External warehouse for labeling and manual loading

Discussion in 'General Wholesale' started by harvey2016, Nov 19, 2016.

1. harvey2016

harvey2016

hi All. Can I get here some advice on using outsourced warehouse for labeling and manual loading?
    I am UK registered business, looking to start export british food. Some of my suppliers do not provide labeling and hanball loading wich is required by importer. If I decide to use external warehouse to do the job for me, what shall I pay attention to? Is there any risk? What documents should be produced when shifting the goods from supplier to warehouse and from warehouse to freight forwarder? Once the goods are labeled, I would arrange freight forwarder to place a container and take it to the port where it will exit UK. Hope this make sense.

Thank you for your help in advance
  2. Erik

Erik

Hi @harvey2016 ,

I believe what you should care about most for picking a labeler company, is whether they are BRC/IoP Accredited. This accreditation is important as this determines whether the company takes care of your products, ensuring quality, hygiene, and safety. Another thing you should take note of is of course, quality control, as you have to personally ensure that your food products were not contaminated in any way during labeling process.

More info on BRC / IoP Accreditation in this document:
    http://www.packagingfedn.co.uk/images/reports/Technical_Standard.doc

For documents regarding shifting from labeler to forwarder, you could ask either the labeling company on the requirements - and whether they can also do label, pack and ship, or ask freight forwarders if they could coordinate with your labeler and can do the pick-up themselves.

Perhaps @Import Expert and @Power Forwarding could give their thoughts on this.

All the best!
  3. Import Expert

Import Expert

Hi Harvey,

Most important point is probably to ensure that any products you export are allowed in the country of destination and ensuring that if any do require certification/labelling requirements for that country, that this is done. If not, you may find goods getting refused at country of import which could be very costly.
  4. harvey2016

harvey2016

Thank you Erik, thank you Import Expert. Will check this carefully.

What kind of documents shall be produce on shifting from my supplier to labeller?
    From labeller to freight forwarder? Collection/delivery note? Anything else?
  5. Import Expert

Import Expert

If you will be exporting goods via sea/air then the freight forwarder will raise a Bill of lading / Airway Bill which is the main shipping document. You will probably just need to produce a commercial invoice and maybe packing list. Your freight forwarder can collect goods from you for loading, or you can deliver in to them.
  6. Import Expert

Import Expert

Yes indeed.
    smartlifeuk likes this.

You must be a member to reply…

Why should you join us?

• Networking Opportunities
  • Find Genuine Wholesalers
  • Source Profitable Stock
  • 100,000 Members Strong