1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
Have you checked if your business appears in our directory? Add your basic information for FREE!

Click Here to know more!!

If you would like links to source leads, upgrade from £12.50 a month!

Click Here to subscribe!
Dismiss Notice

Hi Guest!

Our website stays online because of the support of our advertisers. A huge part of them are from banner ads that appear on our site. While some of them seems to be intrusive for some, these ads are needed to keep our community running and continue providing free membership service for buyers.

In light to this, we request that you disable ad blocking programs or add our website to your ad blocker's whitelist. This keeps us from offering our basic membership to everyone for free and help with maintenance costs of our website.

If you have already disabled ad blocking programs or added us into the whitelist, please ignore this message, this message will disappear in a few seconds!

Alibaba Gold Member Scam

Discussion in 'Bad Supplier Experiences' started by robbobb, Jul 29, 2007.

1. PGowdy

PGowdy

GOODLUCKGUANGZHOU OFFICE STATIONARY CO Scammed me for $400. Never ever do business with these thieving c***s.
  2. swanseaone

swanseaone

I do not use Western-Union full stop.
  3. PGowdy

PGowdy

No one should. That's how i got scammed by GOODLUCKGUANGZHOU OFFICE STATIONARY CO I'd never used them before so I had no idea they had no user protection. In this day and age! Shocking!I always use paypal but the guy said they don't have paypal and talked me into using western union. Even the guy at Western Union i spoke to suggested i should use paypal. That's how rubbish they are!
  4. Dean

Dean

I've used Western Union with no problems many times in the past. There is nothing wrong with it, the problem is people sending money to other people they don't know. You may as well go and give your cash to a stranger down the pub!

It's all about research and due diligence. Check out the people you are paying and if you don't trust them 100% then use Paypal or walk away. Anything else and you've only got yourself to blame. No point in blaming WU, they didn't force you to use them. In fact the guy gave you a friendly warning which you chose to ignore!!
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2014
  5. PGowdy

PGowdy

No one gave me a friendly warning actually. That's something you've made up.

I admit i should have done my research on western union. I just think it's shocking not to offer any kind of protection to users in this day and age.
    Whether i trusted the company or not i would never use western union again. You never know what may go wrong so always best going with paypal or another company that offer reasonable protection.
  6. Dean

Dean

You said the WU guy told to you to use Paypal instead! You couldn't have had a better get out!!

Yes and you should have done your research on the supplier too.

You best complain about all the high street banks as well then. Using a bank transfer is no safer than Western Union!!
    Import Expert likes this.
  7. PGowdy

PGowdy

1. Yes, Western Union told me i should use paypal when transferring money to anyone other than friends and family after the incident.
    2. I did research on the company. Always do. I spend 1000s a month with suppliers on alibaba and nothing like this has ever happened to me before. I'm usually super careful. Just got unlucky. It happens.
    3. My bank offers fraud protection. I can not answer for yours. But either way it's not relevant. Finding other examples of companies that should offer protection and don't proves no point whatsoever. When did i ever mention making a bank transfer?? Seriously, you're coming across as a bit stupid here. Not to mention someone who just likes to be a nob for being a nob's sake.

Anyway, i was only posting the details of my experience to warn others so that the same thing won't happen to them. There's really no call to be a ****. Every single thing i've said has been true and considered and only said to help others. Conversely every single thing you've said has been wrong (bit embarrassing) or just plaint irrelevant and born out of jumping to conclusions. SOmething you should probably learn not to do as a moderator.

I don't want others to make the same mistakes as i did and/or end up dealing with a company that ripped me off so i thought i'd post here and maybe help prevent it happening to someone else. And here's me thinking that was the right thing to do. I won't bother next time.

(Jeez, seriously, how did this guy become a moderator???)
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2014
  8. Dean

Dean

The reason I mentioned a bank transfer was because you said you can't believe there is no protection in this day and age. Take a bank transfer, which is no different to a WU transfer - I guarantee you that if you transfer money to someone from your bank, you will not get it back. You get no more protection than with WU.

Don't believe me? Transfer some money to a friend and then go and ask your bank to get it back. The bank can't get it back for you, they can't reverse transfers.

You were giving advice for others - so was I. As I said I've used WU to pay suppliers in China many times and never had a problem. The payment method is not a problem - it's when you choose to use it that is.

And cut out the personal insults, there's no need for it. This is a discussion, people don't always agree. If you can't conduct it without resorting to name calling then don't post at all.
  9. SimonN

SimonN

Is there any kind of report feature on Alibaba, where you can complain about unscrupulous companies selling on there?
  10. PGowdy

PGowdy

Yeah, that's fine. It was just being said as if to negate anything i said. Which it didn't. It was barely relevant. Just another example. Everything i said was fair and true.
    'You might get ripped off via a bank transfer too' …ok.
    Still think an online money transferring system should offer payment protection in this climate. It should also be made clearer that they don't. I didm't realise and that was an error on my part and it cost me money. My post was designed to warn others so that they might not make the same mistake. (fair??) But by all means tell them about banks too. Mine offers fraud protection but yours may not so i guess that's something to know. Not relevant to my issue but something to know non the less.
  11. PGowdy

PGowdy

There is but i really don't think it's much use. I filed a report about this company (the one mentioned in my earlier posts) and one other a few months back that sent me a different item than advertised and then refused to refund me unless i shipped them back at at my expense. Almost the same cost as i originally paid (well over $2000). That time i used paypal and they refunded me in full.
    Neither time did i hear back from alibaba.
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2014
  12. Dean

Dean

Perhaps not relevant to the original discussion, but that fraud protection your bank offers will not cover a bank transfer that you have knowingly sent yourself (i.e. if the supplier you just paid by that bank transfer sends you no goods, your bank will not help you). This is the point I was making in comparison to WU. In this day and age, bank transfers are very widely used, more so than WU, but the bank transfers come with no more protection than WU payments. I was pointing out that WU is not unique in not offering any payment protection.
  13. Import Expert

Import Expert

What a ridiculous thing to say.
    Dave likes this.
  14. Dean

Dean

15. Chris Johnson

Chris Johnson

Guys, just use escrow service of Alibaba and you will avoid scammers forever ! If they are legitimate - they will accept the escrow. I can't believe how this scammers continue to scam people. If you are serious obout importing from China i will suggest you to go there in person and meet the supplier.
  16. Boris1

Boris1

CEM ROULETTE.COM, run by Cem Aygun operates as a free member on Alibaba.com. I foolishly agreed a purchase of roulette wheels. The terms were 30% deposit and 70% upon receipt of bill of lading. As soon as I'd sent the 30% deposit and sent them the details of my freight forwarder Mr Cem Aygun demanded that I pay the whole 100% before he would ship the goods. I immediately asked for a refund and he refused and became abusive and I reported him to the police. DO NOT DEAL WITH CEM AYGUN INDUSTRIAL or CEM ROULETTE it is a SCAM and will steal your money. I don't want it to happen to others. We have proof of our bank transfer to CEM AYGUN should anyone require proof.
  17. Leo at Deliveringchina

Leo at Deliveringchina

Sorry to hear about your loss, one thing we usually do when sourcing on the spot is demanding the contact information of their previous customers to ask for references, this is not always possible, but for a larger order the supplier usually agrees to hand out a few names and numbers