1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
Have you checked if your business appears in our directory? Add your basic information for FREE!

Click Here to know more!!

If you would like links to source leads, upgrade from £12.50 a month!

Click Here to subscribe!
Dismiss Notice

Hi Guest!

Our website stays online because of the support of our advertisers. A huge part of them are from banner ads that appear on our site. While some of them seems to be intrusive for some, these ads are needed to keep our community running and continue providing free membership service for buyers.

In light to this, we request that you disable ad blocking programs or add our website to your ad blocker's whitelist. This keeps us from offering our basic membership to everyone for free and help with maintenance costs of our website.

If you have already disabled ad blocking programs or added us into the whitelist, please ignore this message, this message will disappear in a few seconds!

Advice about Social Media Management as a career

Discussion in 'Social Media, SEO/SEM & Online Marketing' started by TekPoint, Oct 25, 2012.

1. TekPoint

TekPoint

Hi everybody!

As the title suggests, I've a few questions about social media management...

I've been undertaking a SMM course (home study with online tutor) recently, mainly as something to fill my time between work and ebay.
    I've always seemed to have a decent knack at working with twitter, but I'm no expert in facebook still.

As an example: I set up a fb page and a twitter page at the same time for my ebay shop. This was a few months ago now. Currently, the twitter account is close to 2k followers, the fb page has 50-odd likes!
    I've also got another twitter account which i set up in February which has over 20k followers.

I've seen on forums and elsewhere that there are many people work as social media managers.

So, I guess what i'm asking is does anyone have any experience either in working in SMM (Freelance) or using a SMM. What does the work involve (from both parties), and ultimately, what kind of money is involved.

Also, i'm wondering if i were to attempt to be a SMM (although right now only managing twitter, until i crack Facebook!) how I would go about aquiring clients. I have a good idea, but any experiences would be a great help.

Thanks all!
  2. eAuction

eAuction

It's not something I'm hugely experienced in but your twitter figures look good. Generally, the way it would work is you would agree a weekly or monthly fee with a company for X amount of time (or updates) put in to the marketing. What's really important is to have a good understanding of what your client does, as if they're having to spoon feed you information, then they may as well be doing it themselves.

To get customers I'd start locally, get talking to some local shops and see what you think you can do for them, or see what they want from their social marketing. Remember, not everyone wants the same from social marketing - some may just want followers, others may want an increase in revenue and others may want brand awareness.

Good luck with it and let us know how it goes. Feel free to ask any questions.
    TekPoint likes this.
  3. Lace

Lace Retired Moderator

An advice I can give is to foster connections with PR agencies. They are approached by different brands seeking for increased online exposure but some agencies have limited digital arms, hence they take Social Media Managers on board. Bloggers who are seen as well-connected on the web are usually approached to handle Facebook and Twitter pages.
    TekPoint likes this.
  4. TekPoint

TekPoint

Thanks for the replies!

I'm thinking that initially I should perhaps approach one or two businesses and offer to manage their twitter for free for 30 days. That way neither party has anything to lose! How does that sound?

I'm fairly sure that if a business wanted to see a change to its bottom line through twitter marketing I could make it happen - my previous business generated exactly 50% of its orders through twitter enquiries (which I was managing).

With regards to blogging; it's not really my thing. I've blogged in the past for others, but i find it too time consuming. Also, i'm guessing that getting to a level in the blogshpere that Lace mentions would take some time.

So, I'm thinking i should try and single out a business or two.
  5. TekPoint

TekPoint

Any more ideas or advice on this would be appreciated.
    thx
  6. WillRoberts

WillRoberts

As with anything in this industry, it's about getting known and having a portfolio to present to future employers for in-house jobs or potential clients.

I'd be more than happy for you to start-up and run one of my businesses social media accounts if that's any use? Will give a testimonial/refer/promote you after that if all goes well?

Let me know :)
    TekPoint likes this.
  7. TekPoint

TekPoint

Hi Will,
    Sounds like a great idea. Exactly what i need! :)

I'll DM you my email address.
  8. alexander_the_great

alexander_the_great

Hows this coming along for you?

I'd be interested in knowing a little more about your experience with SMM