1. Hello Guest, Thanks for visiting The Wholesale Forums! Register for FREE today. Sign up with Facebook, Twitter, or Google.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Thanks for visiting The Wholesale Forums! Register for FREE today and gain access to more information. Sign up with Facebook, Twitter, or Google.

PayPal Advice

Discussion in 'Payment & Shipping' started by more4less, Apr 11, 2006.

1. stubbsy11

stubbsy11

Hey guys.

I recently listed an ipad on a free ads website.

I received an email from someone who was interested later that day...

-------

Date: Fri, 26 Aug 2011 21:59:46 +0100
    Subject: Re: Ipad 2
    To: [email protected]

i think im fine with your price. So if you will send me your PayPal email or perhaps you send a PayPal payment request invoice to my email ([email protected]) so i can send payment. I prefer postage by royal mail next day delivery to Forest hill, London and 8pounds postage fee will be included.
    Ryan.

--------

Now, I'm relatively familiar with paypal but I've never heard of anyone being scammed through it until I stumbled upon this thread.

Does this all seem legit to you? I'm from Wales and she wants me to ship to England without having viewed the product or asked me anything else.

Does this seem fishy at all?

Thanks,

Brad
  2. planner

planner

3. AndrewJames

AndrewJames

may i ask why they would freeze your account?
  4. bhsizemo11

bhsizemo11

"AMEX and Discover are not recommended because in the case of chargebacks they do not hold PayPal responsible for chargeback and disputes."
    The above statement is completely inaccurate. 99% of the time I use my AMEX Plum card for my 2% discount through PayPal and never have I lost a chargeback - much less because AMEX will not "hold PayPal responsible for chargeback and disputes." Imagine what this would do to their card use if this was their policy and the media circus around it. Imagine the headline - "AMEX card holders not protected with PayPal." I've had to do chargebacks on new suppliers that don't work out well over $50K in the past few years with AMEX transactions via PayPal. I have never lost a penny and won every chargeback when PayPal couldn't credit my card back in full. And PayPal has never debited my account for that amount (discussed below).

"Also keep in mind that you have every right to dispute the charge with your CC company, but if you win, PayPal may very well debit your account for that amount."

Again, I've never seen this happen either (assuming no other issues with the account). This is also a violation of any merchant agreement whether you're PayPal (via Wells Fargo), a merchant acquirer, acquiring bank, retailer, or anyone else related to the transaction. There is wording specifically excluding this action. A quick letter from a lawyer to their legal department will get this mistake resolved.
  5. nia

nia

Hi there can somebody please help me ... I have a supplier who ready to do business by paypal I have there paypal ID can I check with paypal how long that person been with them ??? What if they made the account and close it after I send payments ???? Can that happen
  6. bhsizemo11

bhsizemo11

PayPal shut down the ability to lookup a member's join date/# of payments received a few years ago. Always fund your transactions with a true credit card; if the person withdrawals the money and then shuts the account down (and you want your money back because they don't perform) PayPal will try to recover funds for you. If they're unsuccessful, they say you "won" your case but unfortunately they could only recover xxx.xx. That's why you use a true credit card; if PayPal can't recover all of your funds due back, notifiy your credit card company so you're made whole.
  7. nia

nia

Bhs so you saying if I paid with paypal and the account of supplier shut down I can still claim back the money ??? What if I paid with visa ??? That's linked to my paypal account please ??? And of the other person close down the account no way paypal can track them throw the address they set up with paypal ???
  8. bhsizemo11

bhsizemo11

You shouldn't rely on PayPal to recover funds. Make sure the card you're using is NOT linked to any checking/savings account - otherwise known as a debit/ATM/check card. AMEX/Discover/MC/Visa credit cards all provide protections. Make sure the entire charge is made against your Visa, and not a penny less. This is more of a question of your credit card rights and how your issuing bank handles disputes. I speak as a cardholder in the USA only.

If a merchant charges your card and doesn't deliver, I've never heard of complaints that their credit card issuer didn't side with them and issue a refund (PayPal is then on the hook) for the dispute. One of the Association's (Visa/MC/Discover) recommendations (requirement in PayPal SPP) to reduce chargebacks is to obtain signature proof of delivery at the confirmed address for transactions $250+. If your supplier taking PayPal fails to provide this to PayPal, they default and you win - just dispute in a very timely manner. I've even seen cases where the buyer has won disputes when only tracking was provided but no signature obtained ($250+).

There are a lot of inaccurate posts online (most a few years old) stating your rights as a card holder are different when you use PayPal. In reality, a dispute whether you paid with your Visa card using PayPal, Amazon Payments, Google Checkout, Money Bookers, eBay accepted processors, or a direct merchant account are all treated the same. Nowhere in your card agreement is PayPal or any other processor mentioned (with inferior rights) and they can't be - class action would ensue.
  9. Kathy Lee

Kathy Lee

Hello everybody.
    Paypal is high handle fee for both side.I don't like it .
  10. bhsizemo11

bhsizemo11

High compared to what other merchant processor? Google Checkout's rates are the same. And PayPal allows MassPay to transfer money for only $1 from a business account with a balance (compare that to bank wire fees, international included). There's only one fee, so not sure what you mean "for both side." In the USA, it's very hard to process AMEX below 3.5% for small businesses whereas PayPal/GCO you can pay the tiered rate (2.2% when processing $10K+ per month).

While an interchange plus account (without AMEX) may save you a little money, you do all the fraud screening yourself - trust me, fraud still comes through with AVS checks and verifying with the card issuing bank all info they will confirm (name, phone #, address). While PayPal can be a pain, I haven't lost a chargeback due to fraud on my business account following their SPP exactly (only accept USA payments with USA confirmed address or payment is blocked). PayPal has even refunded me shipping fees when they caught fraud after the fact and I had an RTS placed on the package.
  11. bargainstop

bargainstop

selling outside uk via paypal ..there so many scams going around,ways of trying to obtain your details.
  12. 1711

Good sharing!
  13. StrazzaDiari

StrazzaDiari

Very good post, thx
  14. Tanya Daniels

Tanya Daniels

Don't get burned with PayPal. The merchant services companies aren't much better, but they won't freeze your accounts and prevent you from getting your cash.
  15. Konrad Klent

Konrad Klent

its hilariously funny that under the whole PP thing there is an advertisement for the paysafecard - i think thats a sign! lol
    I actually prefer using prepaid cards for all online payments - much quicker and safer not to mention hassle free - ie no registration/verification of anything needed! brilliant!
  16. Steppo

Steppo

Archbishop of Westminster?
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2013
  17. Steppo

Steppo

I'm shortly to launch an online business, where customers will basically be other web-based companies.
    We'll only be offering Paypal as a form of payment initially. Are companies, as opposed to individuals- quite happy to do business through Paypal?
    And if so, would it just be a question of invoicing them through their email address?
    Any input welcome- thanks.
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2013
  18. whyfan

whyfan

yes. paypal is very great payment.
  19. Devilwear

Devilwear

Although this is an old post, that has been raked up by the post above me, I would just like to answer this question.

Yes, I have worked for many companies and they all use paypal to pay, as well as other options. So if you have it as the only option, then there maybe a few problems, but if its in addition to other payments then that is fine.
  20. Big_Marc

Big_Marc

Good Post ..I had a falling out with paypal over something i sold a long time ago ,someone tried to scam me it backfired and i got his cash and he got no goods ..So Paypal closed my account and then the guys account ,so if ive needed anything id use a friends paypal or family's..Few year back i tried to open another account clicked "Business account " threw my mistake it all kicked of again so we parted company on love/hate terms ..Now i need paypal as thats what most people use what im wondering is will they ever let me have an account again ?

I have things like neteller but not sure anyone takes this as a payment method ..Anyone got any suggestions ?