1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
Have you checked if your business appears in our directory? Add your basic information for FREE!

Click Here to know more!!

If you would like links to source leads, upgrade from £12.50 a month!

Click Here to subscribe!
Dismiss Notice

Hi Guest!

Our website stays online because of the support of our advertisers. A huge part of them are from banner ads that appear on our site. While some of them seems to be intrusive for some, these ads are needed to keep our community running and continue providing free membership service for buyers.

In light to this, we request that you disable ad blocking programs or add our website to your ad blocker's whitelist. This keeps us from offering our basic membership to everyone for free and help with maintenance costs of our website.

If you have already disabled ad blocking programs or added us into the whitelist, please ignore this message, this message will disappear in a few seconds!

Banned off eBay after 4 hours

Discussion in 'Online Marketplaces - eBay, Amazon, Etsy and more' started by Yvonne Henderson, Dec 30, 2018.

1. Yvonne Henderson

Yvonne Henderson

Is that a record? On Christmas day I joined eBay to sell some of my paintings I opened a personal account and advertised one of my unique paintings just of a river nothing brilliant but I thought I might be able to make some money selling my art.
    When I did a search for my painting I could not find it anywhere. After several hours of searching and it never appeared I thought maybe it's because I needed a business account so I changed my account from personal to business.
    In this time I saw that I've made an error with my PayPal account address so I corrected it.

Later on I noticed I got an email saying my listings and been reduced to just 10 a month which I expected anyway being a new user. I then I got an email saying eBay account been suspended due to "serious security concerns"

I then rang eBay saying my account have been suspended and the very first question they asked was "we see that you have got a painting listed what is the source of your painting" when I said I painted it myself he said he needs to speak to a supervisor.
    He then came back and says my account is suspended nothing I can do about it it's indefinite do not try to make another account or that will be suspended too, nothing they can do then an abrupt goodbye.
    He was very abrupt and told me not to make any more accounts. My painting was totally unique it's not a copy and even if it was a copy surely they should say it's an infringement copyright etc. There are loads of paintings of for example Freddie Mercury which I'd say could infringe copyright? But mine was just a painting of a river in a town?
    Was it because I changed my email PayPal email address between moving from personal to business?
    They said they could not discuss why I had been banned as it could put fellow eBay users at risk??

I'm totally confused and banned from eBay for absolutely nothing what I can see? Can anyone enlighten me? Can I open a eBay account with another email address?
    Anyone else had this issue?
  2. Yvonne Henderson

Yvonne Henderson

Subject should have read banned off eBay after 4 hours... is that a record.
  3. Jed

Jed

"Can I open a eBay account with another email address?" As they say, no, if you open any more accounts you'll only dig yourself into a deeper hole.

I'd call them again and ask to speak to a manager regarding the matter as I'm pretty sure they've done it because you quickly changed your details nothing to do with the painting.

And just so you know, searching for the item in the first 24 hours may yield no results because 1. as a new seller listings often get reviewed and 2. even an experienced seller has to wait while the listing is processed in the eBay system.

Good luck.
  4. Yvonne Henderson

Yvonne Henderson

Okay, I'll ring them back, thank you for your reply, it's put me off a little bit off eBay as they made of del like a criminal.

5. Jed

Jed

Well the issue is they're an authority on to their own. Seeing as it's their platform they can do what they like (within local laws) unfortunately.

So you basically need to talk nice and convince someone there to let you back on, if you want to use eBay in the future that is.
    Yvonne Henderson likes this.
  6. Yvonne Henderson

Yvonne Henderson

Just a follow up.. I rang eBay back and they basically told me due to me ringing then previously that was classed as appealing my case, so due to that previous call the case is closed nothing I can do. I sell on other platforms so it's no massive loss, just curious to why, which they wouldn't answer. I asked to speak to a manager but they said no because case was closed, but more probably one was not available due to call centre being someone's house as I could hear kids running about and screaming while I was trying to get answers. Anyway in short no joy but I sell on Amazon and other platforms anyway. Could not find anywhere I could complain to either.
  7. Jed

Jed

That really sucks, but unfortunately doesn't surprise me much with eBay.

Have you looked at Etsy?
  8. Yvonne Henderson

Yvonne Henderson

Yes I sell on various platforms including etsy for some home made things, and it's no biggie not being on eBay, I just would have liked to have know why? I'm not bitter, I'll just make it my life long quest to bad mouth them in future
    Thank you for your input.
  9. meenas

meenas

Thats a real shame. I would suggest just using a friend or a relatives account to list. No harm done to them. Dont change any details including addresses and Paypal and when you make the sale, they can simply transfer the money to you.
  10. liamhawes

liamhawes

I would try sending a very detailed email with all the information about the issue to ebay's investor relations department.

This is something that this department may take a lot more seriously. Losing sellers before they even get started, and for doing nothing wrong really, when they're already worried about losing out to Amazon etc.
    Jed likes this.
  11. Yvonne Henderson

Yvonne Henderson

Could not find anywhere to write/complain to, they have lost me to Amazon
  12. liamhawes

liamhawes

Yvonne Henderson likes this.
  13. Yvonne Henderson

Yvonne Henderson

14. liamhawes

liamhawes

No problem, let me know if you manage to get anywhere with it.