1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
Have you checked if your business appears in our directory? Add your basic information for FREE!

Click Here to know more!!

If you would like links to source leads, upgrade from £12.50 a month!

Click Here to subscribe!
Dismiss Notice

Hi Guest!

Our website stays online because of the support of our advertisers. A huge part of them are from banner ads that appear on our site. While some of them seems to be intrusive for some, these ads are needed to keep our community running and continue providing free membership service for buyers.

In light to this, we request that you disable ad blocking programs or add our website to your ad blocker's whitelist. This keeps us from offering our basic membership to everyone for free and help with maintenance costs of our website.

If you have already disabled ad blocking programs or added us into the whitelist, please ignore this message, this message will disappear in a few seconds!

Any experience with YourOwnStore.co.uk?

Discussion in 'E-Commerce and Online Selling' started by bmelectrics, Nov 30, 2011.

1. bmelectrics

bmelectrics

Hi Has anyone had any experience with "Your Own Store" Web business. It is quite expensive, but would like to know if is it just a wast of money.

Bryan
  2. super_touring

super_touring

How much!!!! Did not look at exactly what they are offering but there are plenty on here who can offer same/more for much much less.

Interesting to see the "SOLD" signs on some of those, I wonder how many are legitimately sold and how many are there for effect.

Now looked at it, it is an Affiliate Web Store so you actually do not sell anything just act as link to someone else who gets comission. Estimated earnings for a jigsaw store £30k+! Where did they get those figures from?

Looks like a total con to me as a francisee you will be paying commision for ever and only they will make the money.
  3. super_touring

super_touring

Just looked and one of the "Just Sold" sites, www.justspeakers.co.uk.

Interesting to see that the registrant on Nominet (same contact address as the main Your Own Store site) only registered it on 11th of this month. If this is a domain he is selling I would have expected it be have been registered some time ago so it was specifically reserved for the purpose of this francise opportunity.

This further makes me think that the "SOLD" logos are not legit and in fact it is a make money quick scam for the franchisor.
  4. super_touring

super_touring

From the FAQ:
    How is the price of the Website Calculated?
    Each Website is priced according to the potential annual earnings it could achieve.
    The annual earnings are always underestimated and are based on getting just 250 visitors to the store every day.

We know approximately 50 of the visitors will go away without clicking through to a retailer so that leaves 200. We then take 200 x the Average EPC (Earning Per Click) for the retailers in the store which gives us an estimated daily earnings figure.

All niches we have stores in have the potential for considerably more than 250 visitors per day, we have had stores reach 1,000+ per day!

This sounds very very optimistic to me. But I am no expert in this area.
  5. bmelectrics

bmelectrics

Many thanks Dai for your imput, I think it is far to risky so i won't be taking it any further.
  6. Pete

Pete

I can really give you your own store.........
  7. JamesDaniels81

JamesDaniels81

I bought a website off YourOwnStore. Buying a store from them is more expensive than say, setting up my own Wordpress blog with one of the affiliate plugins, but I haven't got the time to do that!! In the first instance, they provide the site with relevant products which updates regularly. The only "issue" is that the website is pretty bare bones in terms of content, but then it is quite clear in the video I watched that the SEO work is up to me. I have been emailed two bits of software which I have yet to use, which I think submit articles/links back. I have looked in the Training area though and it is really good - videos on everything, so it certainly isnt a "scam"!!!

Support has been satisfactory - although I did submit a support issue which was answered within 4 minutes, so I was pleased with that.

I can see why they come up with those Annual earnings based on the data from the EPC that the retailers provide - I would be happy to earn a tenth of that!!! For all purposes, it is a "true" figure, however it very much does rely on the traffic that you get being quality. If I get 250 visitors a day of poor quality, then I wouldn't make any sales - so that should be made clearer - so I have work to do, but I'm doing OK at the moment and I've had my store for 5 months.

Regarding the domain, I have control of my domain as it is in my domain name account - although it is still registered to the original owner - I can either pay £12 with Nominet to re-supply my own details, however, I can do this for free when it expires so not so bothered about this. I have found a similar issue with some of my personal domains on GODaddy registrant - can change .com but not .co.uk!!
  8. bmelectrics

bmelectrics

Thanks James,
    Can you tell me if after 5 months you are glad you bought the business and if you are getting any real income from it yet?
    There seem to be much cheaper affiliate website business for sale out there.

Bryan
  9. JamesDaniels81

JamesDaniels81

Hi,

I don't regret buying it no - the income I have made was poor at first - however how am getting about £300 a month - but it's going up. Not as predicted but good enough for me for now. Would never recommend anyone would quit their job based on the recommended earnings put it that way.

The one plus for me is having a customer forum where I can get motivated again. I think if I was on my own, I'd have forgot all about it now.
  10. bmelectrics

bmelectrics

I
    I have been told you will have to spend a lot of money on marketing, have you found this to be the case?

Bryan
  11. JamesDaniels81

JamesDaniels81

I haven't spent anything extra - barring the outsourcing of articles for my categories, which I really haven't had time to do myself. They do offer an SEO service as well but not gone for that as I think I can do that. Weirdly I was browsing today and found another site called YBIS.co.uk online - these guys seem to have ripped off the layout from Your Own Store just a bit. No idea if its related.
  12. bmelectrics

bmelectrics

um I see what you mean, it's very similar indeed, have you ever looked into any of the cheaper offerings out there, many of which are only a few hundred pounds. I'm not sure if there is a massive difference, although I doubt they have great support group. Im really keen on an affiliate site but am very weary spending over £3000 if there is something very similar for considerably cheaper.

Bryan
  13. JamesDaniels81

JamesDaniels81

I called YourOwnStore - they've never heard of YBIS but looks a bit tacky and a certain rip-off!

If you're wary, don't do it Bryan - definitely if you have found something cheaper elsewhere then go for that. But, for me, I am actually pretty pleased with what I have got. What I liked was the fact I didn't have to do any programming and it literally was ready to go. I didn't do an amazing amount of research - but I have used Wordpress before, for example, with various plugins, and I have found the plugins tend to either break without explanation!

I think the carrot dangling that Your Own Store do lured me in - but the income I'm getting at the moment I'm pleased with - and my visits are currently sitting at 150 a day, still 100 of their "target" mind.
  14. Import Expert

Import Expert

Hi BM, You really could save yourself some money by at least seeing what Pete can offer you.
  15. boltonsimon

boltonsimon

Hi James, I have looked into your own store and wasnt that impressed. Hope you dont think i am being rude but how much did you pay for your store.
    Regards
    Simon
  16. bmelectrics

bmelectrics

Thanks Darren, I have emailed Pete,s company for more information. Your own site looks very good.
  17. JamesDaniels81

JamesDaniels81

That's fair enough Simon - I paid £3290.
  18. boltonsimon

boltonsimon

Thanks James, just reading my post back i did not mean your store, just sceptical about the franchise model, longjevity for return you know. Although its good to hear you are positve about it so you probably know something i dont.

Anyway Best Of luck, cheers for the reply

Regards

Simon
  19. Ruzky

Ruzky

Hi James,

Interesting posts re YOS. I am currently consider buying one of their stores but actually notice all their sites ********************** and ************************** are currently offline along with all their affiliate 'sold' websites. Ouch, that's scary.

So what site is yours and has it been hard to get the number of visitors up to 150 a day as I think that's impressive going.

Interesting comments from BoltonSimon, but I cannot see you mentioning your domain name earlier in the posts, so how is he commenting on your site or YBIS.

BTW James, did you register for VAT to reclaim it back from the purchase price of the store from YOS ?

Regards

Ruzky
  20. Mixture

Mixture

What is it you offer Pete?