Dismiss Notice
Have you checked if your business appears in our directory? Add your basic information for FREE!

Click Here to know more!!

If you would like links to source leads, upgrade from £12.50 a month!

Click Here to subscribe!

A Complete Guide to Starting a Blog in 2012

Discussion in 'Social Media, SEO/SEM & Online Marketing' started by Lace, Feb 13, 2012.

1. Lace

Lace Retired Moderator

Hi Everyone, sharing another guest post we wrote for Salehoo. This time we talk about starting to blog for your business. I note we have a few bloggers here inside the community (i.e. Andy, planner, John, uhafmail, nick-chunias, Dale, Oli, etc.) and this post is actually inspired by them.

[​IMG]

Read “A Complete Guide to Starting a Blog in 2012”

Blogging is a really vast and interesting subject that touch on SEO, social media, and public relations so I am sure everyone will have something to add : )

Share your experiences, blogging tips, and questions below – likes and social mentions up for grabs!
    DaleB likes this.
  2. planner

planner

I started blogging in October 2011. never blogged before so it is a very big learning curve. I have had a lot of help from Alistair at eshop, Vicky aka ladygvw, DaleB and others who I have failed to mention.:oops: As a few people have mentioned you need good original content so Google eats from it and doesn't spit it out when it realises it had that meal before. keywords are very very important also. Back links also to improve your rankings. I am at present a newbie in the world of blogging. Reason I started was to try my hand at affiliating which to date isn't going very well. :mad:
  3. Lace

Lace Retired Moderator

Great to hear from you Martin, I was hoping you'd respond :) You're absolutely right, original content will make Google fall in love with your blog! Not to mention, the readers too. Do you have any writing/blogging rituals? (ie in the morning or in the wee hours of the night)
  4. planner

planner

Hi Lace, to tell you the truth I do it different times of the day. Just when I get time to do it working round my full time job. There have been times when I haven't blogged for a whole week or so due to being that busy.
    Lace likes this.
  5. John

John

You will start to find less blogs appearing in the next coming years with Googles algorithm's improving, it will be tough for Bloggers to compete. Niche blogging will also probably see a pitfull.
  6. Lace

Lace Retired Moderator

Thanks for showing up John :) Competition will really start to increase, albeit it is already tough to catch attention now. IMO it all boils down to having a real quality blog with time and effort really put into. Obviously, you're doing really well with CH - any pointers on SEO for blogs?
  7. John

John

To be honest Lace, I really just used some Analysis software. Just make sure your keywords are relevant to your post and the keywords are included in the content. I have also heard making the keywords bold helps although I havent tried this myself it may be something worth implementing. Popularity also plays its key parts although alot of people would use spamming techniques, I wouldnt recommend it as it would probably get you a bad name...Then again, I havent done it. But writing quality guest posts with a backlink to your site wouldnt hurt and would encourage others to visit your blog for more content. Thats my thoughts anyway :)
    Lace likes this.
  8. Lace

Lace Retired Moderator

Great stuff John! Popularity boosts a blog whilst a blog can boost popularity, everything really comes full circle at some point. I'm always amazed to see bloggers in different niches with thousands of followers. Throwing you a mention on Twitter today with your blogging tips :)
    John likes this.
  9. Lace

Lace Retired Moderator

Hey Martin, I forgot to ask if you are now on Twitter so I could give you a shout-out? If you could reply with some of your own blogging tips that would be great! :grin:
  10. planner

planner

Hi lace, I am not on Twitter. As for blogging tips I don't have any. Still learning and my blog isn't doing as well as it was when i first started. You need the professionals to reply to your thread lace for tips on how to be successful.
  11. Lace

Lace Retired Moderator

Thank you Martin, appreciate your response :)
  12. UKbuyer1

UKbuyer1

Like Martin, I started blogging last year. Just something as a hobby really, as I love to write. It also makes me feel like I am doing justice to my English degree which I worked so hard to complete against difficult personal circumstances at the time.

As with the responses above, I have little SEO (just a couple of WP Plugins) but do try and publish a couple of quality articles/help guides per week. This alone seems to work in terms of visitors, as the graph shows an upwards trend month on month.

I write about eBay and general money making (what else?!), and I try and mix it up with a combination of self help guides, news (eBay related) and reviews of different products.

I sort of find it therapeutic when I write, so I am not doing it for the money (have made very little!), but rather for the pleasure.
  13. planner

planner

Where as i am trying to earn a few pounds from my blog. At present its not working lol.:(
  14. UKbuyer1

UKbuyer1

Well, lo and behold Martin, I logged into Clickbank just now to find I had made some sales totalling $55!

My first commissions with Clickbank! I only went on to sign up to be a vendor as well!
    Lace likes this.
  15. planner

planner

Money goes to money Rick lol.;)
  16. John

John

To be honest, I dont really have a lot of time to blog anymore, it was a shame we lost all the posts we had when we had it before. But hey I still blog when I can... Will be alot better when we have some interviews etc. up, will be looking for guest posters soon :) to try and keep a content flow.
    Lace likes this.
  17. Alexander MacGregor

Alexander MacGregor

Some good advice.

I do think in general there is conflicting advice out there regarding blogging. Some people advise not to write about you or your company and instead focus on the market or customers. I'm not sure about this - I tend to think a mixture of your and other people's content works best.

At the end of the day, blogging is just another form of communicating to customers and stakeholders. The main thing I think is relevancy.
    Lace likes this.
  18. Lace

Lace Retired Moderator

Thanks for taking the time to read Alexander, some interesting points you raised there. I'm a fan of blogs who offer 'insiders' or 'backstage' stories that make their brand more personable although I agree it should be a mix of topics about yourself, your industry, community, even the occasional trending news won't hurt.

No one really wants to listen to someone who just keeps talking about themselves ;)