1. Hello Guest, Thanks for visiting The Wholesale Forums! Register for FREE today. Sign up with Facebook, Twitter, or Google.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Thanks for visiting The Wholesale Forums! Register for FREE today and gain access to more information. Sign up with Facebook, Twitter, or Google.

Importing from China Suppliers – Managing your Risks

Discussion in 'China Sourcing' started by Global Sources, Mar 8, 2010.

1. WorldWideGuy

WorldWideGuy

Very informative thread!

I have been buying wholesale in the USA for a number of years. I have recently started buying from China, without going there.

My main advice is to know your industry. Visit your industry related trade shows. You will be surprised to find how many Chinese suppliers display their products there. At least here in the USA. The ASD/AMD trade show is about the largest here.

If you must deal with a Chinese Supplier AND you cannot visit China, find one that displays at trade shows. Either locally or worldwide. Ask them if they will be at any tradeshows. Than verify those trade shows to see if they are on the exhibitors list.

A supplier who also does trade shows is much more likely to be a reliable one.

If you must deal in questionable merchandise only buy through escrow portals such as alibaba or dhgate. But chances are you will not get true wholesale prices.

If you live in The USA it is very hard to beat either New York or Los Angeles for true wholesalers. These guys import from china by the container loads. Knockoffs are cheaper in these cities than 90% of the so called "chinese wholesale" websites. Most do not have websites though. So you will have to visit.
    saahaodotcom and Alan Zhang like this.
  2. davezeng2008

davezeng2008

Yes ,directly importing goods from China will more cheap than you buy from your partner in USA
    saahaodotcom and Huan Ting like this.
  3. jetson

jetson

Some good and useful information here. Thank you.
    saahaodotcom likes this.
  4. tatleen

tatleen

I just wanted to say a few words about the China business...

1) Watch out for them scummers. If somebody offering you Very good cost price and Free delivery right to your door - 100% SCUM !!!

Pretty face is chatting with you - 50% SCUM !!!

2) If you do come across with a good supplier check the delivery charges and conditions right away, I spent a few weeks to sort out the deal and than supplier told me a different story about the postage.. My project fail due to delivery cost..

3) I have to say that at the end I did find a very very good company and the communications were on 100% Positive mark. Very polite people and it was a pleasure to deal with, shame the delivery killed everything.

If you are on Alibaba.com and just about to do a deal with anyone there, NEVER FORGET to send an email to Alibaba customer service asking whether they've got any bad records about the supplier. They helped me out a lot. Things like company references, registration number etc can be asked as well.. Check everything 5 times before sending a deposit to them..

Good fact is that the scummers are always offering you rediculously cheap price and they would normally want 30-40% deposit, which is too much..

Try not to got higher than 20% even though you are pretty sure that you supplier is legit.

I hope it helps a bit..
    Cheers ;)
    saahaodotcom likes this.
  5. Bkutz03

Bkutz03

Lol @ the word scummers

saahaodotcom likes this.
  6. davezeng2008

davezeng2008

If you want to import from China, Veriquality will be your eyes and hands to avoid the risk in China business .
    saahaodotcom likes this.
  7. davezeng2008

davezeng2008

Actually the reliable supplier is not the result of looking for . The reliable supplier is result of well organized and well management by yourself. Only looking for good and reliable supplier , your business will never be successful in China. The well organized procedure and supply chain management will help you.
    saahaodotcom likes this.
  8. b0b2600

b0b2600

Just have a look at this dreadful site, I got an email from these guys telling me about their dropship site, so I had a look, it's a china based site, the english is quite poor and the site has a few problems, it takes 78 days for you delivery....lol

donedandca with the usual dot com afterwards.

I would avoid this like the plague....:thumbdown:
    saahaodotcom likes this.
  9. cfs

cfs

saahaodotcom likes this.
  10. stone21

stone21

good article.:)
    saahaodotcom likes this.
  11. pgerryg

pgerryg

Hi All

Has anyone heard of or dealt with a company called cheapchinawholesale their website is cheapchinawholesale.net, their prices are not suspiciusly cheap and they are adament everything is authentic, i am trying to get some info good or bad top help me decide whether to buy from them or not, i would be gratefull for any hepl

Best Regards
    Gerry
    saahaodotcom likes this.
  12. hugotiger

hugotiger

This information is very important for businessman, I am glad to read it and also learn from it, Thanks very much!:welldone:
    saahaodotcom likes this.
  13. OzB

OzB

Thanks for the post.
    Our main concern is building a trust with a supplier. The lack of communication & truth about there products can sometimes make you question a supplier sometimes.But if they are willing to work with your terms really helps.
    saahaodotcom likes this.
  14. DDJ

DDJ

Hello All,

I am new to importing goods from China.

I would actually like a factory to manufacture my own costume jewellery designs and ship them back to me.

To start with, I will be importing my product in cartons, not containers as the product is so small and I will not be at a container volume for a long time (if at all).

I have been looking for factories on various site such as Global Source etc, however, I don't believe you can beat a personal recommendation from someone who is already dealing with a trusted supplier. Can anyone recommend a good costume jewellery manufacturer that they have experience in dealing with?

Also, can anyone shed light on approximate costs of importing say 20 cartons of product at a time as oppposed to a container?

Your advice would be most welcome.

Kind Regards,

Nicky
    saahaodotcom likes this.
  15. michaelg

michaelg

>Also, can anyone shed light on approximate costs of importing say 20 cartons of product at a time as oppposed to a container?

For less than container load (LCL) shipments, you will pay a ddc cost per cubic meter of around 30.00. To ship a 20' container might cost around around 2000.00 - 2500.00 but there will be no ddc costs and you can pack as much into the container as possible to have more product to amortize the freight cost to. The port handling fees will vary too between LCL and container load shipments. You'd need to contact a customs agent to get a grip on what this would mean.
    saahaodotcom likes this.
  16. jimxjk

jimxjk

I can free to verify the Chinese suppliers, but we need some exchange job if possibe, pls contact [email protected]
    saahaodotcom likes this.
  17. gracechen

gracechen Banned Member

depend on what product you import from china!
    saahaodotcom likes this.
  18. jimxjk

jimxjk

I can free to verify the Chinese suppliers, but we need some exchange job if possibe, pls contact [email protected]

saahaodotcom likes this.
  19. christine malik

christine malik

hello

hi i am looking to start some bussiness from china buying some mini netbooks i have a budget of around £300 but i dont know nothing who to buy from and whr any one knows the relaible suppliers i wll start from little then let see?
    any advise or contact details of the companies r more appreciated
    thanks
    saahaodotcom likes this.
  20. DOLCE VITA

DOLCE VITA

hi there,

Could anyone enlighten me on the pros and cons of FOB? what do I need to look out for? Many thanks.
    saahaodotcom likes this.