1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
Have you checked if your business appears in our directory? Add your basic information for FREE!

Click Here to know more!!

If you would like links to source leads, upgrade from £12.50 a month!

Click Here to subscribe!
Dismiss Notice

Hi Guest!

Our website stays online because of the support of our advertisers. A huge part of them are from banner ads that appear on our site. While some of them seems to be intrusive for some, these ads are needed to keep our community running and continue providing free membership service for buyers.

In light to this, we request that you disable ad blocking programs or add our website to your ad blocker's whitelist. This keeps us from offering our basic membership to everyone for free and help with maintenance costs of our website.

If you have already disabled ad blocking programs or added us into the whitelist, please ignore this message, this message will disappear in a few seconds!

Awaiting Customs Clearance. How long usually?

Discussion in 'Logistics - Payment & Shipping' started by goji, Apr 14, 2011.

1. goji

goji

Hey,

I've just ordered 8kg of herbal powders and whatnot from China.

All went smoothly, but the items have been in the International Hub awaiting Customs clearance for 4 days now. Is this a usual thing?

11-04-2011 22:18 International Hub Awaiting Customs clearance

11-04-2011 12:kiss:3 Heathrow Airport Received in destination country
    08-04-2011 18:59 Delivery Agent - SHANGHAI - PTT Forwarded for export

When is the best time to probably start getting concerned? I've used EMS-Parcelforce 24. I'm figuring because it's powders, it may be the reason it's taking a little longer.
  2. coreen

coreen

"I'm figuring because it's powders, it may be the reason it's taking a little longer."

Hi.,

My thoughts also !

Colin
    :\
  3. energyking

energyking

Customs clearance can take a while anyway. But as it is powder they will probably want to check it, to make sure it doesn't contain anything it shouldn't
  4. goji

goji

Thank you Adam :) Yeah I guess being in my niche I am susceptible to delays like these. When usually is the time to possibly query? A week or so after awaiting customs clearance? Thanks again
  5. energyking

energyking

I have known customs to take up to a week with some imports. If you haven't heard anything within 7+ days then I would probably just give parcelforce a call to ask for an update.
  6. goji

goji

Again, thank you :)
  7. goji

goji

Still hasn't arrived. Have had the same International Hub-Awaiting Customs clearance status for one week now. I rang up both parcelforce and customs and they said there wasn't a whole lot they could do at this present moment. Didn't ever think EMS would be this slow!
  8. craigc

craigc

Is this your first import? Seems a long time but as others have suggested it could well have something to do with the powders.

Personally I find EMS one of the slowest, granted it's usually the cheapest option but for service and reliability I can't fault UPS or DHL and am always happy to pay more for them.
  9. goji

goji

Yeah it is my first in this particular niche. Have used EMS in the past for different products and received within a week. I rang up customs and they said awaiting customs clearance means it's still in the back log and hasn't even come to the evaluation stage of how much I will need to pay etc.

Thanks for the input. Will use UPS or DHL in the future I think. I heard TNT is better than EMS, so maybe that'll be an option. The only plus point out of this is the fact that my business isn't up and running yet, and subsequently I don't have customers waiting for the products.
  10. craigc

craigc

Well that's good news that there isn't any major problems, just have to sit tight for now.

Yeah I'd definitely recommend UPS or DHL. I usually have goods within 4 days with UPS but bear in mind you will need to pay C.O.D (Cash On Delivery) for the import duty / VAT once the goods arrive with you (they accept cash or cheque) whereas with DHL they will invoice you at a later date.

To be honest I prefer paying straight away so I tend to favour UPS as it means you can factor in the cost of import duty and VAT the day you receive your goods allowing you to work out your exact profit there and then.
  11. goji

goji

Just found out that my supplier did not include the invoice in the package. Arghhhh!!! This is the reason why is held up, for sure. I've rang up both parcelforce and HMRC and both cannot give any updates.

There now may be a chance that I'll never receive my package, which is a catastrophe! £360.00 down the drain!!!

Is there absolutely anything I can do?
  12. bern73

bern73 Banned Member

ask customs if you can fax them copy of the invoice. for a missing invoice you wont lose a whole package :) talk to customs. :cool: