1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
Have you checked if your business appears in our directory? Add your basic information for FREE!

Click Here to know more!!

If you would like links to source leads, upgrade from £12.50 a month!

Click Here to subscribe!
Dismiss Notice

Hi Guest!

Our website stays online because of the support of our advertisers. A huge part of them are from banner ads that appear on our site. While some of them seems to be intrusive for some, these ads are needed to keep our community running and continue providing free membership service for buyers.

In light to this, we request that you disable ad blocking programs or add our website to your ad blocker's whitelist. This keeps us from offering our basic membership to everyone for free and help with maintenance costs of our website.

If you have already disabled ad blocking programs or added us into the whitelist, please ignore this message, this message will disappear in a few seconds!

Advertising at a Football Stadium

Discussion in 'Social Media, SEO/SEM & Online Marketing' started by Kingamer, Jun 4, 2015.

1. Kingamer

Kingamer

Hi Guys

Just want to ask if anyone has done this? Its just I got a call from a company about doing this at my local football team and just want to see who thinks its a good idea. Its not something I could afford at the time as I have had a small problem with a break in but is it something I could afford to past by

What are your thoughts
  2. Erik

Erik

Hi Amer,

I think it would be good if they will give you an option to advertise for just 1 month. Handing out flyers and advertising on the web is one thing for an eCommerce business, but I have doubts on it when you put up a big of an advertisement like in a stadium. Might be a good idea to jump in if you saved enough from your business' income and you'll spend that for advertising. That way you won't have to think much of losses and instead can closely monitor your sales / visits during the whole time your ad is up.

Just my 2 pence anyway :)
    Kingamer likes this.
  3. Kingamer

Kingamer

It's a 12 month deal and it's on advertising screens. I have a meeting with one off there reps tomorrow will see what they say.
    It's for a league 1 football team who just missed out on a play off place.
    Average crowd off around 15000 plus match days.
  4. Erik

Erik

In my days managing games and thinking of ways to advertise it to get more sales, one percentage that we always keep in mind is that for all free-to-play games out there, only 1 - 5% of the whole population actually buys something. So considering your advertisement, and for a 15000 daily views, suspecting that we have a measly 1% of them actually checking your website and potentially purchasing an item, that's about 150 people. It's on a daily basis though and they are not guaranteed buyers, so it could go lower. On a good day though it could potentially grow to 5% = 750 people in one shot. Now if you would gather visitors I think it's a pretty good deal already when you think of daily returns, just get a good idea on how many of those 750 will actually buy, or in the worst day possible, how many will buy out of 150?

Another thing to consider is if it is possible your target market has a high presence in the stadium? I believe you are in the electronics market right? So I suppose it would be fine to target a football stadium, only that we can only know how effective it is until we have tried it for about a month. Nevertheless, for visits alone, I think you have a high chance of gaining a lot of new visitors in your site with it. We might even go lucky and have the 'Word of mouth" aspect kick in ;)

If you do choose to go with it, I think you should consider a promotion for it. Like a twitter contest of sorts for them to "spot the ad" and anyone who tweets it could get a discount or anything ;). Get more hype out of your advertisement and it'll spread like wild fire for sure!

Good Luck!
    Kingamer likes this.
  5. Dean

Dean

I reckon the conversions from those advertising screens are very very small, if anything at all. Even if people take any notice of them in the first place, what are the chances they will remember anything they saw on them a few hours later.
    Kingamer likes this.
  6. Kingamer

Kingamer

Thanks for the advice Eric. I like the way you are looking at this and yes you make a valid point. What do you think something like this would cost.
  7. Dave

Dave

I am starting to sponsor trophies / races at Drag races, more because it is a sport that is starting out and because I love cars BUT I will get lots of pr in the local press and one of my businesses will appeal to nearly anyone.
    I will try and remember to update if I get sales from it.
    kryskros and Kingamer like this.
  8. Import Expert

Import Expert

The Bantams by any chance?

We sponsor a number of sporting clubs locally, the largest deal being with Essex Cricket Club (Who are having a terrible season so far this year!). We have very prominent branding all over the ground which as well as the paying supporters is seen a lot on Sky Sports, etc. Do we get any business from that - Very hard to measure but I'd honestly say very little. Where we gain from this are the networking opportunities this creates and the whole brand image. It's maybe a very different business we are in - we aim for long term customers so it's all about creating those relationships.

I'd probably agree with Erik in that you could ask them for a trial and see how you fair. Offer a discount code or similar so you can track any success and return on investment. Also need to consider the cost of creating the adverts themselves.

Watch out for Woodland Group from about 1:20 - http://www1.skysports.com/watch/video/sports/cricket/9348872/cooky's-big-bash-
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2015
    Kingamer likes this.
  9. andrew page

andrew page

well all i can say is sports direct biggest advert areas is football stadiums and look where he is now :)
  10. psxgamer

psxgamer

Turn it the other way around. If you go to a stadium or elsewhere do you pay attention to the advertising?

If it's in your surroundings and you have a shop in the neighbourhood I'd consider it. Else I think it's a waste of money. Certainly a 12 month contract.
  11. SimonN

SimonN

I don't even remember the game a few hours later.. never mind the advertising :eek:
  12. psxgamer

psxgamer

I took a day off today, spend a few hours watching television. Can't remember any of the adds I saw only remember one thing and that's how annoyed I got by them finally causing turning of my tv.
  13. ULAK

ULAK

If you are going to go for this, go with @Erik idea. Make the advert memorable in a way that makes people want to follow up by offering them a memorable experience in seeing it, or a deal they want and remember to follow up. A mix of social media and/or special deals can be very effective if done right.

I think though the key for this opportunity is that do you really think that the people watching the match will want to follow up? It is hours later before they will have the opportunity in most cases (who buys electronics during a game?). Are these people really your target market (meaning are they the ones who will see your ad and want to buy)?

Finally, are you looking at this as a brand awareness campaign for long term exposure, or a real sales campaign with the goal of RoAS (return on advertising spend)? If you are looking for brand awareness, what are your long term goals to capitalize on this, and if you are looking for RoAS then you might have lost a bit of money doing this.

Please tell us what you end up doing and how it turns out. I am very interested! (I personally work on online banner ads and PPC so always like to hear others stories!)
  14. Erik

Erik

Think this one will stick to your mind for a while :D

cwvps likes this.
  15. ULAK

ULAK

That Earworm will not leave me! Best advert EVER
    [​IMG]
  16. psxgamer

psxgamer

You've ruined my day :\:D
  17. manishp100

manishp100

I think this has been mentioned before but there is no way to track sales from that advertising unless you offer a discount code (that people actually end up using).

You might be able to measure traffic - if you start seeing spikes on the day or day after a game, or if you start seeing a spike in traffic in the month trial that you advertise and then see a drop off the month after you can come to the conclusion that having the brand in the public eye is getting people to your website - then its up to you, your offerings and your website to convert them.

I have had offers like this to the hill, I have on PR company who can get our brand in a hell of a lot of publications, one of their top client is someone that I know personally and sells online and does tremendously well, he vouched for them so I will try them out in the near future but again its probably best to quantify the pay off.

Brand Awareness vs Trackable sales

And Brand Awareness might translate into sales (but it might not)

Do a risk assessment, can you afford to spend that money and not get any revenue from it? - and if this happens how long and how much work is involved to get this money back. Work this out and you will know if you can afford to do this or not.
  18. psxgamer

psxgamer

I've done a simular thing but then online. I added a link to my website to a business directory in my country which is free. After a few weeks a got a visist from a representative of this company with an offer to advertise. A 3 year contract which I wasn't really keen on. So after some discussing got a deal for 3 years where I only pay for 2 years. Will cost me € 300 for the 3 years.

Main reason for it is it allows me to advertise specifically in the surroundings. No idea how effective it will be. Should be a nice backlink for my website as a plus. So I hope il will driv me some extra customers for my shop.
  19. Dave Casuals

Dave Casuals

from any games i've been to see, and i havn't been to many but used to live in watford and went to see them last season, any advertising screens are normally local businesses...they advertise before the game and half time and you tend to wonder how many people are actually interested. Any i saw on advertising screens were local businesses. TV screens never get any additional advertising through tv or highlights but If it's on boards around the ground then thats a different matter as that will be picked up on TV so really depends what your advertising and if your a local business trying to attract local customers. If not then i'd bypass it or see if you can get onto an actual board around the pitch...maybe more costly though.