1. Hello Guest, Thanks for visiting The Wholesale Forums! Register for FREE today. Sign up with Facebook, Twitter, or Google.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Thanks for visiting The Wholesale Forums! Register for FREE today and gain access to more information. Sign up with Facebook, Twitter, or Google.

Getting To Know You - Answer our Questions!

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Erik, Jun 11, 2014.

1. Erik

Erik

Hello Everyone,

We are so happy to see new personalities joining TWF each day, and we are amazed as to how many have registered to be a part of this community. However, we figured that mere business introductions are not enough for all our members, old and new, to know one another. As such, we would like to make introductions a bit more interesting than the usual, and remember, taking part is one step into making new connections!

As part of your introductions, reply to this thread with answers to the following questions:

What do you want us (the community) to call you?
    Describe your job in 10 words
    What time do you start and finish work?
    What Product / Service Categories are you into?
    What is your smartest business idea?
    What are you listening to at the moment?
    What is your guilty pleasure?
    Who has been your biggest influence?
    What is your golden rule?
    When was the last time you lost your temper at work?
    Have you ever lied at work?
    If you had not been in business, what would you have done?
    What is your most hated business expression?
    How important is money?
    How do you want to be remembered?
    What's your main reason for being part of the TWF community?

We hope to get to know more of you and we also encourage regular members to join in!
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2014
  2. Erik

Erik

To start things up, here are my answers to those questions:
    - Erik would be fine :). But "All Hail Handsome Erik" would be better!

Describe your job in 10 words.
    - I Ban Spammers. End. Period. Finished. Done. Okay. Thanks. Bye.

- Start at 0900 and I usually finish 5-ish depending on how many spammers are there during end shift lol.

- If I were to ask? Computers, Electronics, Mobile Phones.... and Games!

- A small phone monopod (about 12cm) that you could tie onto your neck so you could read on your phone without holding it while lying on the bed..... That's just me though... (Tell me if this type of product is already out in the market)

- Peppa Pig's voice. My daughter gave me an assignment to look up Peppa Pig on Youtube (she's just 2 anyway).
    ... And Voila!

- Smoking, and oh, can Eating be included?

- Elon Musk. God, I just wish I could afford one of those Teslas!

- Don't piss off the one who prepares food at home.

- Back when I was not working here (being a Game Master). Believe me managing gamers is terrible job!

- Should I answer this one? @Helen ? (This is awkward)

- Not in business right now (still compiling funding) but I guess if not, I'd be selling body parts :p

- Setting expectations.

How important is money?
    - Pays the bills and keeps food on the table.

- Erik: "He didn't die, he respawns"

- Got excellent tips here without asking questions actually, got me more and more interested in starting my own business!
  3. Pete

Pete

Pete is fine

Keep my wife from drowning us in debt

08:kiss:0 / 22:kiss:0 But take some time off through the day

Electronics and many other goods from China. No clothes, shoes, handbags, cosmetics

Joining TWF, although I did not know it at the time

Jook Joint Blues

Boobs

An old timer named Walter Nash with the Monroe Auto Equipment Company who almost singlehandedly took a piece of metal hanging on a car from just another car part and made it an item that was considered an item that had to be replaced regularly. Nearly blind, with true "coke bottle" lens glasses, he managed to convince several people in the Northeast US to invest in inventory of an item that until that time had only been replaced when broken and by days and months of "missionary work" convinced the world that shock absorbers needed to be replaced.

Just that

Hmm, what time is it now? :)

Mostly to myself

My high school yearbook said I was going to be a chemist. Perish the thought!

"That's on backorder"

How important is money?
    Quite

As helping and inspiring throngs of members of TWF to become independent business people.

I came here and stayed to help the newbies with my years of small business experience. It was years before I offered the first item for sale. However, since also selling here, that would now have to be part B of the main reason. :)
  4. Import Expert

Import Expert

• What do you want us (the community) to call you?
    'Darren' is good. It's also my name so kind of works well. Import Expert is good too - makes me feel special.

• Describe your job in 10 words
    The bits that others don't do. Some David Brent moments.

• What time do you start and finish work?
    'Officially' 9-5, but I'm usually in around half eight and leave just after six. Available on email during any other awake moments.

• What Product / Service Categories are you into?
    Services I guess - I represent a UK freight forwarder.

• What is your smartest business idea?
    When I was about ten I invented a new board game. Never did anything with it other than play it with my friends. Probably saved me a fortune.

• What are you listening to at the moment?
    The Pearsons. But that could last literally just minutes.

• What is your guilty pleasure?
    A nice Single Malt Whiskey

• Who has been your biggest influence?
    Sounds very corny but my parents. They didn't have much but brought me up well.

• What is your golden rule?
    This sounds corny as well. Am I corny? "Never judge a book by it's cover." It's so true.

• When was the last time you lost your temper at work?
    I never lose my temper. Frustrates the hell out of my wife if she tries to start an argument.

• Have you ever lied at work?
    In my old job I was always told that lying is part of being a good freight forwarder. "Your delivery unfortunately won't happen today because the drivers mother has passed away". No one can give you grief over that. Luckily things have changed as everything is much more transparent nowadays.

• If you had not been in business, what would you have done?
    Our careers guidance officer at school told pretty much everyone to be a civil engineer (her husband was one - not sure if that was why). I would have liked to have been a good quality chef (unfortunately now every man and his dog wants to be one)

• What is your most hated business expression?
    It's actually a word - 'Entrepreneur'. Used far too often nowadays by those who really are not.

• How important is money?
    Like most people I would love to have loads of money - It makes life less problematic. (I most certainly don't have any - My bank statement seems to show lots of big figures but with the letters OD next to it?). But when you die you can't spend it and it can't save you, so, you decide.

• How do you want to be remembered?
    Not so much 'how' - But I would like to be remembered.

• What's your main reason for being part of the TWF community?
    I give advice on what I know and I learn a lot about what I don't know, meeting a lot of good people along the way.
    sukkilee, Mark-liu, Niranjan and 4 others like this.
  5. Dean

Dean

Sir! :D LOL! Dean is fine.

Customer services, IT technician, accountant, boss, manager, skivvy, general dogsbody!

Usually 10am - 6pm as I miss all the rush hour traffic then.

Retail and Wholesale... that's all you're getting ;)

Do you want the keys to my house too!! LOL, thats a secret that one.

The printer, churning away on its last legs by the sound of it!

Crisps! All of them!

My son, who survived a brain tumour as a toddler. The bravest person I know.

Don't give away your best ideas.

Yesterday! Swearing about stupid customers. Only my staff could hear me thankfully. They just laugh!

I'd be lying if I said no!

I would probably still be in IT and still hating every minute of it.

Probably all of them - http://www.businessenglishresources...iness-vocabulary/most-common-business-idioms/ - even if I use some of them myself!

How important is money?
    Its not the be all and end all but it does make life easier and more enjoyable.

As a good Dad to my kids.

I originally came here for knowledge and advice which I got in abundance. Apart from helping to moderate the forum, I'm happy to help others in return for all the useful knowledge I gained. "Giving something back" as they say. There's one of those bloody business expressions :D
  6. Gary

Gary

Whatever they like, whatever it is I'm sure I've been called worse ;)

Just about everything!

I try to start at 9 and finish around 5 - 6 but I often pop on and do things if they need doing, I hate leaving anything unfinished!

Barcodes & eBay Templates primarily, not saying any more ;)

Shame I never benefitted from it but it was a tablet PC (seriously), I had the idea the very first time I saw a digital photo frame and said "one day you'll be able to watch films, listen to music and go online with something like this, that would be well cool", I wonder if one of the people I said it to sold the idea and is now stinking rich!

Got CITV on in the background because my daughter is home from school

It has to be smoking, but wish I didn't so not really a pleasure a lot of the time, more of a habit but always got too much going on to be able to give up!

Me, sounds big headed I know but I look at what is and think of what I want there to be, don't need anything else!

If something is worth doing then it's worth doing properly, or at least to the best of your ability then learn to get better

I don't really, just when software, etc. hangs or crashes making things take longer than they should!

I don't lie, period!

Not sure as I always wanted to be in business, but if my health was better I would have quite liked to be a Fireman (when I was younger).

"Do something you're interested in", always hated this for several reasons, the most being it can be the worst advice ever, depending on what the interest is it has probably caused more businesses to fail than it has to succeed.

How important is money?

I wish we didn't need it, life would be far simpler, however we do, but you can't take it with you when you go so enough to live a semi-comfortable lifestyle and leave my daughter a little something when I snuff it will have to do ;)

Before I die I want to do something great for charity, like sponsor a ward or a research facility

I ask myself that question sometimes....;)

Seriously, I like helping others and reading about a range of people and their ideas (good or bad), guess it's just the forum culture that I enjoy, as primarily I have researched if I need to know anything and as a rule I don't often ask questions :\
  7. Helen

Helen

Helen or 'Chief Eater of Cheese' to more accurately describe
    Skyper, Talker, Dogsbody, encourager of interaction and website keepy uppy
    usually computer 8.30 - 7.20ish (train dictated!), mobile all other times
    Everything eCommerce
    'The Big Flat Pancake Company' at Young Enterpise selling takeaway pancakes at lunch. 500% profit in 2 sessions. Idea now stolen by 'Crepe'. Sad Times.
    Hozier - 'Take me to Church', a friend gave me a spare ticket to his concert in London last week and he was amazing.
    After a good day on train home - Headphones in, good kindle book, little bottle of red wine and a cheese and tomato pretzel from 'Knot' at Clapham Junction
    knot.jpg
    William Ernest Henley since reading the poem 'Invictus' as a teenage. He suffered from painful tuberculosis his whole life, as a teenager in the same year as his father died losing the family money, he had his left leg amputated, but still managed to be resilient and successful, also inspiring the character 'Long John Silver', he later chose to amputate his other leg to save his own life, and endured losing his daughter who inspired the character Wendy in Peter Pan . I have a tattoo of the title of the poem :)
    Love many, trust a few, always paddle your own canoe
    About a year ago when I realised someone who worked for me (nothing to do with TWF :D) that I had done alot for, was planning to betray me and had lied to my face, and I had to sit, watch and let them go through with their plan so I had actionable proof afterwards.
    Before I learnt that managing people is always better done with honest feedback, rather than the S&^t Sandwich
    In a rock and roll band. I can't sing or play any instrument well, so I think it would have been a Bez situation.
    Not really an expression, but when people are talking on a call about something they have absolutely no expertise on and they use my name, as if I can't remember it.
    How important is money?
    Not having it is tough, so it's important... but the moment you make your life about it, you're probably sentencing yourself to perpetually chasing it/keeping it to feel happy.
    For people to smile when they are reminded of me
    TWF is a community where people have always helped each other and support each other's business, whether through advice or networking or purchasing, whilst having fun, in a sector where otherwise alot might be done in isolation. I think that's a place and a group worth having, and promoting to people to join.
  8. AArcher87

AArcher87

Aaron is fine, but some people call me Archer (last name)

Unemployed, but volunteer for a local theatre group regularly now.

I never really start, in the traditional sense. But at the same time, I stop at about half 5pm and make the dinner, etc.

Games, phones, etc. However, if I were to start a business I'd probably try to avoid that, at least to begin with.

I have ideas all the time, not sure I'd call them smart though...

The TV, and the cat meowing because she wants to come inside, despite the window being open for her.

Chopsticks. Using them whenever the opportunity arises.

Probably my girlfriend, who tells me if I'm being stupid or genius. Apparently, a fine line!

Change the world. Or at least be friendly to as many people as possible.

Probably when I handed my notice in at my last job. Didn't really lose my temper but got to that stage where I saw beyond it all.

Only eg. "My friend has that" in sales.

I'm not in business yet, but that's why I'm here!

Sales patter, phrases that people use to encourage people to sell.

How important is money?
    I'd rather run a business that employs 100 people at 15,000pa than have 1.5m of personal funds.

As the one who changed the world.

Learning. My journey isn't going to start with "Well, I jumped right in". I'm trying to learn everything I can before starting so I'm a bit more prepared.

Also, since this is my first ever post (party poppers, balloons? Anything?) I'd like to formally thank ladyvgw for all her fantastic guides and help with pretty much everything. Obviously, there are countless others but she has stood out as the most helpful for me.
  9. Flippinsweet|Danny

Flippinsweet|Danny

Danny :D

I print Apparel such as t-shirts, hoodies, workwear etc.

7.30am - 6pm ( if im lucky, usually later :p )

Apparel Printing

Starting ! Starting my own business was the best decision I've ever made

Elvis ! Long live the king !

A cheeky pint .. or ten .

Michael Schumacher ( I grew up a Motorsport fanatic !, Michaels work ethic, determination and never quit grit inspired me to ( i hope ) apply the same to everything i do in life too )

Customer satisfaction is golden!

About 30 seconds ago when I accidentally closed my browser halfway through typing this >.<

Nope

LOST ! I could never imagine not being in a business of some form, I always intended on being my own boss :D

"Satisfied". In regards to personally being satisfied with what I have achieved. Always room for improvement and strive for more !

How important is money?
    Its surely a measure of your success as a business, so pretty important :)

fondly

I yearn to learn, the advice I have found so far has been priceless and I sincerely hope I can contribute too :)
  10. Aontacht

Aontacht

Darren works, or pretty much anything. I'll generally respond to anything.

Director of Everything, paid about the same as an apprentice.

I never really stop working, as I'm always either tinkering or jotting down ideas/plans. I try to avoid actual work outside 7-7 though.

"Fast fashion" as a friend of mine likes to put it.

I've got an idea, but I'm not sharing it. All I'll say is it's to do with movies...

Nina Nesbitt - Peroxide

Smoking, although I am trying to give up.

My maternal grandparents. They always pushed me to try harder, but not in a bad way. They've both died now, but I like to think that I'm doing them proud.

Surround yourself with people smarter than you, and not afraid to challenge your ideas.

Today, with a supplier.

I never lie, because inevitably it'll come back to haunt you. I have however massaged the truth...

I probably would have been a teacher. Steady income, career progression, long holidays.
    Hang on, starting to think I've gone wrong somewhere.

Pretty much anything that sounds overly corporate. In my day job (fashion is a sideline at the moment) I tend to play BS Bingo in meetings, listening out for phrases like "black and white rainbow".

How important is money?

It's like air. It's only important when you're not getting it.

As a person who got stuff done.

See my golden rule.
  11. EpicWholesale

EpicWholesale Banned Member

Daniel
    Sell, create, manage, inspire, look after the customer END OV ;)
    My work is incredibly fun so I find it hard to stop!
    Beauty, Electronics, Clothing.
    To be different - never imitate.
    XX - The Intro
    I am a sucker for Beer and Sexy Ladies (my downfall o_O.)
    Many... I listen to many hours of philosophy and economics podcasts.
    Look after the customer, create value, be different.
    I never really loose my temper. Anger is a wasted emotion.
    Nobody to lie to - honesty is the best policy.
    Maybe the Armed forces - I am a natural leader.
    Entrepreneur
    How important is money?

Money is as important as the dreams and experiences it enables you to aquire.
    As someone who never ever gives up.
    I like to be a part of a great community of business people at every stage and level of development. Its been a pleasure so far!
    Mark-liu, Flippinsweet|Danny and Erik like this.
  12. psxgamer

psxgamer

I registered under the user psxgamer because I though nobody would know how to pronounce my name. In the meantime everybody calls me Koen which is my real name.

Only 10 words? webmaster, customer support agent, managing director, boss, marketeer, designer, copywrriter,... If feel running my business is like having 10 jobs at the same time.

10am-19pm but have may laptop with me most of the evening often ooking of new stock to buy.

Videogames, videogames, videogames

Startng my own website

All the great singers from talentshow worldwide

Chocolate. Don't blame me. I'm from Belgium, the country with the best chocolate in the world

My parents

If you do well, you'll meet well

The day I closed my Ebayshop. Feeling soooooo relaxed now

Yes, just yesterday. To a customer. I told I would post his order tomorrow because I would not make it to the post office today. As in fact I had just returned. I did some grocery shopping and completely forgot to stop by the post office.

I would still be in my former job teaching Window, Ms Office, internet,... to blind and visually impaired poeple.

Don't really have one. The one I do hate though is "We're the cheapest". Being the cheapest is not the best way to run your business.

How important is money?
    You must have money, but it's more important to do something you like to do.

As the person that got Ebay on its knees (yes, keep on dreaming. I know)

It's a great community. The first place I turn to if I have questions or need help. So try to help/give advice to other people to return the favour.
    Mark-liu, Flippinsweet|Danny and Erik like this.
  13. Jed

Jed

The title Sir J got thrown around and kind of stuck, so I embraced it and now roll with that.
    Job? Everyone says I don’t have one, especially the oldies
    Whenever takes my fancy
    Software mainly
    Every one I've ever had
    The girlfriend trying to tell me how spending £6,738 on shoes and clothes is in any way good.
    Eating chocolate and staring a gold bullion
    My dad
    Don't be a tool
    At my version of 'work', this morning
    I've never had 'colleagues' to lie to
    King, obviously
    All the rubbish that tries to dull down failure by saying keep trying again and that it's okay to fail. Well, you still failed.
    How important is money?
    It's more important than sex
    Not too bothered really, I'll be dead anyway so it wont have an effect on me
    Bit different from when I joined, but now it's mainly just to have a laugh and a bit of banter with other business minded people
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2014
  14. SyruM

SyruM

Hi All, pleasure to be here, riiiight lets get to this!

Doug would be cool, but you can call me any variation on it you like, I'm sure whatever it is I've heard it :D failing all that 'Sir Doogal' sounds alright! **edit**(Just noticed Sir J above, so I'm cool with "Lord" as a title).

Run an outsource sales and marketing business

9-5 and the rest

Video games, comic books and memorabilia

Still trying to work that out, I have a few but they are not smart until they work :)

Drum & Bass, Game & Movie soundtracks, Rock & Metal
    example: Die & Jenna G - 1000 Soul Songs

What is your guilty pleasure(s)?
    Chocolate, Cookies, 18th Century Art, Japanese anime, bad jokes and chocolate

Gosh not given it much thought, various artists and my family

Don't live with regrets and be happy. Also don't give into stress, all it does is make you loose perspective and make the wrong choices

I refuse to die from stress and I don't loose my temper at work as its not beneficial to anyone, but I feel frustration frequently :D

Yes, when I said my co-worker and I were categorically not an item, 3 years later and we stopped that lie 2 and a half years back :p

Probably not have found a slightly belated work ethic, I was never lazy but lacked pro-activeness in my early 20's

Various buss words such as "Lets 'reach out' to them or discussing 'pain points'. Its apparently not effective until its expressed in a bunch of generic buzz words.

How important is money?
    My landlord thinks its very important :p

As someone who accomplished what they wanted in life without walking that path everyone feels they need to take.

I have had business ideas for some time, I want to take the jump and capitalize on those and hopefully learn from the wealth of experience here on the way and get involved with the community when time allows, which is something I rarely do.

At the end I want to build a successful business with hard work that allows me freedom in my life to be happy :)
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2014
    Mark-liu, Erik and Helen like this.
  15. InfiniteBargains

InfiniteBargains

Stuart

Salesman, IT Support, Customer Service, A little bit of everything!

When I wake up / When I go to sleep!

Tools and Hardware / Electronics

Switching from the "cheapest products I can source" to higher quality a little more expensive products.
    (No returns and no complaints in 6 months!)

Something Relaxing, probably Coldplay

Probably Chinese Takeaways

Got to be my dad who has been a successful sales manager most of his life.

There is no substitute for hard work! (get rich quick etc schemes do not work!)

Probably when the printer decided to play up when I was swamped with work last week

I'm sure I must have at some time or other, cannot remember the last time I did though.

I would have been a full time IT manager and probably be bored!

Nothing in particular comes to mind at the minute.

How important is money?

Important to have a happy and comfortable life but it must not become the

If I can bring some happiness into someones like once I'm gone then that's fine.

Many reasons, one of the main ones is that reading posts from other members who are making a success of there business and working so hard towards it motivates me to do better and work harder.
    vongvu, Mark-liu, Erik and 1 other person like this.
  16. Kristoffer

Kristoffer

-Kristoffer will be just fine

-Financial administrator-ish? I am responsible for salaries and some accounting.

08.00 - 16.00
    8AM - 4PM

-Wholesale, retail, affiliate, dropshipping

-choosing to sell in lesser quantities but at higher prices, better quality in other words. Also I'm researching on how to start producing my own products. mostly leather items. Some footwear too.

Drunken Tiger '살자 The Cure'

My once a week cheat day

Anyone who believed in him/herself, Eric Thomas, Steve Jobs

Do whatever it takes as long as you don't step on other's to get there. Get to where you want to be with a clean conscience

Today

Who hasn't

Tried being in business, everyone wants to make it somehow

Everyone that promisses genuine merchendise

How important is money?

Nothing, everything

As someone that no one believed in, people tried to keep you down saying you couldn't do it and succeeding, showing them and yourself. Inspiring others to do whatever they believe in.

As a rookie I want to network and find answers but in time I hope to be one of them that give advice and help them who will be rookies as I once was.
    vongvu, Mark-liu, Erik and 1 other person like this.
  17. The MadHouse Emporium

The MadHouse Emporium

Ryan & Sharon or MadHouse is cool, we're quirky and fun, so as long as it's not rude.
    Total chaos fending off demanding kids and making a living
    When the youngest wakes, around 05:00 and then we finish when our eye lids break the matches, normally around 22:00, but there are break during the day to meet those demands of family life.
    We are an Emporium, so we aim to be a wide ranging market place. First starting off with health and beauty, then electronics, jewellery and watches, clothing, gadgets etc.
    Joining TWF and breaking from the norm 9-5 rat race living someone else's dream!
    Radio 1 Charts
    Chocolate, wine and coffee
    Grandparents, Richard Branson
    To never give up or quit
    If you include kids during the day being in our "work" space, about 30 mins ago
    Only to get extra coffee!
    Grown old and died a miserable death living someone else's dream
    "If we push the envelope on that one" drives us nuts, what envelope and push it where exactly lol
    How important is money?
    Sadly in this day and age very important for most things, but in life, it means nothing without family and loved ones to share it with.
    For being completely nuts and never doing what we're told
    To interact, find info and source suppliers for new products we have not come across yet.

Thanks peeps
  18. Parcelhub

Parcelhub

Parcelhub
    Marketing Supervisor, responsible for all aspects of Marketing, mainly Digital
    9am-530pm
    Distribution, wholesale products of all types
    An app, can't reveal it yet for obvious reasons!
    Fleetwood Mac
    Driving fast (where the law permits)
    Jeremy Clarkson - he speaks his mind
    Never give up on a great idea, no matter how tough things get
    When I was pushed to hard to meet unrealistic Sales targets (previous job)
    Not that I can remember?
    Digital Marketing for another organisation, would love to learn to be a pilot!
    Come one, come all (David Brent)
    How important is money?
    Money on its own is just a tool. Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you short term relief.
    A loving boyfriend, brother, son and grandson
    To learn more about the increasingly more complicated world of importing and exporting goods and services
    lissajhone and Mark-liu like this.
  19. lunty1234

lunty1234

Chris would be great

Am the go to guy you want something you come to me , or you need to know something you come to me haha

i start At 8.30 am and finsh about 5 pm , but cant be reach though out the night by email's

Abit of everything really

Joining this company

silence as i dont have a radio (sad)

Liking 60-70 music

my mum she has rised me by her self and giving me the moral i have today

dont spend what you cant afford to lose

in my last job about 1 yr ago ( over an idoit co working not knowing his job)

Does a little white lie count , ( i eat someone chocolate and said i didnt haha)

been working behind a bar ( i love chatting to ppl about what they have done and what there doing )

Dont have one

How important is money?

75% important without money i couldnt give my family the life that deserve
    as a good person

to make new frinds and to hopefully meet peopel i can buy from and sell to all in all
    lissajhone and Mark-liu like this.
  20. Jenilee

Jenilee

Jenilee or Jen
    Mother, Wife, TWF Staff/Moderator, Customer Support
    I’m on split shift but I still work in between (motherly duties)
    If I would, I will be probably in the food business, it runs in the family
    I’d rather not share it. ;)

Barney songs – my daughter is watching in the living room
    Chocolates
    My mom
    The Golden Rule
    5 years ago, when I was still working for a customer service company
    As Erik said, this is awkward. :D
    I am not yet there...
    Longer than normal wait times and the automated voice machine keeps on saying "Your call is important to us." :mad:
    How important is money?
    It is important in a way that it makes life comfortable for my family
    A good wife and mother
    Aside from I work for the community, it is a good place for business advice and info. Lots of nice people too. :)
    lissajhone, Mark-liu and Helen like this.