1. The voting for April's Featured Business is now open! Will your business be the one? Cast your votes here!
  2. Check out our TWF Advertiser Directory and find out who to approach when looking for stocks/services! If you are currently a TWF advertiser and do not see your name in the list, please do reply on the thread with stock / service categories you offer.
  3. From being a real game fanatic to being an eBay full time seller. Learn how a hobby became an obsession from our TWF Featured Business for March!

What can I sell on my market stall??

Discussion in 'Start-ups & Business Advice' started by N1joe, Jul 23, 2009.

Image has been removed.
This URL has been automatically filtered because it has been posted by a new member. Active URLs posted by new members are always filtered. Once members have 10 or more posts and have been registered for 10 or more days, this filtering will be removed. To post URLs within the restriction period, just remove the http:// section which makes the URL non-clickable (i.e. website.com).
This email address has been automatically filtered because it has been posted by a new member. Active email addresses posted by new members are always filtered. Once members have 10 or more posts and have been registered for 10 or more days, this filtering will be removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. N1joe

N1joe

Hi guys, was just wondering if anyone had any ideas on what sort of stuff to sell on a market stall? I'm currently unemployed and sick to death of the job centre trying to get me to work like a slave and for peanuts. I would love nothing better then to get up in the mornings and work for myself, I know it will be tough and there will be bad day's, but it beat's wasting away and waiting for something to happen huh! I was thinking of fragrance oils, incense sticks, pot pourri etc. would it/could it be worth it?? I can raise about £1200 pounds to start with, would that be enough? is there any extra help I can get ie fom the job centre to help me go it alone?? thanks in advance guys for any advice it's greatly appreciated.

joe:niceone:
  2. ClumsyCol

ClumsyCol

£1,200 will be more than enough for a stall and stock. As long as you already have a van.

You will need liability insurance which is not a lot, about £75 a year or something. And a licence I think to work on markets, which again does not cost much.

I know small businesses do get some kind of help to get them started, something like £60 a week for a period of time, not sure if this is still going though, it used to.

Why not just go and ask your job centre for advice? After all this is what they get paid for mate, oh and telling us that we are lazy ***** even though we just lost our job a few weeks before!! Lol.
  3. markforbes

markforbes

Go for it and best of luck!!

I would check out what others are selling and try and see if anythings missing or look for stuff that you know will sell. I'm busy setting up a home and giftware shop in north east scotland (am not hardy enough for a market in winter:))
    I'm just going to start with homeware and giftware and I've already found some pretty good stock and wouldnt rule anything in or out stockwise. The way i do it is by ignoring RRP's and asking myself or friends/family what we think its worth. I work out the margin from that so as not to lull myself into thinking am gonna get a 100% return each time...

good luck
  4. JustCraig

JustCraig

I do a market on a Sunday, also the occasional mid week market. £1200 should be more than enough to get you up and running. I wouldn't invest the lot straight away if I was you. I would advise you to keep a little bit back as a contingency fund.

Its difficult to tell you what you should sell because every market is different and every individual is different. I sell DVDs, Video Games, Small consumer electronics etc. I do quite well but its a very competitive market and although turnover is fairly high, margins are low. A friend of mine sells trainers. Again he does very well but its a competitive market. We both have a simler stratergy. low margins, quick turnover.

People normally stick to what they have an interest in. This will give you a head start if you know your field.

Might be worth doing a few car boots with things that you have lying around at home. It will give you an idea of what type of things sell well in your area and will give you a little bit more money for when you start trading full time.

Have a look around all your local markets. Do a little mystery shopping. This too will give you an idea of what sells well and how much things go for.

There is a very interesting thread called "car *****" that you might want to have a read through. Loads of interesting info ion there. Just type it in the search bar.

Whatever you decide to do I wish you the very best of luck. Let us know how it goes :)
  5. fernsdad

fernsdad

Hi Joe,

In a similar position myself, made redundant 4 weeks ago no payout at all. Just cannot find a job that does not pay more than minimum wage at the moment. Jobcentre are crap, no help at all, do not want to be on the doll anymore. So i think i will have to come up with my own way of earning a living.

I thought of a market stall and a website, cannot realy decide which way to go at the moment. Even thought of a shop, maybe a lockup/store to run my buisness from, but i cannot make a desicison.

Anyway enough of my woe, best of luck to ya mate!!!
  6. lighthousedirec

lighthousedirec

I would take a long hard look around before deciding which line to go into, I personally wouldn't do the one you have thought of.
  7. robbo01247

robbo01247

Nothing wrong with markets mate,i do 2 days a week and clear about £1000 did put a large wedge up to start when i gave up my job though
  8. Simple Aquatics

Simple Aquatics

Hey there,

Good Luck with the market stall - check out my offers or PM me for more details. Some of the prices i have will be suited to passing trade.

Thanks
  9. robbo01247

robbo01247

10. Michael

Michael

I have some stocks that could be good for you, check out the link in my signature for more details.
  11. G4zza

G4zza

Joe, i ran an indoor Market for a year and outside Market for 4 years if it is outdoor Markets you are looking at you can get a list from the council which will tells you where all the markets are in your area on certain days of the week.to have a regular spot pay the week in advance to keep it! also if you are going to look at an indoor Market beware that normally they ask for a reference from another stall holder saying you are OK etc.also they will ask for a months deposit up front. which aprx can be about 300 quid.

Good Luck in youre venture.personally i would look at something else than insense. check out other stalls speak to them ask how long they have been doing it for will give you an idea.
    for example one indoor stall opp me was paying 900 per month and all they did was material, net curtains,lace ,etc they had been there 8 years just shows ya Hey

Best Regards
    Gazza
  12. dansadler81

dansadler81

Hi Joe,

Am in a very similar position, but a bit further along the line than you. When I got made redundant I signed on for 4 weeks.....enough was enough....I was quite a high level manager in my field and no job was paying even similar to what I got paid. I was losing money week in-week out, i've got two little uns so time was tough so I decided to do a bootsale to rustle up some funds.
    I spoke to all of my family and picked up their old bits and sold it at the bootsale(Got a mate to help me out) and we sold quite a lot of the stuff. While I was there I had a wander around at what others were selling. Some prices I thought, I could beat easily buying wholesale.
    So when I got home I looked on some wholesale websites and bought £200 worth of goods. The next week I went to the same bootsale, half stall of old stuff and half stall of new stuff. It attracts pretty much everyone who walks through the bootsale and sell quite a lot of stuff each week.(Each week I invest a % based on my outgoings)
    I continue to do this and make a decent wage(Do 4 boot fairs a week now) I don't earn as much as I did before but I enjoy it most of the time. I also do various online sales(look into dropshipping) and when I see a bargain in a shop(or bootsale), pick it up put it on ebay and make a little bit of money. My only problem in the foreseable future is in the winter when the bootsales stop(October time) I wil need to fill those months with something else as all of the markets around my area are completely full.

Overall you can defintely make a living out of doing it. I have made mistakes, bought stock that sits. But that is life, we have to try something don't we. The 5 o'clock starts can get hard. But not harder than my old boss breathing down my neck. And if i dont fancy it one day, i take the day off. No problems(As long as I have enough money to cover bills)

You are in a better position than when I started. You have more capital and I doubt you pay more money out than me (Wife and a credit card addiction). But money can be made, just need to find the right stock.

If others can do it, then so can you. P.S Very important to walk around the bootsales to see what the stalls dont have. I went to one near me and they didnt have anyone selling PS3 or Xbox 360 games believe it or not, next week I turned up with a tray full and left with it half empty.

But good luck and you can defintely do it.
  13. BGD

BGD

A couple of markets near me seem to do quite a good trade with the stalls festooned with household stuff - tea towels, sponges, batteries etc etc
  14. Herbarius

Herbarius

Hello there Joe,

I would advise you to get in contact with Jakewright under the following Link: http://www.thewholesaleforums.co.uk...rrent-stock-offers-twf-updated-regularly.html

Buy a pallet and sell the high value and Brand New & Sealed stuff on ebay or additional forums. Now test, if the rest is working fine. Take your stuff and move on to peddlars/flea markets to sell the rest. I'm sure, you can make a good profit.

You must be a member to reply…

Why should you join us?

• Networking Opportunities
  • Find Genuine Wholesalers
  • Source Profitable Stock
  • 100,000 Members Strong