1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
Have you checked if your business appears in our directory? Add your basic information for FREE!

Click Here to know more!!

If you would like links to source leads, upgrade from £12.50 a month!

Click Here to subscribe!
Dismiss Notice

Hi Guest!

Our website stays online because of the support of our advertisers. A huge part of them are from banner ads that appear on our site. While some of them seems to be intrusive for some, these ads are needed to keep our community running and continue providing free membership service for buyers.

In light to this, we request that you disable ad blocking programs or add our website to your ad blocker's whitelist. This keeps us from offering our basic membership to everyone for free and help with maintenance costs of our website.

If you have already disabled ad blocking programs or added us into the whitelist, please ignore this message, this message will disappear in a few seconds!

Advertising with Yell.com

Discussion in 'Social Media, SEO/SEM & Online Marketing' started by laprepair, May 29, 2012.

1. laprepair

laprepair

I recently got persuaded in joining yell.com. Well I say persuaded, I mean conned.

I was told that they have a proven track record and guarantee me that It is basically a no lose form of advertising.

I paid £450. Paying by Direct Debit.

Its a 12 month contract.

As of now I am yet to recieve one phone call from the yell ad. Im no.1 in search results if you type in laptop repairs in my area.

Now from the start I had a few problems where it took them a few days to get my ad live after the contract started and as of now im still waiting for them to set up a telephone number which replaces my number on the ad and it can tell me how many people have called and how many calls ive missed etc as a way of proving how good it is. I know how many calls ive received, 0. Very rare is nobody by the phone. Even the stats for the clicks is very poor.

Now what my question is, is can I cancel my contract under the grounds that it was mis sold and also by the promises they have made like the number etc???? I never got that in writing.

Any help is much appreciated
  2. chrisbawden

chrisbawden

Hi,

I have had Yell call several times over the couple of years and luckily i never went with them!

Its a hard one for you to cancel the contract, business to business sales are not too well regulated compared to business to consumer.

Have you called them and raised your concerns to see what response they give you.

I think you could still look at small claims court, ie, mis-sold or product not delivered what was promised but this will still be a battle for you also.

Advertising is advertising and no company will ever put in writing that they guarantee sales, traffic etc as they would be lieing to do so.

I hope you get it sorted.

Chris
  3. laprepair

laprepair

I was very naive i think best describes it. well politest :D.

On the credit agreement it states that I can cancel at anytime within 14 days. Im thinking of calling them up and saying I sent a letter in within the 14 days and im still being charged to see if that works.

I have contacted them a couple months back saying that I wanted out and was told its a legally binding contract.

Its utter rubbish and I would seriously warn others that its a waste of time and money
  4. chrisbawden

chrisbawden

You can give it ago, good luck with things. One of the thing i learned very quickly 5 years ago when i started my first business was never deal with cold callers!
  5. AntiHeroUK

AntiHeroUK

I've put up a couple of ads with them and I've had a few calls so far, one of which led somewhere, but so far it's going to be a fair while paying for itself. :D

Is it not possible to tell your bank to not authorise any transactions from them, or did you pay the full amount?
  6. laprepair

laprepair

Yer was thinking of cancelling the DD but though if its legally binding then it wouldnt be in my best interests.

The thing that gets me is its not in the directory just online so there is no reason why they can cancel it, but the very fact that they tie you to a 12 month contract rather than do a rolling one tells me everything. Tells me that they are not confident of the product they offer so screw you over with contracts.
  7. megadanny1

megadanny1

Have had them phone me up several times ,
    the first one trying to sell premium positions on the yell site after i placed a free ad on there (Which i made at least £40 profit from)
    The second time they tried to sell me some google adwords services for £60 a month i decided against going with it as i would rather do PPC on my own terms
    they are very good at selling though, they talk fast and have a pretty good pitch
  8. AntiHeroUK

AntiHeroUK

I would consider getting some legal advice then. It would be interesting to see how they attempt to get the money out of you if you did cancel the direct debit.

I'm actually going to be changing one of the categories they have me listed under as the one I'm on seems to be crap for ranking on searches.
  9. laprepair

laprepair

Exactly how they got me. Thats what I have no.1 postion premium ranking. They tried to sell me google adwords but told them I wasnt interested.
  10. burger

burger

yell=yellow pages have had their day, look at the size of them now they were the size a good encyclopaedia years ago now just a thick pamphlet, the phone book and Thompson local are the same, when they get dropped off i pick them up and straight into the recycling bin.
    My wife signed up a few years ago for her driving instructor business, total waste of time after 2 months no calls,basic website loads of business so cancelled the direct debit as they just fobbed her off trying to cancel, a few threatening letters and never heard any more, nothing was ever in writing, she never signed a contract, luckily was not a credit card debit thing as almost impossible to cancel apparently.
  11. laprepair

laprepair

Im seriously thinking of just cancelling it and seeing what they do. I like a good fight over the phone.
    AntiHeroUK and megadanny1 like this.
  12. AntiHeroUK

AntiHeroUK

To be honest, it should be on a rolling contract, that if you don't see any benefit you can cancel, as they are promoting this to small businesses to help them grow. It's going to be more of a hindrance to the small business that is seeing no calls or contact from the ad and yell are laughing knowing that they have their money tied up.

After another month if I haven't seen any results I shall be removing my direct debit information and seeing how they deal with it, and I'll keep this thread updated :D