can't get a merchant account (which nowadays means really lousy credit) it looks like you're stuck with PP and GC. You have to suck it up and adapt to their way.

If there is a great example of "my way or the highway" you are talking about a couple of the poster children.
  10. bhsizemo11

bhsizemo11

Propay is a third party processor, just like PayPal and Google Checkout. Many people complain about Paypal/GCO, but the truth is a real merchant account will automatically debit your linked bank account as soon as a chargeback comes through the system. I find that sellers experience chargebacks because they don't advertise what they're selling honestly and completely accurate or they don't follow all the seller policies of each service. Simply following 22/23 requirements is not good enough; you must follow all 23 requirements. I can't remember the last time someone followed all the seller policies (such as the PayPal Seller Protection Policy) and lost a dime. Instead, the seller always shipped to an unconfirmed address, an uncovered country, or couldn't provide proof of delivery/signature at the confirmed address. Then they blame PayPal/GCO instead of themselves for not doing what the processor put in their terms in order to be protected.

On e-commerce sites, a large majority of buyers want to enter their card # on a site directly. While PayPal is a major factor on eBay due to integration, it's a small player as a percentage of transactions on stand alone e-commerce sites and transactions in general. GCO and other competitors are substiantially less of a player in the field. More than 90% of buyers on my site choose direct credit card entry over PayPal/GCO; I think your best bet will be starting with PayPal. Buyers don't want to use a service where they can't file a chargeback with the purchase of a product from the actual seller of the product (such as Obopay - the buyer must upload funds to their account balance and then pay the merchant).

http://reviews.ebay.com/PayPal-Accepting-payments-guide-for-new-sellers_W0QQugidZ10000000004223522

http://checkout.google.com/support/sell/bin/answer.py?answer=42863
  11. livewire

livewire Banned Member

I could get a merchant account. But you want to be choosy about who you use. Some like pipeline data are horrible and others are just as bad. I wanted to use my bank Bank of america because all payments are in my account the next day.

I had good credit till i started seeing things showing up on my credit that were not mine. Turns out (this is freaky to) My ss # was also given a girl about 5 years younger then me when she applied for her SS. Social security has admited that it was thier fault but so far have yet to give me a new #.

I treat my customers great. But i dont like paypal butting into my business. They call me and start asking what was this payment for and what was this for. When your doing thousands of dollars a week upon thousands sometimes 20-30000 a week they start fishing around to much and its not their business. I never have had one charge back or any complaints so dont bother me but yet they do.

I could use paypal but its just a pain plus they are no help if you ever have a problem.
  12. Pete

Pete

Can all you do is whine?

There are many card processors out there that are good. They wouldn't stay in business if they were not. Are they perfect? No. Are some worse than others? Yes. Do they have hidden charges? Some od, others don't.

By far the best deal will probably be through either Price Club or Sam's Club, if you are a member.

But, just like PayPal, they are going to limit the amount you can run through in a given month. The amount will build as you prove to them that you don't have problems.

Read here and other sites about payment processors, including PP and you'll see that simce they all stand to lose if you sign up, sell $ 30,000 in a week, don't deliver and clear out your bank account, It's been done before and they try to have it happen again.

Nothing personal. It's how they operate. My third month online I had a customer call on the 25th and tell me they could not get their card through and knew it was good. They had cut me off at $ 2500 or $ 3000. Just a phone call got it bumped to $ 4000, and it's never been a problem. They just bump as needed.

You need to change your attitude. How much would you be selling without them?

If you can get a merchant account - do it. If you can't live with what you've got and be thankful. You could have to work for a living.
  13. livewire

livewire Banned Member

Im not whinning. I am just stating what i have found in the past.
    I may try paypal again. I actually never had problems with google for the longest time but then when i did have a problem they were not there for me. I actually prefered them over paypal for a while because it was easy no one ever called me no one told me i was not allowed to process to much in a week.

But then when someone tried a chargeback on something they had received and i got worried google was not there for me. In fact it took a week to get an email from them. I found they had no phone # to contact to talk to someone. that did it for me. I won my chargeback but the fact that i am working with a company who had no phone #.

PLus i hear complaints about peopel getting scammed on paypal and have had requests for other places to do business.
  14. Pete

Pete

There are options out there. But they are all going to cost more than PP and with the amount of sales you have you would be better off with a merchant account.

There are plenty of decent ones out there.

As an old-timer, I've had merchant accounts since the 70's. Maybe one that was not good, all the others were OK. Rates kept going down, so I'd make a change. Most I could not tell one from another, to be honest.
  15. bhsizemo11

bhsizemo11

Based on your statements, I don't think you'll be happy with any company processing cards. Ultimately, everyone answers to AMEX/Discover/MC/Visa. The protection for a seller comes from the protection policies set forth from GCO/PayPal or your merchant processor. I've always followed all of the processor requirements, never making exceptions, and have yet to lose a chargeback (very few filed).

Are these people "scammed" from merchant processers following all the seller protection policies? Many (including people on this forum) haven't taken the time to actually read AND follow all policies, completely. You will always find complaints against a company, even the best companies out there, but when's the last time you came across a dedicated site praising a company?
  16. consultant

consultant

Aimed at the UK people, if you join the Federation of Small Businesses, you can get a streamline deal of:
    Mastercard 1.95%
    Visa credit card 1.93%
    Visa debit cards 30.5p per transaction
    Maestro Cards 29.5p per transaction
    Company Cards 2.45%
    Cardholder not present 0.5% and 5P to be added to above pricing
    No Setup
    No Monthlies

This does not include the web charges, but for CC, it is good. You can then choose your web provider.
  17. Sport Arena

Sport Arena

Someone offered me to sell items but the price is suspiciously low but MOQ is 10 pcs.

DO I have chance to get back my money if I pay with credit card but I never receive the items??

If he offer Credit card/Google checkout as payment method does it means that he is reliable and doesn't want to steal my money??
  18. livewire

livewire Banned Member

i have been scammed by people with google checkout so that doesnt mean anything
  19. livewire

livewire Banned Member

i know a merchant account is the best way and im seriously looking at that. I would use google over Paypal. The biggest problem is paypal is choice for many scammers. I have had people send me something soley for the purpose of having a tracking # but what i was sent was nothing compared to what i paid for.
    If it had not been for my credit card company i would have lost the money because paypal all they could say was well it was sent. yea 2 weeks late and by that time i had filed a complaint with paypal.

Paypal has its ups but for the most part i try not to use them.
    If your going to use Pro pay you might as well get a merchant account

I agree that even the largest of businesses get chargebacks. Because at times even they do not follow thier own posted rules. Just as there are scammers that try to scam you into buying there are scammers who will buy something and then file a chargeback and sometimes they win
  20. Fuzzbutt

Fuzzbutt

I can't find your PM button! I noticed that Google Checkout have much lower fees than PayPal, but I'm also going to look at getting a UK merchant account, as I am moving over to OSCommerce soon and want to try and ditch PayPal, as they are taking on average £70/month of my gross with their extortionate fees :mad:. Protx £20/month doesn't seem bad but I just have to find the merchant account with the lowest "take" on top of that £20.

So merchant accounts don't charge a monthly fee - is it only per transaction? I need to find a comparison list of all the UK bank merchant accounts, can anyone help?

You must be a member to reply…

Why should you join us?

• Networking Opportunities
  • Find Genuine Wholesalers
  • Source Profitable Stock
  • 100,000 Members Strong