1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
Have you checked if your business appears in our directory? Add your basic information for FREE!

Click Here to know more!!

If you would like links to source leads, upgrade from £12.50 a month!

Click Here to subscribe!
Dismiss Notice

Hi Guest!

Our website stays online because of the support of our advertisers. A huge part of them are from banner ads that appear on our site. While some of them seems to be intrusive for some, these ads are needed to keep our community running and continue providing free membership service for buyers.

In light to this, we request that you disable ad blocking programs or add our website to your ad blocker's whitelist. This keeps us from offering our basic membership to everyone for free and help with maintenance costs of our website.

If you have already disabled ad blocking programs or added us into the whitelist, please ignore this message, this message will disappear in a few seconds!

£500,000 fine! Cookie directive

Discussion in 'Legal, Insurance, Employment and Health & Safety' started by shaununo, Apr 24, 2012.

1. shaununo

shaununo

The cookie directive: http://cookiesdirective.com/

Been viewing a few websites today and a few have had pop up boxes saying

On 26 May 2011, the rules about cookies on websites changed. This site uses cookies. Some of the cookies we use are essential for parts of the site to operate and have already been set. We also use a Google Analytics script which uses cookies. You may delete and block all cookies from this site, but parts of the site will not work. To find out more about cookies on this website, see our privacy policy.

I accept cookies from this site (tick)

You can download a free script from the above site, just wondered what everyone else is using as not tried the above script yet, or are you not bothering with the directive and taking the risk on the big 500K fine.
    Nayasha Shah likes this.
  2. Gerrit_Max

Gerrit_Max

This is a big step backwards, it just shows how FU****G stupid law makers are.
    I can see people leaving sites thinking it's something bad or that their
    computer will get infected with something.

STUPID, STUPID, STUPID.

Gerrit :(

<mod edit: changed to standard font>
  3. Gary

Gary

Got to agree with Gerrit, bad news!
  4. UKbuyer1

UKbuyer1

Yep, bad news all round.
  5. Gary

Gary

and it's going to be a pain to integrate into our websites :(

Thing is, my privacy policy already covers cookies in detail along with how they can turn off acceptance of cookies via their browser but this is no longer going to be good enough to the point where as mentioned above, it will make some people think there is something dodgy going on!
  6. shaununo

shaununo

I agree it is a bit of a pain to implement on your websites and the UK was giving an extra year to do this, still got a month to comply with it, but and am still trying to find that subtle box and script that will not scare your visitors off when first visiting.
  7. super_touring

super_touring

8. Tango34uk

Tango34uk

Another European law that I wont take one bit of notice of!
  9. Peter Scargill

Peter Scargill

Lace likes this.
  10. Airsoft4You

Airsoft4You

shaununo likes this.
  11. megadanny1

megadanny1

The new cookie law is another one of those things invented to 'empower consumers' and screw over companies/website owners
    the term 'cookie' has been turned into a buzz word for 'virus' by the media, the ICO's own data showed that only 10% of visitors to its website chose to accept cookies,

i'm sure there are many web design companies using this law to their advantage and trying to get businesses to pay them for 'cookie compliance services' under the threat of a £500000 fine from the ICO

on my sites i will probably just remove analytics and start using AWstats or piwik
  12. Lace

Lace Retired Moderator

Just read that the #eucookie was just implemented (25 May).

Here's a free guide/whitepaper on how websites can adhere to the new regulations, including technical implementation, design, layout, and content, and information structure (c/o BSS Digital): http://twf.to/LVRTjT

And ICO just released a video answering #eucookie FAQs:

Anyone updated their sites yet?
    SimpleEarth and shaununo like this.
  13. Dave

Dave

Hi Lace,
    I am having mine updated at the moment.
    Dave
  14. Saajan

Saajan

15. megadanny1

megadanny1

Hardly anyone is compliant with the cookie law, even my local council are breaking it
    The ICO said that they are not going to fine anyone thats is 'taking steps' to become compliant
    besides how do they prove who owns the domain/website, WHOIS information is often out of date, and not verified or simply not given, it would take way too long to get court orders against web-hosts and registrars for little information that probably wouldn't stand up in a court anyway due to the fact you can input fake info or move house or sell the site to someone who doesn't change the details on the account
  16. Volantary

Volantary

Anything with a "road to compliance" needs to be reconsidered. Kinda like making the colour yellow illegal.
  17. Dean

Dean

Made me think of Urban Cookie Collective from my younger years...!!

Do you think the ICO have the key?!?
  18. Lace

Lace Retired Moderator

Would love to hear about your experience Dave, keep us posted :)
  19. Nayasha Shah

Nayasha Shah

I have got mine fully implemented today only.