1. Hello Guest, to participate in discussions just click the "JOIN NOW" button and sign up for FREE!

Doing business with Askwear Clothing Manufacturer

Discussion in 'China Sourcing' started by Dermeko Armstrong, Nov 3, 2015.

1. Dermeko Armstrong

Dermeko Armstrong

Hello,

I'm new to the forum and the whole clothing line industry. I am in the process of starting a clothing line and will be starting out by selling my product online. Over the past months, I've been communicating with a clothing manufacturer in China by the name of Askwear. About a month ago, I mailed them sample pieces that I wanted them to make for me after several months of communicating about different designs, patterns, and fabrics. They ensured me that they would be able to make the pieces to my specifications. Upon receipt of them receiving the samples, they requested that I pay them $120.00 to make two sample pieces with embroidery and requested that I send it via Western Union. Now I was little skeptical at first about the whole Western Union thing and asked if they accepted Paypal but they said they didn't. But I thought it's only $120.00 and a few years ago I did business with a company in China where I ordered a few clothes for myself and had to pay via Western Union and I did receive the product. So I went ahead and sent the money which was on October 23rd. They confirmed that they received the payment the same day and would start right away working on the samples and it would take about two weeks. I emailed them on the 27th and asked for pictures. They replied stating they were working on the paper pieces at the time and would send pictures once they had begun work on the fabrics. I waited and sent a follow up email on the 30th and I did not get a reply. I sent one on the 31st and did not get a reply. Since then I have sent quite a few emails and still haven't gotten a reply. So at this point I am a little concerned because the communication was constant and consistent up until this point....after they had gotten my money. So has anyone ever heard of this company or did business with them? Do you think that there should be a reason for concern right now? PLEASE HELP!
    Cody likes this.
  2. Erik

Erik

Hi Dermeko,

Do you have any other contacts from that company? If you have, you could try to contact them and inform them that there has been no update regarding your request.

I think it is also best to double check everything, if you do not have another person to contact, look them up and see where it leads you. Also check the email address the first person used to contact you. If it is a generic email (gmail, yahoo, etc), then I would fear the worst right away.

I did check and seems like they have quite the reach, even has a Facebook and Twitter account. I suggest contacting their pages and see whether they would reply there. I think as long as there is a means to contact them (even via social media accounts) then there is no need to worry. I am having doubts anyway as they have these social accounts in which they have to take care of, much more with their business on the line.

Also, a simple task, maybe the replies went into your spam folder? It won't hurt to check them there.

Hope everything works out well for you.
    Dermeko Armstrong likes this.
  3. Dermeko Armstrong

Dermeko Armstrong

Hey thanks Erik. They actually sent a reply email the same day I posted this thread and stated that they needed to make my "land on the waist" (whatever that means) and that they needed more time...an additional 5-6 days. However, I asked for pics and they still haven't sent any. Hopefully they are being truthful and theirs nothing else to worry about.
    Erik likes this.
  4. Erik

Erik

Good to know! Give us updates on whether they did deliver or not!

All the best!
  5. Dermeko Armstrong

Dermeko Armstrong

***UPDATE***

Well it's been five days now and I still have not received any pictures of the sample work. I received an email from them on yesterday stating they were finishing up and would send pictures to me on today. However, I've sent emails this morning asking for those pictures and I haven't gotten a response. But what I did find strange and interesting is that I came across another clothing manufacturing company in China and had been communicating with them for the past week on doing business as well. I sent photos of a couple of pieces I wanted them to make samples out of and they replied today and quoted me the amount that it would cost for the sample pieces plus the amount it would cost per piece for the bulk order if I was satisfied with the sample. They requested that I send them the money via Western Union just as Askwear did. However, when I looked at the invoice I noticed that the receivers information for Western Union was the EXACT SAME information for the receiver from Askwear. So I emailed back and asked if Panda Tailor had any affiliation with Askwear considering the Western Union information was the same and she replied saying that they were not the same company. I wrote her back and advised her how awfully strange that was considering they both had the same Western Union information (receivers name, address, phone number, etc. all matched). I even included a copy of the email to her that I received from Askwear and she did not reply back. At this point I am starting to think that I have been scammed and it's very frustrating because they are basically crushing dreams and goals of those who are trying to be successful in their passion. Below you will find a copy of the emails from this morning between the person and I from Panda Tailor. Any suggestions at this point?

Dermeko Armstrong <**********************>
    To
    Lishi nana
    Today at 10:21 AM
    Ok I have been working with Askwear clothing and it seems like you guys are the same company. I requested a sample piece of two other items and I sent the payment to the same name about a month ago. I am still waiting to see pictures from that order.

Show original message
    Reply, Reply All or Forward | More

Lishi nana <*************************>
    To
    Dermeko Armstrong
    Today at 10:28 AM
    Sorry but we are not same company .

2015-11-11 23:21 GMT+08:00 Dermeko Armstrong <**********************>:
    Show original message

Dermeko Armstrong <**********************>
    To
    Lishi nana
    Today at 10:kiss:4 AM
    The name of the receiver at Western Union and contact information that you provided me on your invoice is the same information that I received from Askwear from a person by the name of Vi Visri to send the first payment to as you can see from the copy of the email below.
    Vi ViSRI <********************>
    To
    Lotoris Harris
    Oct 21 at 11:kiss:4 AM
    This is our western union informations:
    first name: Su
    last name: Li
    city:heyuan
    province: guangdong
    post code:517000.
    address: NO.18,xiangxing road,Heyuan city,Guangdong ,China.
    phone number:86-18676224141

2015-10-21 16:kiss:5 GMT+08:00 Lotoris Harris <**********************>:
    Show original message

Show original message
  6. Dave Casuals

Dave Casuals

i would be careful about doing any business witth clothing manufacturers overseas if you are manufacturing bespoke garments unless you have alot of money to invest. Whether it's China, India or Turkey for example it is best to go over there and visit the factory prior to getting any work done and speak face to face.

I have dealt with a number of manufacturers when manufacturing garments according to my requirements and have had problems with nearly every company i have used and along the way lost more money than have made. I didn't have the capital to travel and on both recent ocassions using 2 different manufacturers for garments over £2000 i had samples made which were perfect. When the main productions arrived these were below standard and not as per the original sample and you will find this happens alot. You need to have garments quality checked during and after manufacturer and most manufacturers do not do this. I had a recent garment made that had an all over printed pattern. When the garments arrived the print quality was bad in places. I have good garments that can be sold but many that i cannot even sell as seconds and when costs are factored in the whole process has been a waste of time and i will be lucky just to get my original costs back.

Another manufacturer made some shirts for us. Samples were excellent but the shirts came with a problem with the buttons and this was on every shirt. I had to have these re-done by a uk company and again the costs do sort these problems out have taken any profit from the actual sale of the garment. I have a manufacturer abroad who i use the moment who's actual garment quality is excellent and cannot fault communication but we still have issues so i try to get them to send me garments during production. After all the issues experienced i do not trust anyone but myself to quality check. Most brands have people over there that do the quality inspections within the factory but anyone starting small really needs to consider this as the worst thing that can happen is your whole batch arrives and have faults.

if the factory you are using cannot even communicate on a daily basis they i would avoid at all costs. Even if you did get samples made how are you going to be able to communicate during the actual production process. I would cut my losses and move on and think about using a company there is easier to contact and that actually understands your requirements. If there is a language barrier then this will also result in problems.
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2015
    ylliu6688 likes this.
  7. Dermeko Armstrong

Dermeko Armstrong

Dave,

Thanks for responding. It's funny because once I emailed them my concerns they immediately emailed me back telling me how they were not scammers and advising that the time zone difference is why it takes them so long to respond, and also due to the fact that it takes quite some time to make the pieces that I am asking for. I told them I understood that but that the communication should still be a lot better and sending periodic pictures of the production process should be mandatory and should not be an issue. Then around 3:00 am last night, they sent me a photo of the waistband that they are working on with my company name embroidered on it. I was a little excited to say the least because it does it appear that they are working on it. But i am still concerned about the communication process and whether or not they can truly be depended on. Also, I am still a little concerned as to why the young lady from the other company (Panda Tailor) would say that they have no affiliation with AskWear when they both have the EXACT SAME Western Union payment information. So although I feel a little better because I saw the images of the process so far, I am still a little on edge. With that being said, is there a reputable company that you could recommend that can make men's undergarments at decent prices?
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2015
  8. iisara

iisara

Hi Dermeko,

I have been searching for manufacturer with low MOQ and happen to chance upon askwear.com. I contacted them this week about custom samples and they said they were able to make samples for me. I plan to make a trip to visit the factory before placing orders or transferring money over so I asked them if i can visit the factory and if they will be closed during Chinese New Year period ( 8 Feb is the first day of Chinese New Year and China's holiday could take up to 14 days), however, i have not heard from them. I would like to check with you if you have received your products and how is the quality?
  9. leonyu

leonyu

SURELY visiting the supplier will help you check them better. Good luck.
  10. bsearl01

bsearl01

DID YOU EVER GO THROUGH WITH THIS COMPANY AND IF SO HOW DID THINGS TURN OUT.
  11. bsearl01

bsearl01

DID YOU EVER RECEIVE YOUR SAMPLES? AND IF SO HOW DID THEY TURN OUT? THANKS
  12. Dermeko Armstrong

Dermeko Armstrong

Hello Guys!

I apologize for the delay but I've been very very busy lately. Unfortunately, I NEVER received the product or any other replies from them so I advise any and everyone to STAY AWAY from them. They are complete scammers!!! I am still trying to find a way to receive a refund and/or have them prosecuted.

Furthermore, I was lucky to find another company that accepts low MOQ and they are great in the communication process and keeping you up to date with the progress of your samples and other work. I even had the pleasure of speaking with them over the phone. They made a sample for me and I did receive it. There was an issue with the sample though (wrong fabric used due to a misunderstanding) but they agreed to remake it for me at no cost. I'm not sure what kind of clothing or work you are looking to have done but I think they specialize in male and female under garments and lingerie. The name of their company is "Guangzhou Little Women Underwear Co. Ltd" and you can contact them by visiting *********************************************************.

I wish you the best with your project and let me know if there is anything else that I can do for you!

-Dermeko Armstrong
  13. johnrotan

johnrotan

I'm running my own clothing line, t-shirts and hoodie. I doing business with ASKWEAR from 2014 until now, every time samples and goods can be received, yesterday I just received my new samples.You said have not received any thing, may have any misunderstanding between you and them?
    Last edited: May 29, 2016
  14. bsearl01

bsearl01

I decided to go ahead of use this company when I wrote in her last. It did take them a while to send pictures and I tend to send email updates every 2 days if they fail to reply. Being given persistent helped me with this company. However I did receive my first samole piece. I did not like it at all so they are redoing it and the pics they have sent me of the revision so far nailed it on the pic hopefully in person it is just as great. They currently are making my 2nd sample piece and I am waiting for a picture. I am excited and nervous as this company has been in between on communication so that makes me a little worry but I will update again when I receive my two sample pieces in a couple weeks.
  15. bsearl01

bsearl01

I also have received my first sample pieces. Can you answer a few questions about them? Does communication seem to be consistent or delayed a lot. Have you done bulk orders and we're each item done exactly like sample piece? I'm on the next step of ordering bulk but nervous they finish items won't be as nice as the samples pieces. Did you have them make your hanging tags and clothing tags. If so how did it turn out? Thank you
  16. johnrotan

johnrotan

1: some time communication is delayed, I think it's little impact on me.
    2: Yes , I had produced some bulk order through them, quality is same as samples ( do an bulk order will be fast than make an new clothes sample, I don't know why ) .
    3: they produced label for me, some is common, some are special, quality is good. usual I use paper tags + braided cord .
  17. fads

fads

in the future, dont send money by western union unless its someone you know like family or friends, the $120 sounds pretty normal, many factories will charge you for samples but it should only be a deposit usually $100 per item and they will deduct it from your order once you place one,when possible its best to meet the supplier but not always necessary, make sure you get invoices with company heders and so on.
    I was living in china(guangzhou) for almost 4 years and worked as a buyer, unfortunately im back in london now, but i would be more than happy to recommend some suppliers, you can reach me by email: *******************

if you have any other questions dont hesitate to ask, i dont come on this site often so you can reach me by email
  18. CamillaAidoo

CamillaAidoo

I have had the same experience with PandaTailor. Recently I contacted them and got a reply from the same lady, Lishi Nana. I sent pictures of what I want samples of and got quick replies, everything seemed fine. She even said I would receive 25% of sample price when I bulk order. When I got the invoice I asked if they accepted PayPal and she said no. They only accepted bank to bank transfer when it came to the bulk orders and for samples they used Western Union.

At first it seemed very suspicious for me but I thought the deal was good as well as the company in general seemed legit, well except that they used gmail and not a professional email. She said Western Union was fast and easy. She repeated the fast and easy thing several times when I asked if they did not have any other option other than western union. At last I thought it was 200 usd and is not that much money to get scammed for so I did the payment. After the same day I did the payment the money was received. When I saw the notification I asked her when the sample production will begin and she said the next day. The day after I asked her to send a picture of the production and she said she would send it the next day.. And that was my last reply from her. This was the 2 March. Some days after I sent an email about not receiving the picture yet I got no replies. After some days I tried contacting them from Facebook and even the lady I was in contact with, Lishi Nanas Facebook.

At this point I am quite sure I have been scammed because even the number sent for me to use for the Western Union is not replying when I call. However, I just found another here:
    ************************************ that I will try to call. If they dont reply either it is definitely as scam.

For me, it just seems very stupid to scam people on 200 dollars and so one. It is not like they will be get any returning customers

You must be a member to reply…

Why should you join us?

• Networking Opportunities
  • Find Genuine Wholesalers
  • Source Profitable Stock
  • 100,000 Members Strong