1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
Have you checked if your business appears in our directory? Add your basic information for FREE!

Click Here to know more!!

If you would like links to source leads, upgrade from £12.50 a month!

Click Here to subscribe!
Dismiss Notice

Hi Guest!

Our website stays online because of the support of our advertisers. A huge part of them are from banner ads that appear on our site. While some of them seems to be intrusive for some, these ads are needed to keep our community running and continue providing free membership service for buyers.

In light to this, we request that you disable ad blocking programs or add our website to your ad blocker's whitelist. This keeps us from offering our basic membership to everyone for free and help with maintenance costs of our website.

If you have already disabled ad blocking programs or added us into the whitelist, please ignore this message, this message will disappear in a few seconds!

£1,000 of tablet PC's stolen - Worthing, West Sussex

Discussion in 'Legal, Insurance, Employment and Health & Safety' started by Jason8, Feb 11, 2012.

1. Jason8

Jason8

Good Day Everyone

I returned to my parents empty house last night who are abroad at the moment to be welcomed by a burglary, the theives had broken in between 5th Feb - 10th Feb and took a 40" Samsung TV along with a box of 7" tablets (m009fx) and some Novo 7 Paladins.

Police have been round with nothing too promising but there was a cigarette butt left by the back-door which could be promising. But ultimately pretty weak case in all, it seems something as simple as wearing gloves will pretty much eliminate the chances of ever being caught, on asking them how on earth do they catch them they said there have been cases where thieves have helped themself to a drink in the victims kitchen! The cheek!

Anyway. I was curious, would these items be covered by Home Insurance in the same manner as my TV, my gut feeling is not. And only covered by commercial insurance, any advice from those who have suffered similar fate would be welcomed and much appreciated.

And on a side note, anyone that resides in the Worthing, West Sussex area, if you see anyone with either of these tablets I would say there's a large chance their one of mine - we also have each unit marked with a unique reference id. If by some miracle you do please contact Worthing Police quoting case no. 1368 or drop me a PM

Many Thanks
  2. shopafrolix

shopafrolix Banned Member

sorry to hear that, hope you find the culprits. what form of markings did you use, I may need to do the same to my stock.
  3. uhafmail

uhafmail

Check the t&cs of the policy yourself, don't ask the insurer as it may void the whole claim entirely.

I would keep checking eBay for sellers in the area selling these tablets - sort by distance to you.
    Jason8 likes this.
  4. Volantary

Volantary

Ouch that's horrible, sorry to hear that :( Hope you can persuade your insurance company to pay out!
  5. Pete

Pete

In the US, and I would think UK, you can get riders covering business assets in a home, both equipment and inventory, but they have to be declared and values placed. At least value limits, like inventory up to 10k, etc. But it must be done before an event, naturally.

This won't help you, Jason. In fact, as mentioned, you might be better off not even talking to insurance. The TV alone is probably below the deductible amount and they may claim the inventory was the "lure" that caused the entire incident and wiggle out.

Of course, I'm not in the UK and can only tell you what I know on my side, but without mentioning you are running a business and paying for additional coverage, I'd say you won't get far at all. And reporting it may only drive up rates in the future.
  6. shopafrolix

as with most insurance Policies, not declaring something can make the whole policy void - unless stock was covered specifically, I'd not mention it. Maybe just say 1 or 2 tablets that we each owned personally, etc
  7. grandstream

grandstream

DONT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES TRY AND CLAIM THESE UNLESS ITS A BUSINESS POLICY , IT WILL VOID YOUR WHOLE CLAIM , Although you have declared the missing busines items to police do not volunteer this information unless asked directly to your home insurance ... im pretty sure a few of them were personal use , claim for them.... I KNOW as it happened to a friend who had house broken into as had £4000 of personal items stolen and £500 o business stock , running a business from home" increases the risks " and insurance p[eople will use this to declare policy void , they did pay him something in the end aftera fight , they reduced claim by such large percentage that after excess he was left with a few hundred quid to collect

Also NEVER tell your motor vechile insurance people OR THE POLICE your using your vechile for business purposes , such as going to mail centre /post office / doing a delivery UNLESS you have declared business use on the policy
    I KNOW as i saw it on the telly :) woman makes cakes from home then delivers to offices , she claimed HER doing delivery was "one off" but as her car was personal insurance policy she was charged and fined and got six points for having no insurance , YES she had insurance but it was personal insurance so she was not covered so effectively uninsured and court backed it up
  8. Pete

Pete

If you have filed a police report for the business inventory, do not file with the insurance company at all. They will want a copy of the police report and see that what you claimed with the police is different than what you claimed with them.

Of course, consider the value, but if your main personal loss was the telly, just bite the bullet and accept it. DO NOT tell the cops one thing and the insurance company something else.
  9. uhafmail

uhafmail

Quite often with low value claims - sounds like just a TV, they will just want to have a crime reference number and will settle without a police report.

When my uni house got burgled, i managed to claim around £4000 worth of items stolen without the insurance company getting the actual police report - the police took ages to actually supply me with one.
  10. tom180

tom180

Well if anything, at least now you know to have the correct insurance..........

Sorry to hear nevertheless.
  11. Gary

Gary

As above, unless the tablets were declared to the insurance company they will not be covered, and if declared after the event then the insurers would see it that it was in fact the tablets that were the target of the burglars who took the opportunity to also grab the TV, which from what you say was taken seems to be the case, in which case the insurers will almost undoubtedly declare the claim void, unfortunately this is a risk with storing stock at home with insufficient insurance and could effectively happen to anyone, I truly am sorry to hear of the loss and do sincerely hope that the culprits are caught!

As mentioned above, look at the terms of the insurance do NOT ask the company who will probably find some clause or sub clause to get out of paying.
  12. Jason8

Jason8

Many thanks for all of our suggestions and kind words. Has actually brought to light something I didnt even consider with regards to insurance, taken on board.

If anything I hope this has encouraged a home-business or two to take out the sufficient insurance and be vigilant with stock storage
  13. shopafrolix

was the stock marked with infra-red pen ?