1. Hello Guest, to participate in discussions just click the "JOIN NOW" button and sign up for FREE!

Christmas is Coming - Be Wary of PayPal Scams!

Discussion in 'Payment & Shipping' started by Erik, Dec 8, 2016.

1. Erik

Erik

Christmas is just around the corner, and when it's Christmas, money is always involved. With money involvement, scams are surely around as well.

We all know of scam emails. Apparently, email scams are again hitting the airwaves, so I think it is best to remind everyone again to be wary especially in this busy season.

I woke up this morning with a couple of emails on my phone, almost panicked when I saw in the notification (on the phone's lock screen) that my PayPal account had an unauthorised access! Opening the email, and I saw these 2:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

These 2 emails came in just minutes apart, and that I felt nervous, knowing that I just withdrew money (to my bank) yesterday.

Being a security-conscious guy, I checked where did the emails come from, these are what I saw:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    *looks legit! :D*

Well of course, I highly doubt that PayPal would use a different email domain, so it's an obvious sign. What's curious is that they sent an email to my account that has the same PayPal account linked, all the more this type of email may seem more dangerous, especially for individuals who check emails using only mobile phones, or that those who do not check the sender.

So again, this is to remind everyone, be wary of emails. For everyone, here are a few things I usually do to ensure I am safe:

1. Check the sender - It is not always best to rely on the sender name alone. Anyone can use the name "PayPal" as the sender. So instead, check the whole email address. If it does not say "@paypal.com" or "@***.paypal.com", then it is likely a scam.

2. Do not click the links - If you feel like your account might be compromised, just go directly to PayPal's website and change your account details from there. Do not rely on links in your email that asks you to update your details, regardless if you are sure that it is PayPal sending you the email, it is still best to do account modifications directly yourself.

3. Always check your account's history - This may be a super suspicious move already, but it is good to check your account transaction history from time to time (if not always). Check if there are any transactions that you are not aware or do not remember, and decide whether your account has been compromised or not.

4. Directly contact PayPal support - in some instances where you might be unsure of an email that comes in, directly contact PayPal support and ask them if they indeed sent you a message, or to verify the message if it is legit or otherwise. Not only you can ensure yourself if an email is true, you may also be able to help PayPal be aware that such different scam is in the air.

Extra: In case you received such an email, do not hesitate to report it. Here's how:
    https://www.paypal.com/ph/selfhelp/article/how-do-i-report-a-fake-paypal-email-or-website-faq438

Remember, as Christmas comes nearer and nearer, there will be more and more attempts of scam that will come in. When it comes to money of course, it is always better to be safe, than be sorry!

P.S.

Out of curiosity, I tried checking the IP address that the supposed email said that "compromised my account". Well guess where it came from?

[​IMG]
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2016
    Import Expert likes this.
  2. beacon hill

beacon hill

On top of your useful advice, I use Iconix that monitors all incoming emails ,
    and gives me a big green tick when it is a genuine PP E/bay email , and
    nothing when it is a scam

Sadly the Icinox download is no longer available.
    Still runs on my laptop as it is already on it

Is there any current software that will help verify incoming emails
    and which domain they have come from
  3. Huda

Huda

I almost got scammed by one of these :( There are fake iTunes emails too!
  4. beacon hill

beacon hill

There is also a useful guide on the Big river that may be of interest and help to some

Cody likes this.

You must be a member to reply…

Why should you join us?

• Networking Opportunities
  • Find Genuine Wholesalers
  • Source Profitable Stock
  • 100,000 Members Strong