Avoiding possible import problems

Discussion in 'Legal, Insurance, Employment and Health & Safety' started by ertoos, May 26, 2018.

1. ertoos

ertoos

Hello, I am new importer and made my first orders last month. Unfortunately I was told that branded products can get me with trouble, after a placed a few orders. The shipment is travelling to the UK with a courier, I already contacted the seller even before he shipped the order to cancel it but he wasn't very helpful and just sent it. My question is is there anyway i can cancel the import so I don't have any problems. If no, what are the potential risks and is there any way I don't break any law after the shipment is already travelling? Will be very thankful for any advice.
  2. Wholesale Sportswear

Wholesale Sportswear

Import Expert likes this.
  3. Import Expert

Import Expert

Hi ertoos,

Certainly branded products are an issue if you don't hold the appropriate licences. Trading Standards are the body that police this. I have seen a number of shipments seized in the past. As a general rule, any branded products you order from China will also be fakes (or 'replicas') so additionally you could face some recourse from your customers if they believe they are buying the real deal.

As to this shipment, there is not a lot you can really do (although if anything does happen you have some correspondence at least to show that you asked them to cancel the order).
Tags: