1. To further expand the reach of our Marketplace and increase potential buyers, we have created two social accounts solely for the promotion of our Marketplace. Check it out here! Don't forget to follow our pages!
  2. We would like to know you better hence we made the the introductions more interesting. Would love to see you answer the questions here!
  3. The winners for the TWF Annual Survey Draw have been revealed! Are you one of them? Check the list of winners here.

What's the difference between a personal and business eBay account?

Discussion in 'eBay, Amazon & Online Marketplaces' started by Luke, Mar 22, 2009.

Image has been removed.
This URL has been automatically filtered because it has been posted by a new member. Active URLs posted by new members are always filtered. Once members have 10 or more posts and have been registered for 10 or more days, this filtering will be removed. To post URLs within the restriction period, just remove the http:// section which makes the URL non-clickable (i.e. website.com).
This email address has been automatically filtered because it has been posted by a new member. Active email addresses posted by new members are always filtered. Once members have 10 or more posts and have been registered for 10 or more days, this filtering will be removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. Luke

Luke

Evening,

Just a quick question.

What it the difference between a personal and business account?

I know the fees have now changed, but apart from that, is there a limit on how much you can sell in monetary terms?
  2. LOWRIDER

LOWRIDER

Re: Accounts

Talking about ebay or paypal? or something else!!!
  3. Luke

Luke

Sorry, Ebay.
  4. Anthony

Anthony

If you are trading commercially, you should be registered as a business. This isn't just for eBay but also in accordance with the law.

I can only assume, hence you being on here, you are a business and should therefore be registered as such with HMRC and have the appropriate accounts with any marketplaces that you use.
  5. WeDropIt

WeDropIt

1 difference is the number of items you list can and probably will be limited with a personal account. ALL Powersellers have to be business registered and if you intend selling in high volumes, or repeat selling same items you will also need to register a business account otherwise problems will arise

Matt
  6. Luke

Luke

Nope, I'm not a business.

Reason for asking was that I was going to buy a few bits and pieces as wholesale and try and sell them on Ebay that was all.

Nothing too serious.
  7. isydropship

isydropship Banned Member

So you are a business.

Buying to make a profit?
  8. Luke

Luke

I'm not a business because nothing is set up.

I was just thinking about earning a little more cash that was all and wasn't sure whether I'd get penalised by Ebay if I sold things on a personal account.
  9. ifti

ifti

If you buy something with the intention of selling for a profit, then you are classed as a business user.

You CAN be a powerseller while not having a business account - I know since I used to be one on a private account, although I lost the status shortly after when I ran out of things to sell! Ive since had to change to a business account as I didnt realise that if you buy to sell for profit eBay class you as a business user.

Nevertheless, I got powerseller status back again, and am about to lose it again since Ive gone off of eBay due to the high fees between eBay and PayPal, and the new feedback rules etc.
  10. Luke

Luke

So if I sell a few extra bits and pieces on Ebay then I'm not going to have my account frozen or something stupid?
  11. Andy777

Andy777

No, of course not! If you sell items from around your house, you'll be ok with personal account.
  12. Mitch

Mitch

eBay would freeze your account until you made a business one if you were buying lots to re sell
  13. nautilus

nautilus

I don't think ebay will freeze your account as they generally turn a blind eye to obvious business sellers masquarading as private sellers. However an ebay competitor could report you to the tax authorities and I believe that there is the possibility that the tax people could pick up on ebay sellers who are obviously buying to sell on. It is clearly stated that buying with the intention to sell on classes you as a business.
    In answer to your question the main difference between private and business is that you will by law have to pay tax on you profit provided you are over your personal tax free limit for the year. There may also be a liability for NI payments.
  14. aadham

aadham

depends on how often you decide to do this, if ebay clock onto it there will probably be restrictions implemented on your account, its best to just use a business account to be safe.
  15. pearson002

pearson002

is there a difference in the fees between the two accounts
  16. N1HU$TLA

N1HU$TLA

what if he make no profit on them?

You must be a member to reply…

Why should you join us?

• Networking Opportunities
  • Find Genuine Wholesalers
  • Source Profitable Stock
  • 100,000 Members Strong