1. We would like to know you better hence we made the introductions more interesting. Would love to see you answer the questions here!
  2. Hi Guest, tell us what change you'd like to see in the forums Click Here

Reasons for using online live help?

Discussion in 'E-Commerce' started by shopafrolix, Nov 6, 2011.

1. shopafrolix

shopafrolix Banned Member

Online Live Help . . . . why ?

you know the websites, with a little button to press for 'Live Help' online.

Great, most think, but what is it really telling us?

We don't want to give you our real contact details ?
    We want you to think we are in the UK, as we type in English?
    Don't bother phoning, we never answer?
    If you phone you'll be waiting forever ?
    Don't it look good on our website ?

With ebay it works, but online retailers ? Come on - man and answer your phones. telephone is still the Worlds best communication device ever invented !

I've seen this 'Live Help' even on new and small websites - surely they're not too busy to answer a telephone ?
  2. Jed

Jed

Re: Online Live Help . . . . why ?

Never hurts to give potential customers another way of contacting you.
  3. DarrenSpeed

DarrenSpeed

I agree with Jed.

Some people are uncomfortable speaking over the phone, they prefer to communicate with text, whether it is live chat or email.

But every business should have a lot of different ways to be contacted, such as phone, live chat, email, forum, comments, twitter, facebook etc...
  4. MSFB

MSFB

it doesnt make me think any of that, i just wonder if its a real person or an automated thing.

ive tried a couple, one time just ended up in an argument with the guy LOL.
  5. shopafrolix

ha, ha, ha. . . yes I've had an argument with eBay Live Help, and they hung up on me !
  6. Andy777

Andy777

lol, as a customer I would never think of any of that! :D

I would think - great, here's an easy, fast way to contact this company without picking up the phone and waiting for someone to answer it!

Many large online companies switch from phone to live chat as primary contact option - that should tell us something. Besides, it fixes international customer problems, is easier to monitor and increases trustworthy.

I have Live Chat option on all of my online shops and on average, we get 1 phone call for 3 or 4 chat requests. Again, that simply shows that customers actually prefer using CHAT and not phone option! :welldone:

Thanks,
    Andy
  7. Anthony

Anthony

I think any form of live communications with a site I'm potentially interested in doing business with is a positive. Whether that be a phone number or live chat really I have no major preference. When I want some information fast I place a call. If I have something else going on or often if its a two second question I've got and there is chat available, I might just flick it open real quick and get it done.

What does annoy me are the live chat plug-ins that hit you right away when you get on the site. You know the types; "Hey I noticed you're interested in this product, if there is anything I can help with let me know" - it's just an experience ruiner for me. If I wanted people hassling me I would have gone and done my shopping on Oxford Street. If I want to contact you with questions, I know where to find you, and if I can't, it's highly likely we won't be doing business anyway. Leave me be.
  8. shopafrolix

good, now where do I get one of these for my website ? Can I build it into my ebay listings so I don't have to reply 22 times to silly email questions ?
  9. Gary

Gary

Exacly how I feel about those ones, I hate pop ups, of any variety it puts me off a website rather quickly!

Another thing that bugs me is these websites (generally newer, smaller businesses), that have the live chat function but the thing is never on-line, I think that if you have one of these on your website you should display 'opening times' (ie. when it will actually be live).

Regarding it replacing the phone, etc. I too have never thought any of what is in the OP, it's just another option, and to be honest one I will often use over the telephone, basically because it's there and I'm on the computer anyway and it would cost me extra to make a phone call and then especially with bigger companies you then get all the automated crap, mind you, many larger companies also have automated crap on live chat too...lol
  10. cajun0518

cajun0518

i believe that live help is a great idea...it actually saves long distance phone bills (if company is outside US) , no busy tone to content with ...
    just my 2 cents
  11. Anthony

Anthony

If you are going to have a live chat on your site and not even man it during business hours its pointless and just a source of frustration for the customer. This is pretty much as bad as displaying a phone number but never picking it up. Arrgh!

You must be a member to reply…

Why should you join us?

• Networking Opportunities
  • Find Genuine Wholesalers
  • Source Profitable Stock
  • 100,000 Members Strong