1. To further expand the reach of our Marketplace and increase potential buyers, we have created two social accounts solely for the promotion of our Marketplace. Check it out here! Don't forget to follow our pages!
  2. We would like to know you better hence we made the the introductions more interesting. Would love to see you answer the questions here!
  3. The winners for the TWF Annual Survey Draw have been revealed! Are you one of them? Check the list of winners here.

Sick of eBay Feedback system!

Discussion in 'eBay, Amazon & Online Marketplaces' started by ifti, Mar 15, 2011.

Image has been removed.
This URL has been automatically filtered because it has been posted by a new member. Active URLs posted by new members are always filtered. Once members have 10 or more posts and have been registered for 10 or more days, this filtering will be removed. To post URLs within the restriction period, just remove the http:// section which makes the URL non-clickable (i.e. website.com).
This email address has been automatically filtered because it has been posted by a new member. Active email addresses posted by new members are always filtered. Once members have 10 or more posts and have been registered for 10 or more days, this filtering will be removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. ifti

ifti

Getting really sick of eBay!

Sold an item - new and SEALED with the seal tape still on product.

Buyer receives item and states it wasnt new - opens a case etc.
    In the end, buyer closes case, and drops the matter.

I replied to every email/comment - even offerred to refund if he wasnt happy as long as it was still as he received it.

Next thing I know, I now have a negative to spoil my otherwise 100% rating, saying that the new item was in fact not new, and that I am a lier!

I can even report this since being called a 'liar' in eBay's eye's is just fine!

eBay feedback system is so silly now. Buyers can be as bad as they want, and sellers have no way of reporting it!! Also, honest sellers can no longer see an accurate profile on buyers, since they are only able to see positive comments, not any bad comments!!

Sell an item on eBay - get stung with eBay fee's, get double stung with payPal fee's, then get stung with bad comments when you try to do everything to can to resolve!! Where's the justice?!
  2. Swine

Swine

yup... it sucks. It gives buyers way too much power to cause yur feedback/DSR too much damage and gives seller 2 options. Absolute rubbish. Also, if you look at it all from a purely objective angle, somethings make no sense.... there is no need for 5 stars for most of the DSR stats (Communication... makes no sense). Should be streamlined down to 'Excellent, Acceptable, Poor'
  3. ifti

ifti

Yup, its true what they say - its a buyers market now. Unless you are a major big seller, like some of the outlets, smaller sellers can be completely screwed over by only a handful of 'bad buyers'!
  4. crispydog

crispydog

5. magictouch786

magictouch786

give ebay a ring and they should remove it. I had a customer email me saying the ipod earphones were not as described - so i refunded her and said she could keep the items as well. Yet she still left neutral - but left good comments. There is no pleasing some!
  6. TheDevil

TheDevil

Don't like it then leave. Pretty sure I know what you will do though?...
  7. Pete

Pete

And just who was it that held that gun to your head and made you list on eBay?

What, there was a full crew going round the country forcing others to sell on eBay?

Where's James Bond when you need him?
  8. TheDevil

TheDevil

Too slow Pete I beat you this time but your post had a bit more sarcasm in it :D
  9. emmie

emmie

Sorry - I really, really do not get that kind of attitude, and when it comes from a community advertiser who's selling something I might want, it's just offputting.

Ebay won't remove libellous terms like 'liar, cheat, fraudster' etc, and instead of commenting on how outrageous that situation is, you react by basically saying "well nobody's forcing you to sell on eBay"? *shrugs* Horses for courses I guess!
  10. TheDevil

TheDevil

I agree with Pete, all we hear is sob storys about eBay but we never hear success storys or people thanking them for bringing them business?
  11. emmie

emmie

Well of course you agree with Pete, that goes without saying.

The fact that there are so many 'sob stories' as you call them is clear indication of the need for eBay's seller policy to be adjusted.

As for your thoughts about not enough people making comments thanking eBay for providing them with a platform upon which to sell - I wonder how often people write to Mr Tesco et al, with thanks for letting us assist them with their quest to grow their already enormous profits?
  12. TheDevil

TheDevil

I can agree with whoever I want to agree with and just because Petes a member of the community for some time doesn't mean I am going to suck up to him?

There are sob stories on eBay, there are sob stories on amazon, there are sob stories everywhere. This is business and business isnt supposed to be as easy as cutting a cake, there are problems every day, if you let ONE negative feedback hold you down then you aren't cut out to be in business, simples.

And what you said about Tesco, so you are telling me you own Tesco, you aren't going to expand you are going to sit there. Think about that one.

Alan
  13. mastersg

mastersg

no offence Emmie, but Pete is stating the facts , unfortunately with ebay , these sort of scenarios are expected , Heck I had customer who got his item but chose not to sign for the recorded delivery , hence Paypal went with him and refunded the full money, all Paypal did was check the Recorded Delivery number on the tracking website and it confirmed as no info found. the solution here is this, 10 out 100 customers will try to pull a fast one especially in markets of Video Games , Dvd's . When was the last time you heard a seller voicing his concern over a buyer who is falsely claiming he did not receive the Television ?

This is all part of the ebay culture and has been going on for so many years.Nothing one can do ........except follow Pete's advice ........he is right 100% , cost of listing items say 100 items per month on a basic shop could cost you £14.99 for the ebay shop + 100 Listings X £ 0.20p = £ 20 , Totalling £34.99 a month , plus the Final Value Fee of each item sold added , Paypal Fees to be paid as well .......

Now with your own site, you are paying minimum £60 a year for getting a website hosted by popular guys like Pete Himself , Saajan, Zeerock , Supreme Hoster . No ebay Fees, No payal fees .you keep the profits.........

So adding up the costs ........you are better off not selling on ebay if these small negative feedbacks hurt one's feelings so much
  14. dbennett06

dbennett06

Not sure about the other guys but hosting with Pete is no where near that much a month, we're talking £4 a month tops.

In regards to this topic, I would have to agree with Pete and Devil Shopping, eBay does hold all the cards and so they should. If you were to own that company I'm sure you will soon realise that to keep your top spot you would need buyers through your doors, that is why it is soo geared towards them. For instance take a look at ebitsi, loads of people put listings on hoping for the best, but there was not a single buyer....

I understand the OP's frustration but thats business and we have to deal with that... No matter how annoying it may be!
  15. mastersg

mastersg

Cheers D , I meant for the year ...............on average :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
  16. dbennett06

dbennett06

Ha Ha had wondered what you were smoking with that comment.... :lol:
  17. mastersg

mastersg

I am knackered and am off to bed ........gotta wake up at 5:30 am ...Morning shift........Hi Ho ...Hi .....Ho.....Its off to Work we Go...............:lol::lol::lol::lol:
  18. Pete

Pete

emmie, most of my sales come from eBay. Not directly, with my nature I could not abide with their ******** 5 minutes.

But I have customers for whom I dropship who sell their daily. And when I get a new customer who tells me they are going to be selling on eBay I warn them of the pitfalls, particularly the way they and PayPal hold your funds until you prove yourself.

I'm all for it, I will some days ship 50 or more orders to the UK alone that are a result of eBay sales. I'm all for it and I do my best to keep them in eBay's good graces. (Just wish I could blow Apple out of the water.)

As others have mentioned, it's not eBay I'm against, it's the whining after seeing it happen time and again. You've been here since November and have a goodly number of posts, it's not as if you could not have known.

It's a very simple thing, actually. My house, my rules. That's how they operate. So do the local markets and car boots. My way or the highway. Often the smaller the sandpatch, the rougher the enforcement. Their rules are easily read and this and many other forums are rife with threads about the con artists and scammers lying about receiving or not receiving goods, about the way money is held, about how feedback can bite you in the butt bigtime.

It is not that you were not aware, or did not have the information at hand. But you chose to sell there anyway, even though there are hundreds, if not thousands of negative posts about it.

I'm all for you. Go for it. But don't whine when things don't go your way. It's business and as I have said countless times here on TWF and elsewhere - you are never guaranteed a profit when your feet hit the floor each morning. You pay your entrance fee and you take your chances.

No one held a gun to your head. Simple fact.

My shoulder is old and hard and bony, you don't want to cry on it.
  19. emmie

emmie

Couldn't have known what, Pete? If you mean I must have known that eBay will not remove libellous feedback then you're wrong, I didn't know.

You'll have to forgive my lack of experience in comparison to yours. I joined TWF as someone who was absolutely new to eBay selling and hugely excited about the possibilities it might hold. Those possibilities still exist; the only difference between now and last November is I'm a wee bit wiser and better informed about the pitfalls after gleaning so much insight via this forum from people who've related their negative experiences

I think you and the other poster should bear in mind the fact that some of us are still new to this game and don't have the benefit of your years of experience. If/when I have a bad buyer I might well post on here about it and you can bet your bottom dollar I'll be properly angry if/when that crap happens to me - but you can also bet your bottom dollar that it won't equate to acting like a whiny kid or wanting someone's shoulder to cry on because that's not me. Aye but you can interpret it any way you want, and you will.

Sami - my first neg won't hurt my feelings chuck. I'll be royally pi$$ed off about it, but that's not the same thing at all! ;)
  20. Swine

Swine

This thread is getting a bit off topic, and might i say; You don't have to sell on eBay for sure, but by the same token you don't have to praise them for being a marketplace with some of the rules/fees they use. It's not broken, but could use some fixing for both sellers and buyers.

To bring the topic back on track I will expand on what I first said...Here's the feedback 5 star categories & what I see as the faults with them, and i'm not even talking about pos/nuteral/neg feedback in general. I am merely making a point as DSR does seem to effect many things these days like TSR etc... My point in all this is that if you have a totally 'vanilla' purchace, that wasn't spectacular but also not that fault-ridden then naturally your purchace review would be 'OK' which on the 5 star rating scheme would be a '3'. Obviously 3's are not good for DSR and TRS etc.

Item as described
    This is almost a YES / NO answer. Or even, Yes/No/Acceptable. The 'acceptable' tab would be for 2nd hand auctions etc, as if the item is BNIB/BNWT then it is either as described or not as described. We all know buyers can be very fickle, but 5 rating options is too much.

Communication
    Comms is a very hard one to rate. Personally, if i buy (especially an auction) I am not that bothered if I don't get a message/email to say it's been sent if i get it in reasonable time (not bothered with printed invoices either). If there is an issue and I don't get a response within a reasonable time then that is grounds for a poor comms rating, if my questions/issuse is responded to well and quickly then that would deserve a good rating. If item arrived fine, and there was no issue along the way then the need for a cooms review becomes kind of irrelevent.

Reviews for this should fall under Outstanding / Acceptable / Poor as if there is a need for comms then that is the real judge of customer service in the online buying/selling senario.

Dispatch time
    In a way it should be renamed 'Did you get it in acceptable time?' or even 'Time to receive'. Similarly, there are far too many options for this, a more streamlined Under expected time (outstanding) / Expected (acceptable/fine) / Late (slower than seller said, but still ok) / Very slow (unacceptably late).

Postage and packaging charges
    This almost needs a sub category (I will mention later). Thankfully thesedays we see far less of the '0.01 and 13.99 P&P' item con going on and it is reasonably fair that eBay for an automatic 5 star on free postage items. Unfortunatly this is the category that will always be the hardest to rate, as many buyers don't/won't (and why would they?) consider the P&P materials (envelops/bags/tape/labels etc) and the admin cost (printing/post office queue/ time packing etc). In a way I feel that if they were willing to pay the post charge I listed (and I am very fair, and generally very accurate at estimating) then they have no grounds to complain. If postage comes to over 1 pound less than I listed then I offer a refund of the difference (have had about half the people reject the offer and thanked me for my honesty!!). Postage ratings need not change too much but I feel that eBay should have some official blurb saying 'please consider time and materials when rating'. Rating should be along the lines of Perfect (free post so automatic max score as it is now) / Good (seller was honest with cost) / Acceptable (seemed ok but but either cheaper postage option used than advertised or obvious mark up made) / Poor (blatant mark up made on postage, or wasn't sent by method claimed/paid for).

The second point, and what would be beneficial to all parties as a sub-category of 'P&P Charges' would be 'Delivery Rating'. Personally I am very hesitant to order things that are courier dropped, at least if it's RM (despite their deluge of faults) I know I'll be able to collect from my local depot. Initial CityLink and several other private courrier companies are terrible at doing their job and then are awful to deal with when they fails (on hold on 0845 numbers for ages etc). Buyers should get an option that is along the lines of 'was delivery satisfactory?' and just get a Yes/No... this sub-cat would not affect the seller directly (and not be publically visable), as it is not thier fault if they have done their bit and courrier messes up, but enough 'No' ratings from buyers and eBay should recomend they change delivery service or something along those lines. It can work, ebuyer.co.uk dropped CityLink as their main service a while back after loads of customer complaints. CityLink is rubbish, I warn you all!

Further more, for popular items (like common 3rd party iPhone accessories etc) there should perhaps be a review tab (a bit like Amazon) that doesn't have any effect on seller, as buyers could find out more and get info before any nonsense starts with the seller. Admittedly this would only really work with popular/homogenous items. Would be good in cases such as some clothing labels that have odd sizes, so click 'User Reviews' for Atticus Polo Shirt Size L and you would read that a size L by Atticus is more a UK small-medium.

Also a 'Would You Reccommend this Seller?' (YES/NO/NOT SURE) would be a good thing, as many times I have bought items that I didn't want to be spiteful about and leave a negative as i wasn't , but by same token would certainly NOT reccomend the seller to a mate or buy from them ever again.

Sorry for the rather long-winded thing, but it is something I have been thinking about for sometime. I welcome ideas on it, and if anyone has any ideas on how to to 'make' buyers feedback? I only seem to get feedback for 1/3 of sales (and then it's all good, all my DSR's are 4.9, and 100% feedback, personal account though!)

You must be a member to reply…

Why should you join us?

• Networking Opportunities
  • Find Genuine Wholesalers
  • Source Profitable Stock
  • 100,000 Members Strong