301 redirects - PR transfer

Discussion in 'Social Media, SEO/SEM & Online Marketing' started by Aces, Feb 6, 2012.

1. Aces

Aces

Hi guys,

does anybody have any experience in 301 re directs?
    I have a domain name that is only about 3 months old with no page rank.

I'm in the process of looking for a domain with page rank 4 or 5, in any niche.
    The plan is to 301 re direct the high PR domain to my new domain homepage.

Has anybody tried this method before? does the PR transfer to the new domain successfully?

Ideally I would like to buy a ages domain, and build my site on that, but I need to have my own brand in my domain.
  2. DaleB

DaleB

In a word, partially. Some of the PR will transfer but it will not 'pass along' it's FULL value.

A 301 redirect is a permanent redirect which essentially 'forces' Google to begin crawling your site again to update the PR.

It is always reccomended to never use a redirect, but sometimes it just isn't possible.

Take a look at the folowing article also - http://www.bruceclay.com/newsletter/volume78/301pagerank.html
  3. redspell

redspell Banned Member

As Dale has just posted, your 301 Redirect probably won't work in the way you want it to in this instance.

As and when the destination pages are crawled and found to offer different keyworded content than the redirected url was originally ranked for then it will quickly lose its page rank due to the Google algorithyms.

In my experience, redirects only work well for keyword domains that will benefit from direct type in traffic.
  4. Aces

Aces

thanks for the info guys.

redspell: yeh that will be a problem with the high PR site not being relevant, and not have similar keywords..

Dale: "It is always reccomended to never use a redirect, but sometimes it just isn't possible"
    I thought it was a perfectly white hat method of SEO? as there are instances when this has to be done (when two companies merge etc)

can you just apply the whois privacy option to mask the transfer?
    i'm still unsure actually how to do this? I've just read it in my research somewhere.