1. To further expand the reach of our Marketplace and increase potential buyers, we have created two social accounts solely for the promotion of our Marketplace. Check it out here! Don't forget to follow our pages!
  2. "I only risk what I can afford to lose and chalk it down to experience," says our featured business for June. Find out who the community voted for this month!
  3. We would like to know you better hence we made the the introductions more interesting. Would love to see you answer the questions here!
  4. Participate in the TWF Annual Survey, give us your feedback and win exciting prices! Check out the announcement here for more info.

Similar domain name with competitor

Discussion in 'E-Commerce' started by mrbritish, Jun 29, 2011.

Image has been removed.
This URL has been automatically filtered because it has been posted by a new member. Active URLs posted by new members are always filtered. Once members have 10 or more posts and have been registered for 10 or more days, this filtering will be removed. To post URLs within the restriction period, just remove the http:// section which makes the URL non-clickable (i.e. website.com).
This email address has been automatically filtered because it has been posted by a new member. Active email addresses posted by new members are always filtered. Once members have 10 or more posts and have been registered for 10 or more days, this filtering will be removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. mrbritish

mrbritish

i am thinking of opening another website
    but after checking if my domain was available=

DOMAIN-SHOP.CO.UK

i have found a competitor is useing

DOMAINSHOP.co.uk

minus the hyphen

they also sell the same products as i will be selling
    whats everyones thoughts on me useing this domain ???
    and any possible legal issues:confused:
  2. beacon hill

beacon hill

Re: domain name

Snap ! (almost)

Another seller of the same product

Only difference they have added the hyphen in the domain name and also the email

I was there couple of years ahead of them

Dont think there,s anything you can do
  3. beacon hill

beacon hill

I sometimes have a bit of fun with this though

My starts myemail@ ******.co.uk
    Theirs is my-email@ *****.co.uk

One of their customers emailed me by mistake last week (thinking it was my rival)

They asked if their £2000 gear had been despatched
    I replied saying I know nothing about the order

OK, could have simply said he had mistakenly emailed the wrong seller (but I did,nt :eek:)

Serves the other guy right for knicking my name
  4. LoopBook7

LoopBook7

No legal issues with domain names being similar. It's perfectly fine to have hyphens,etc in there and plurals. Good idea to protect yourself from competitors by buying up any similar ones that you'd prefer the competition not to have................
  5. Michael

Michael

Not a good idea to start something in the same sector as someone with such a similar domain name but regardless of that I would stay away from any domains with a hyphen.

There is a wine producer in Australia with a wine range the same name as our company name and use the same domain but with a different ending... we have the .com and .co.uk and they use the .com.au Very annoying but has never been a problem, if it was in the UK I would have done something about it as we have the limited company registered.
  6. Gary

Gary

I wouldn't advise using a hyphonated domain name, especially whan a competitor has the one without the hyphon, the reason why is simple, if people hear your name and google you, they will hear "domain shop", not "domain hyphon shop" ergo they will google and find the other company, same applies with word of mouth, if you have a satisfied customer and they recommend you, they will probably do the same when saying your name, you will basically end up drumming up business for your competitor, I would strongly advise to go back to the drawing board!
  7. mrbritish

mrbritish

8. Andy777

Andy777

As Michael & Gary pointed out - not a good idea at all!

Why would you want to dilute/share your brand with a competitor?

Take a look @ these 10 Tips on how to find a good domain name for your website:

http://ecommercemagnates.com/domain-names/
  9. mrbritish

mrbritish

thanks andy
    basicly my current site is
    shooting-glasses
    and i wanted to open another
    shooting-shop
    to keep it linked to my main site
    deffo back to the drawing board thinking up a name as most i wanted are taken
  10. beacon hill

beacon hill

Sorry if I,ve got this wrong (not very tech minded)

Can you have another web site as a sub domain of shooting-glasses
    This way you dont have to start again with a brand new domain name, that may take
    ages to be picked up by google.

As I said I,m not very tech minded on domains etc (so please dont jump on me if I,ve got this completety wrong :cool:)

I,m just sugesting, as I recently had another web site set up as a sub domain of my
    .co.uk site, and its on P1 of google search after a month or so

You must be a member to reply…

Why should you join us?

• Networking Opportunities
  • Find Genuine Wholesalers
  • Source Profitable Stock
  • 100,000 Members Strong