1. Hi Guest! Head on over to our blog for the latest guest articles.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Hello Guest, to participate in discussions just click the "JOIN NOW" button and sign up for FREE!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, Looking to sell your stock or services on our forum? Become a verified TWF supplierfor just £100 +VAT a year! Find out more today.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Thanks for visiting The Wholesale Forums! Register for FREE today and gain access to more information. Sign up with Facebook, Twitter, or Google.

Is dropshipping to South Africa worth it?

Discussion in 'Dropshipping' started by ZuluBoyZA, Aug 13, 2012.

1. ZuluBoyZA

ZuluBoyZA

Hi guys/ gals
    I'm starting up a little online business, I actually have been doing buying and selling for sometime, and I mainly buy stuff from the US and resell it in South Africa. Things havent been too bad, but it has been slow. With the recent rise in online shopping I am looking at expanding my business to include Dropshipping. However Since I am so far South, postage tends to work out very high, and tends to take ages.. especially for smaller, and cheaoer items.
    Have any of the drop shippers here dealt with a South African Market on a large scale? Are you willing to try this with me?
    Also I could possibly work with a drop shipper to have a mini-warehouse here and do their shipping to Southern African Countries, seems like I may be taking a too bold step, but I do have some knowledge of the local scene..

Cheers!
  2. Pete

Pete

Postage worldwide is pretty much the same, no matter the destination. From China / Hong Kong I pay the same price to anywhere in the world. From the US it's just about the same . To Canada is a bit less, and possibly to Mexico, but UK, OZ or SA are all the same.

With one major difference. I will not ship to SA due to the insecurity of the postal system. Too many things simply never make it to the destination address. Only a few years ago I had a guy tell me that companies there paid local couriers to hand deliver business checks between businesses, as they would be stolen otherwise. It has been a couple of years, but I can't imagine things improving considerably since then.

Of course, you know the situation better than I. I will tell you the same thing I have told there: I'll dropship for you if it is fully understood that once I turn the parcel over to my shipping agent the risk becomes entirely yours. I can provide proof of shipping, but after that it's your baby.
  3. ZuluBoyZA

ZuluBoyZA

I understand what you're saying, and agree with you that our postal service SUCKS.... Hecne I want to try using EMS or DHL/FEDex.. however I notice costs are quite high for either of them..
    I've Registered on your site, and checked for a few items. However I want to know if it would maybe be possible to get a Bulk Lot of your 10 most popular items and Re-sell them, so I will be a reseller rather than a dropshipper... if thats even possible.!
  4. Pete

Pete

I can definitely send you 10pc by DHL, not a problem there. And there is no distinction from a dropship seller or a wholesale buyer, just one is ship to a different address. Right now the best selling phones are the Si68 for the non-android type, the W008+ Android phone and the M009S tablets, but they are old technology and being discontinued. The LY-F1-8 is the hottest tablet with current technology and OS.

The bulk prices shown on the website do not apply to SA, shipping there by DHL is about twice the cost of to the UK or US. Just a small parcel, like 10 of the Si68 phones is $30 more to SA.

I'll be glad to work with you. If you go to my help desk and start a ticket with an idea of what your want, or a target price you might want to mix up an assortment to reach, I'll give it immediate attention.

Here's the link: **************************************
  5. ZuluBoyZA

ZuluBoyZA

Thanks for the response.... Again!
    I am browsing about, just building an order... I will log a ticket once I have decided...
    Thanks
  6. enigma666666

enigma666666

ZuluboyZA, I am in South Africa and started an online store 6 months ago. I do not carry stock, I only use dropshipping and although shipping cost to South Africa is high, if you buy directly from manufacturers who dropship, you can mark up your products enough to cover the shipping costs. I charge a flat rate for shipping regardless of the amount of items ordered and I still make a very good profit. I use dropshippers in USA and China and have to say that shipping costs is much less from China than USA, so I would suggest using dropshippers from Asia. For instance USA dropshipper knocks me $20-40 dollars shipping using USPS for an item that weighs only a few grams, whereas Chinese dropshipper charges me $8 for shipping via registered post. Sure Hong Kong Post or China mail takes longer to arrive, but I tell my customers that the items come from abroad and give them accurate estimates of arrival for postal delivery, so no problem. I also find that courier costs is much higher from USA than from China. Personally I think its a case of the website owners not configuring shipping costs properly, most USA dropshippers shipping costs seem to be inflated when shipping to South Africa.

Regarding SA postal services, I have yet to have a package disappear. All my customers get their items delivered with no issues. Packages can go missing in any country of the world if the package is not sent via registered post or where there is no tracking number and South Africa's postal service is not worse than any other postal service in any other country. The media and people in general tend to exaggerate things and this in turn has a negative impact on the economy of the country, consumers and people like me who want to sell, but end up struggling to get suppliers who are willing to ship to SA or who does not rip you off with shipping charges.

Thankfully for me the Asian dropshippers do not have an issue with doing business with South Africans and thanks to them my business is doing very well and I am opening more stores in the coming months. Would be nice though if more European and USA dropshippers realized the huge potential in the market here and gave South Africans the opportunity to sell their products...
    Tebogo likes this.
  7. Pete

Pete

US International Priority Mail starts at $16.95, including tracking/delivery confirmation

While there may be cheaper options on some items by standard parcel post, Priority Mail is usually a week or so.

Here's all you need to know about US postal services to SA.

Frankly, it's not so much refusing to ship to SA, it is a lack of buyers. I MAY have 2 a year from SA inquire or place orders. And about the same orders from other sellers from the rest of the world to ship there.

I have only had citizens of 2 countries tell me of fear of theft within the postal system, Italy and SA. I don't make such stuff up, I'm in the business of selling worldwide and want as many sales as possible. I did actually have a South African on the QuickBooks forum tell me they would not post checks, but had them all delivered by hand. Never in my wildest dreams would I expect to be told that about any English speaking country of the old British Empire.

I have mentioned this to others from SA and they have said that it was the case.

But the main reason for not dropshipping, or wholesaling, there is lack of orders or interest. Seems like you are the only one do so.
  8. enigma666666

enigma666666

Hi there apologies if my post offended you, it was not my intention. I do not think it is prudent to send cheques via mail anywhere in the world and as far as I know its never really been common practice in SA to send cheques or cash via ordinary post. Certainly SA Postal workers are not saints and temptation do indeed get the better of them sometimes, but overall imo, postal theft is not that rampant.
    Having said that, I would not tempt fate by sending valuables with ordinary post! lol

I have to admit that the fact that you have not been approached by many SA people to dropship is an eye opener for me as it explains why I'm having such a hard time finding suppliers willing to dropship to SA. Another stumbling block Im encountering with USA dropshippers, is that most of them insist on a USA reseller license despite the fact that I'm not in or from USA. But such is life, for now I'm lucky enough to have very reliable Asian dropshippers with good quality products, low shipping costs and excellent customer service, so I can't really complain. Oh an I have to mention that not many UK suppliers are willing to dropship to SA either. I've hit a brick wall everytime.

Btw, thank you for the link!
  9. Molebz

Molebz

Hi, Enigma. I'm a South African woman residing in Pretoria. You seem to be very knowledgeable with respect to ecommerce and dropshipping. How do I get in contact with you? I would love to learn from you, kind of like an "apprentice" if you would be kind enough to share your knowledge with me, I would really appreciate it. :)
  10. Pete

Pete

I don't know how I missed this, but in the USA and I would say the UK and most of Europe sending checks (not cash) is as common eating. Never a thought or consideration to it. I've personally posted, or as we say in the US mailed, thousands of them. Before the internet that is how suppliers, utility companies, cred card bills and everyone else got paid. As ordinary as brushing teeth. Simply something you did each month.

Not to belabor the point, but that is why I point out the insecurities of postal and I'm told even courier deliver in SA. To be reluctant to post a cheque for most forum members here is as foreign a thought as a trip to Antarctica.
  11. Tebogo

Tebogo

Hi Enigma,

I am new here. South African. Have started importing some goods from China. Some were good sellers some were not. I found that this is a costly exercise as i was Travelling to China to source these from factories directly and having to also stock up on inventory to resell here in SA.

I am looking into doing dropshipping for starters and build my way up while testing different products to resell at lower cost and risk.
    I am starting an online store selling electronic products like tablets and power banks and accessories.

Can you please assist if you can by providing some pointers with regards to going the dropshipping route.

Thanks in advance
  12. GvK

GvK

Hi Enigma,
    I have some questions with regards to dropshipping. Do you have an e-mail address I can contact you on?