1. To further expand the reach of our Marketplace and increase potential buyers, we have created two social accounts solely for the promotion of our Marketplace. Check it out here! Don't forget to follow our pages!
  2. We would like to know you better hence we made the the introductions more interesting. Would love to see you answer the questions here!
  3. The winners for the TWF Annual Survey Draw have been revealed! Are you one of them? Check the list of winners here.

Why are none of my ebay items selling!!???

Discussion in 'eBay, Amazon & Online Marketplaces' started by missdiva, Oct 9, 2005.

Image has been removed.
This URL has been automatically filtered because it has been posted by a new member. Active URLs posted by new members are always filtered. Once members have 10 or more posts and have been registered for 10 or more days, this filtering will be removed. To post URLs within the restriction period, just remove the http:// section which makes the URL non-clickable (i.e. website.com).
This email address has been automatically filtered because it has been posted by a new member. Active email addresses posted by new members are always filtered. Once members have 10 or more posts and have been registered for 10 or more days, this filtering will be removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. missdiva

missdiva

[​IMG]

None of my items on ebay seem to be selling !! first time iv'e been this unsucessfull.

Could anyone please tell my why they may not be selling ???

I personally thought they would of been a success.

Heres the link to my items:

http://search.ebay.co.uk/_W0QQsassZdiva_986QQhtZ-1

Would really appreciate this.

Regards,

Diva
  2. Poppy

Poppy

Just had a quick look. The photos of the small jewellery items are out of focus. I wouldn't bid on something that didn't have a clear photo.
  3. force5

force5

you still have 4 days on the auctions so they will probably sell still.

I always thought the best idea was to have auctions finishing on a sunday night , as thats when most people are surfing the net.
  4. Martin

Martin

Well I always place my bid in the last 5 minutes of any auction, unless someone else has been daft enough to bid earlier. In that case I will bid and I'll bid the maximum I'm prepared to pay. Then I go away and forget about it.

MissDiva, have you a colour scanner? It's often possible to "photograph" small items quite nicely with a scanner.

Otherwise, put the item in a white bath and use a camera with "macro" (close-up) facility.

Or make a "bath" out of white card. DON'T use flash.
  5. Richard

Richard

I agree with the comments above - I always bid right at the end of the auction - in the last 10 seconds if possible.....
  6. Karen

Karen

When taking pictures of jewellery you should use the macro function and turn the flash off like Martin says. Put a piece of paper with some black print on in the spot where you are going to take the picture of the jewellery (I use the camera manual). Get the focus right using the black print and then switch the paper/book for the jewellery so you keep the distance the same between the object and the camera. Then depress the button on the camera all the way to take your picture.

My ebay auctions are miserable at the moment if that makes you feel better.
  7. TOF_Keith

TOF_Keith

eBay has been absolutely abysmal for me lately. When I started selling on eBay (about four years ago) I always sold at least 50 per cent of the items I listed. These days I sell between ten and twenty per cent, and for much lower prices. Most people that I know who sell on eBay are all saying the same thing, “It’s not what it used to be”. eBay has become very competitive. There seems to be far more sellers than buyers these days. I only use it now as a way to advertise my website. I would still recommend it as a way to start off and gain experience at online selling, but despite the fact that many use it as a full time business and seem to be earning good money at it, I personally would advise against it.
  8. juve20

juve20

hey

Has ebay slowed down?? Well thats a bit of bad news! I had lots of things I wanted to get rid of on ebay!

Probibley right, more sellers than buyers!

tony
  9. baj3171

baj3171

I've noticed a big slow down with ebay these last few days. Last week was ok though, if not spectacular. Its been stop/start for most of the year. Unless I have a good christmas on ebay, I think I'll stop using it.
  10. Karen

Karen

I only use it for advertising these days, it wouldn't be worth selling on ebay alone. There are too many timewasters, too many people selling for peanuts (playing at being in business) and ebay don't do enough to manage those people selling shonky items.
  11. the-ferret

the-ferret

It's not just the pictures that need imporvement, the descriptive text could be a lot better. Personally I am put off by the & day return being so prominent... makes me suspect that you expect them to be returned!

I am selling used IT kit on ebay and do quite well thanks. Yes it is competitive and it has become more mainstream but like any other sales channell you have to remain competitive and move with the times.

Personally I am toying with the idea of an Ebay shop linked to my main websites, just because it feels less hassle than setting up an ecommerce solution (all be it a bit more expensive in the long run)
  12. baj3171

baj3171

I share Karen's view. Unless business is good on ebay this christmas, I'll either use it for advertising or drop it altogether.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
    I got well and truely shafted last Valentine's by idiots like that. Two weeks before Valentine's I sold every item I put up on ebay. Which was great, even christmas only saw an average of 70-80%. So, quietly confident, I put up the last of my Valentine's auctions...

...and sold one item out of forty-odd! Livid wasn't the word! On further investigation I found ebay had been saturated by fly-by-night idiots making little or no profit on the items they are selling.

You can easily spot auctions by these people. You could pay the final price with the coppers in your pocket and their feedback rating is usually less than your shoe size.

smallbizsoftware (wots-ya-name!)

Ebay shops are expensive. If you're to lazy to build your own store, its an option. But why put your eggs in one basket and tie yourself closer to ebay. If ebay sales become unreliable or ebay just goes t!ts up, your whole income is suddenly gone. At least with your own site you would still have money coming in.
  13. juve20

juve20

Advertising on ebay!

Do you guys mean through your "about me" page and having your url as your ebay username??

Is there anyother way?

Theres so many people getting away with selling **** and the like on ebay and they manage to get away with it, surly a wee link in the body of the discription wont get you banned from ebay!

tony
  14. baj3171

baj3171

No. You are taking the term to literally.
    There's always another way.

I'm sure its been discussed here before.
    If anyone reports you for it, then yes.

Have you heard the phrase "Anything is legal so long as you don't get caught".

As ebay don't actively police/screen listings, they become easy pickings for people with this attitude.
  15. juve20

juve20

thanks for the great advice! [​IMG]
  16. TOF_Keith

TOF_Keith

Using your About Me page to advertise your website is the legal way to do it on eBay, but the trick then is to make sure that most people who read your item descriptions are tempted in some way to visit your About Me page.
    As for using the description to advertise, I go through phases. At the moment I’m not doing this, but in the past I’ve used anything from subtle text links to huge banners in my descriptions to advertise my website. Most of my direct competition flouts this rule, and some do so to the extreme that you’d have to see it to believe it. It’s either a case of nobody ever reports them (I certainly wouldn’t) or eBay turns a blind eye to them because they spend a fortune on listing fees.
    By far the most effective means of advertising on eBay for me is to collect the e-mail addresses of every customer I get from eBay, and every so often (when times get tough) send out a website discount voucher to all my past customers. I always get a great response to this, and this alone is what makes eBay worthwhile continuing with for me.
  17. juve20

juve20

thats more like it! cheers Keith.

thanks
    tony
  18. baj3171

baj3171

Keith's right, but that is only a part of what Karen and myself were refering to. (Collecting mailing lists like that is also against ebay rules, by the way.)

I was trying to give you a little nudge in the right direction and get you to think for yourself. (Without being rude and telling you to RTFM.)
  19. richard-r

richard-r

Martin

Why don't you use flash?

richard.
  20. Martin

Martin

Because mostly you are taking close-up shots so you'll get nasty reflections. Flash is OK at a distance but then you are into the additional expense of buying one or more remote flash units plus diffusers. A bath or white card in good daylight is much cheaper!

(See me naked on my About Me page! - tempted?)

You must be a member to reply…

Why should you join us?

• Networking Opportunities
  • Find Genuine Wholesalers
  • Source Profitable Stock
  • 100,000 Members Strong