1. To further expand the reach of our Marketplace and increase potential buyers, we have created two social accounts solely for the promotion of our Marketplace. Check it out here! Don't forget to follow our pages!
  2. We would like to know you better hence we made the the introductions more interesting. Would love to see you answer the questions here!
  3. The winners for the TWF Annual Survey Draw have been revealed! Are you one of them? Check the list of winners here.

eBay forcing sellers to pay return cost up to 45 days after sale

Discussion in 'eBay, Amazon & Online Marketplaces' started by ebaysucks, Aug 1, 2013.

Image has been removed.
This URL has been automatically filtered because it has been posted by a new member. Active URLs posted by new members are always filtered. Once members have 10 or more posts and have been registered for 10 or more days, this filtering will be removed. To post URLs within the restriction period, just remove the http:// section which makes the URL non-clickable (i.e. website.com).
This email address has been automatically filtered because it has been posted by a new member. Active email addresses posted by new members are always filtered. Once members have 10 or more posts and have been registered for 10 or more days, this filtering will be removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. ebaysucks

ebaysucks

Don't sign up to the new ebay returns policy ! if you do then Ebay will be deducting the cost of all returns from buyers from your paypal account for up to 45 days after the sale. Buyers just have to select item not as described and then the sellers account will be charged. This means you can use something free for 44 days when you buy through ebay- use it then send it back !
  2. Dean

Dean

I think you've misunderstood somewhere! Which return costs? Under which circumstances (faulty, change if mind, etc)?
  3. Dean

Dean

Ok I've just read it and I see what you mean now. If you do send the wrong item then you are liable for return postage anyway but I see what you mean about someone could lie about a not as described.

In reality do you think lots of people will do this though? I've never had these sort of problems with buyers but I guess it depends on what you sell.
  4. ebaysucks

ebaysucks

the buyer can return it for any reason i.e. if they don't want it anymore then they will just say it's not as described to ensure that they do not have to pay postage and the postage is charged to the seller. at least at the minute if the buyer wants to return something he has to pay return costs whether its a wrong item, faulty item or if he just doesn't want it.
  5. PJAS

PJAS

Won't the buyer need to prove that it wasn't as described to a sufficient level?

I mean if you are selling a t shirt, and you list the brand, colour, size, all different measurements, gender if applicable, material, washing instructions etc. can they still say it isn't as described, without a good enough reason?
  6. MSFB

MSFB

is this with ebays new 'managed returns' thing?
  7. megadanny1

megadanny1

i would have a look at the DSR if i was you i do believe the seller does currently have to pay return postage
  8. tmundrill

tmundrill

Who pays for return postage and the original postage costs?
    In general, the seller is obliged to pay for the return postage unless you’ve specifically provided, within your returns policy, that you require the buyer to pay for it.

As per the above, you can specify that buyer pays returns cost when you change your settings to the new 14 day returns period.
  9. Dean

Dean

The OP is talking about the new Managed Returns Service you have to opt in it. It says that even if you state buyers are liable for return postage, for an item not as described return, EBay will charge the seller for the return postage. It basically a pre-paid returns process and the customer prints out a postage label for Collect+ I believe.
  10. megadanny1

megadanny1

i saw that, seems interesting and sellers can report missuse of the labels so they don't have to pay although ebay might side with the buyer as normal

do Collect+ have their own couriers or do they subcontract out to a company like Hermes.
  11. Import Export Business

Import Export Business

Hi!
    I know it would be a pain for sellers to have this policy on eBay. But as I have read, the sellers have their right to appeal if they know the buyer filed a case against them. We could not avoid such buyers. But instead, you could do something in your part like describing the product well, clearly stating any flaws. Additionally, you should also ship with a carrier that provides shipping information. Upload item tracking info on your eBay account. Do things that would make your customers satisfied with your service.
  12. Fishpalace

Fishpalace

I have signed up and extended my returns policy for many items to 30 days.

Since starting 7 months ago I have had very few issues relating to returns so I am not concerned, will probably have loads now, as this is part of the risk you take when trading on line.

Depends on what you sell and quality of goods too along with how clear your listings are.

I have a choice, play by eBay rules or go somewhere else and whilst there are rules that I don't like eBay gives me access to millions of people and I make money so I am here to stay.
  13. Number42

Number42

One of my shops trades in the clothing and apparel sector. This wouldn't be very good for us as clothing gets higher returns due to people not following the correct measuring guides and just assuming it will fit them.

Also it's interesting to note that approx 30% of the time they let us know through the "not as described" button as in their mind they thought the size was either larger or smaller than it is regardless of us writing the measurements in large bold.

Till now buyers have always had to pay the return postage cost unless our fault but if this is put into place mandatory looks like it will effect the ebay clothing sellers quite a bit.
  14. Dean

Dean

I can't see that they can make it mandatory as they are not the enforcers of regulations such as DSR and SOGA. Its one thing to refund the exact money that a buyer has paid a seller, but to start charging extra money for returns when a seller has not agreed to it and they may not have all the facts is rather silly on their part. This is why its an opt in only - they need sellers to specifically agree and give permission to it first.
  15. Sc0tty

Sc0tty

When it comes to returns and I am liable to pay costs. I just send them a return envelope. The cost for me to post it is much less than they have to pay.
  16. Gary

Gary

For now, just wait until it's mandatory for TRS, wouldn't surprise me one day
  17. Dean

Dean

LOL! Good point!
  18. JermaineR8

JermaineR8

Any help on where I stand,

I purchased two clothing items from ebay, the material was much shiner than in the photo. I returned them and received a refund today minus the original postage I paid.

Essentially I have paid postage twice amounting to £10, roughly £5 each way and have nothing to show for it. I have already messaged him about my original postage fee as I want it back, but does this mean I can even get the return postage fee back?
  19. Sc0tty

Sc0tty

Yes if it is not as described, though if its because you dont like it then No. Though good luck with getting eBay or Paypal to force the return of any amount over which you paid originally.
  20. jamhun

jamhun

Sounds like an item not as described, therefore you should be entitled to the full amount that you paid plus the cost of sending them back.

James
    JermaineR8 likes this.

You must be a member to reply…

Why should you join us?

• Networking Opportunities
  • Find Genuine Wholesalers
  • Source Profitable Stock
  • 100,000 Members Strong