1. To further expand the reach of our Marketplace and increase potential buyers, we have created two social accounts solely for the promotion of our Marketplace. Check it out here! Don't forget to follow our pages!
  2. We would like to know you better hence we made the the introductions more interesting. Would love to see you answer the questions here!
  3. The winners for the TWF Annual Survey Draw have been revealed! Are you one of them? Check the list of winners here.

What does FOB price mean?

Discussion in 'Suppliers' started by Chris494, Dec 21, 2008.

Image has been removed.
This URL has been automatically filtered because it has been posted by a new member. Active URLs posted by new members are always filtered. Once members have 10 or more posts and have been registered for 10 or more days, this filtering will be removed. To post URLs within the restriction period, just remove the http:// section which makes the URL non-clickable (i.e. website.com).
This email address has been automatically filtered because it has been posted by a new member. Active email addresses posted by new members are always filtered. Once members have 10 or more posts and have been registered for 10 or more days, this filtering will be removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. Chris494

Chris494

Hi everyone, ive been Emailing a supplier from China and he has quoted me FOB price, and if i need it, the CIF price. What do these mean? I think ive worked out MOQ (minimum order quantity)? Cheers, Chris.
  2. Pete

Pete

Re: FOB price?

FOB literally stands for Free On Board. What it really stands for is the point at which the title to the goods, and therefor the need for protection of what are now your products takes place.

If it is FOB some town, that means as soon as they turn them loose, the goods are yours. If it is a port, it means that when the goods go on the ship they are yours. It it is "tailgate" it means when their truck backs up to your door they turn them over to you.

It is also the point you become responsible for transportation costs, insurance if you want it and any port or brokerage and customs fees.

CIF means they will arrange all of this for you. Cost, Insurance & Freight. It is still your responsibility, but they will handle the details and include in your final payment.

You actually should have done a search here before psting, this has been discussed many times. If you want more info, do a search here on the forum, or even with google, etc. These are common commercial terms and have been in use for centuries.
  3. darren1979

darren1979

Re: FOB price?

F.O.B means "Free On Board" meaning they will ship to the port and then you take over and have to get the goods picked up from that port.
    C.I.F means "Cost Insurance and Freight" meaning they will deliver to your door.

Beat to it by pete, but he explained it better :D
  4. Ives

Ives

I've just found this old thread by googling, and I still don't understand! The thing I'm looking at says:

Model Number: WB026A-12MM
    MOQ: 1999 Pieces
    FOB Price: US$ 0.04 - US$ 0.07
    Country of Origin: China (mainland)
    Brand Name: SAL

So, what exactly does that US$ 0.04 - US$ 0.07 mean?
  5. Pete

Pete

It means the FOB price, or basically the price without shipping can run from $0.04 to $0.07. The 3 cent spread may have to do with quantity, options, whatever. When you see a listing like that "FOB Price" means "plus shipping". As far as the 3 cent variation, you need to contact them.
    Ives likes this.
  6. uniqbuy

uniqbuy

Be careful with FOB - some suppliers take it to mean ex-works. Makes little difference if shipping by Air but makes a huge difference if shipping by sea.
  7. Ives

Ives

What does ex-works mean?
  8. uniqbuy

uniqbuy

Means that the factory makes it available to you to collect and you have to sort out the rest. I have found it to be more common than FOB at least for smaller items like electronics.
  9. Import Expert

Import Expert

Hi Ives,

With FOB prices quoted as per your example it means from a financial perspective that the supplier will essentially pay all of the costs up to loading on vessel (this is where the 'Free On Board' derives from. As Pete has mentioned above once goods are delivered to the Port/Depot this is where you are liable for any losses/damage to the goods.

Assuming you are buying sufficient quantities for commercial sea/air freight then you should contact a UK based freight forwarder (Such as ourselves) to wuote you shipping from FOB China Port (Usuallly the nearest main one to the supplier), to Door UK.

On top of that you will then only have three additional costs - Insurance (which is obviously optional) and Duty/VAT. You then have all the costs.

All the best,
    Darren.
  10. Power Forwarding

Power Forwarding

Sorry but not quite, FOB means the supplier will cover getting it to their closest port at origin, you will then be responsible for the freight and UK side of things.

CIF means they will cover getting it to your closest port where you'll have to pay the UK charges which are usually very expensive under this method (it's certainly not to door). DAP is the terms where the supplier covers the fees to your door.

There is more to the terms but that's a very basic explanation and everyone else has explained plenty already but if you need a rate for the shipping then please do let me know and I can get you a rate to door.
  11. amar7

amar7

Sample orders are usually processed DAP then, right? And why wouldn't they always offer DAP I wonder?

You must be a member to reply…

Why should you join us?

• Networking Opportunities
  • Find Genuine Wholesalers
  • Source Profitable Stock
  • 100,000 Members Strong