Backlink Audit - What's your experience/results been like using google disavow?

Discussion in 'Social Media, SEO/SEM & Online Marketing' started by liamhawes, Mar 5, 2019.

1. liamhawes

liamhawes

I've just done my first major backlink audit for one of my sites, making use of the google disavow tool to attempt to get them to ignore as many 'negative' backlinks as possible.

Has anyone else used this tool before, if so, how did you find the results? I hear it can take around 6 months if not longer to take hold and notice any changes.

If you haven't used it but are interested in sorting out your own backlink profile, maybe people could discuss it here.

One of the things that worried me was all the weird anchor text I could see, I would like to think google knows well enough to ignore all of these anyway, but some of it is pretty terrible.

Please note: anyone considering using the disavow tool should read up on the potential negative consequences of using it.
  2. DigitalSheppard

DigitalSheppard

The last time I conducted a disavow was back in 2015 and I experienced some great results.

These days though, personal opinion, I think Google is smart enough to largely ignore poor quality backlinks. Admittedly, if the entire profile was rubbish then I might adopt a 'scorched earth' policy but otherwise I'd focus on building new quality, relevant links.