1. Speak to our customer support team live today
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Thanks for visiting The Wholesale Forums! Register for FREE today and gain access to more information. Sign up with Facebook, Twitter, or Google.

News Another Amazon working conditions exposé revealed

Discussion in 'Business News & Resources' started by Cody, Dec 4, 2017.

1. Cody

Cody

A Manchester night shift worker at Amazon's fulfilment centre near Altrincham has revealed his 10-and-a-half-hour gruelling packing and shipping shifts.

Neil Drinkwater has spoken about his experience working at an Amazon centre, following the most recent news story regarding an undercover report at an Amazon fulfilment centre in Tilbury.

Despite earning on average £8.20 an hour, with up to 55 hours a week, some may say this is a fair hourly wage, the likes of which some retailers don't even pay their staff. However, with the excessive workload, timed toilet breaks and unrealistic targets set, one would may agree with these warehouse workers that this is too much stress to handle. On the other-hand one may say that hard work is the part and parcel of an everyday warehouse job...

In a bid to try and boost morale of the staff at the Altrincham fulfilment centre, which just mysteriously began out of the blue, managers would turn up with a box of chocolate Celebrations to hand out to their exhausted staff at the start of their shift.

Mr Drinkwater said: "Then they did the same at the second part of the shift. Me and my colleagues were saying this was down to the Sunday Mirror. We all thought it was an insult."

Following the undercover report by the Sunday Mirror, and after three years working for Amazon, Neil handed in his resignation, stating that after the first four days working there he was "dead on my feet. I honestly believe they exploit people's necessity, their need for money. They feed off that."

Amazon's response into the recent findings:

Amazon provides a safe and positive workplace for thousands of people across the UK with competitive pay and benefits from day one.

We are committed to treating every one of our associates with dignity and respect. We don’t recognize these allegations as an accurate portrayal of activities in our buildings.

As with nearly all companies, we expect a certain level of performance from our associates and we continue to set productivity targets objectively, based on previous performance levels achieved by our workforce.

Associate performance is measured and evaluated over a long period of time as we know that a variety of things could impact the ability to meet expectations in any given day or hour.

We support people who are not performing to the levels expected with dedicated coaching to help them improve.

Associates are allowed to use the toilet whenever needed. We do not monitor toilet breaks.

Amazon has a range of initiatives to support our people if they become ill at home or work.

As well as private medical insurance that is available to all permanent employees, there is on-site occupational health and physiotherapy support, and our Employee Assistance Programme supports people with independent, confidential legal and financial guidance, as well as practical and workplace advice. We have first aid rooms in all of our sites and people are not treated in our canteens.

In the US, as with any workplace, all our sites include medical kits available to employees which includes aspirin, ibuprofen, plasters, etc.

Would you say that these conditions are far from what you'd expect for a warehouse position, or are Amazon actually exploiting their staff?
  2. Pembroke

Pembroke

So let me get this straight, the guy was dead on his feet after 4 days working at Amazon but it took him 3 years and a newspaper expose for him to say anything. Seems like another one jumping on the ooh Amazon are bad, they must be slave drivers bandwagon.

Sorry if I sound arrogant, and I'm sure there will be comments about 'poor guy it was the only job he could do' but seriously why did it take so long. Did he start looking for another job after the four days he was 'dead on his feet', if not why not. It's not as if there's no other jobs available in the country, and with freedom of movement he could work anywhere in the EU without too much hassle but he chose to stay put.