1. Speak to our customer support team live today
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Thanks for visiting The Wholesale Forums! Register for FREE today and gain access to more information. Sign up with Facebook, Twitter, or Google.

Is Dropshipping a Viable Business Model?

Discussion in 'Dropshipping' started by JustCraig, Dec 2, 2010.

1. Car Expert

Car Expert

Very knowledgable information.

"Mod Edit: Signature removed"
  2. Christoffer

Christoffer

Thanks for sharing, very nice and impressive post.:)
  3. stig786

stig786

thanks for sharing :)
  4. jacey1009

jacey1009

Informative post, I think dropshipping has to be an option if there's a huge range of products in your field, especially when starting out
  5. mark willoughby

mark willoughby

I am liking the idea of dropshipping. When i was starting out on eBay i used to go to a Local Shop that had a massive sale on. I grabbed one of there leaflets and then posted a couple of the higher priced items on eBay and waited. Sure enough they did sell and i went and purchased the item wrapped it and sent it. I do remember thinking to myself that this could be done on a bigger scale at the time. I have since been onto the same shops website and on all items over £50 it is free delivery. Could be a winner.
    My only hang up is that i pride myself on Quality and presentation of my parcels. I would hate it if i was let down on this by some sloppy dropship company. It only takes one bad package to ruin my hard earned 100% on eBay and i am not sure if i would want to risk that. I might set up another account purley for a dropship test and see how it goes.
    Burt and jtrag like this.
  6. Pete

Pete

Mark, you may be over empathizing the value of packaging. I'm not saying it's not nice, but as the husband of a decades long mail order shopper, a 10 year winner of the VISA Shopper of the Year award, I can tell you it doesn't matter, jiffy bag, poly bag, cardboard carton, whatever gets torn open to get at the goods. The packaging / wrapping / whatever doesn't get a second glance.

It may be the most meaningful part of your image, something you are obviously proud of, but it may be totally meaningless to your buyers.

I'm not saying that is so, just trying to be the devil's advocate and get you thinking about the importance of the packaging from the buyers viewpoint. I know in my house it's trash within seconds of coming through the door.
    jtrag likes this.
  7. mark willoughby

mark willoughby

Thanks Pete, i think you may be right. I think my OCD might be getting in the way here lol. I am going to look into the whole dropship idea as a way to boost my sales and see how i get on. A bit of research needed ithink.
  8. mark willoughby

mark willoughby

I have been having a look at "The Hut Group" products and am a little confused. One particular Lego product that is just out this year is more expensive on thier sit that any of the same product on eBay. I can not see how this will work when the prices are already high, then you have to make a profit on soemthing that is not going to sell at the price you have it advertised for let alone paying the fee to place the add in the first place. Not realy that impressed so far but will keep looking around.
  9. mark willoughby

mark willoughby

Looking further down the products list i find things on there that are cheaper in WHSmiths and thats saying something. I often look in High Street stores as a bench mark for prices and some are often higher or lower but on this site they are all definately to high.
  10. JustCraig

JustCraig

The Hut Group operate retail sites, not wholesale sites so why would they sell their products at wholesale price?
  11. mark willoughby

mark willoughby

I am confused, I thought this site was all about wholesale so why put the Hut group on there if it is only a retail site and then ask why i would think they are wholesale?
  12. JustCraig

JustCraig

The Hut Group offer white label ecomm services to major retailers - It was used as an example for a larger company who offers a fulfilment service to national retailers.

If you are looking for Lego products, it might be worth contacting these guys:

http://www.chestertoys.co.uk/

Not sure how they are on prices but might be worth downloading their catalogue.
  13. mark willoughby

mark willoughby

Cool thank you JustCraig I will have a look. :)
  14. JustCraig

JustCraig

mark willoughby likes this.
  15. TyTran

TyTran

Drop Shipping is safe way to test if a product will sell in your chosen platform
  16. unbeldi

unbeldi

very useful!!
  17. toysandgifts

toysandgifts Banned Member

mark willoughby likes this.
  18. goldenpax

goldenpax

thank ffor useful information and it's very good for me and helpful
  19. MattM1987

MattM1987

Thank you Craig!

It was very helpful to read those lines.

Many thanks,
    Matthias

<mod edit: changed to standard font>
  20. jtrag

jtrag

Very helpful information :) Thank you!