1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
Have you checked if your business appears in our directory? Add your basic information for FREE!

Click Here to know more!!

If you would like links to source leads, upgrade from £12.50 a month!

Click Here to subscribe!
Dismiss Notice

Hi Guest!

Our website stays online because of the support of our advertisers. A huge part of them are from banner ads that appear on our site. While some of them seems to be intrusive for some, these ads are needed to keep our community running and continue providing free membership service for buyers.

In light to this, we request that you disable ad blocking programs or add our website to your ad blocker's whitelist. This keeps us from offering our basic membership to everyone for free and help with maintenance costs of our website.

If you have already disabled ad blocking programs or added us into the whitelist, please ignore this message, this message will disappear in a few seconds!

Barcode scanner for stock control

Discussion in 'Online Marketplaces - eBay, Amazon, Etsy and more' started by camills, Feb 21, 2015.

1. camills

camills

Hi guys

My stock is growing and I need to start thinking of a new way of organising it. It is also becoming very hard to stop take them to keep on top of how many of each item I have as at the moment all the control I do is manual.

So I was thinking if anyone has used a barcode scanner for stock control and whether they can recommend any stock control software that integrates with a barcode scanner easy to work with and that is Mac compatible.

Thanks for any comments
  2. Icclebits

Icclebits

Would you not be better off using a program like linnworks for this?
    I will probably use it in the future when I cannot cope, I am at a similar place as you where it is becoming difficult.
  3. psxgamer

psxgamer

Do you have a website? You can perfectly use this for stock control. You put the right stock for each product. Once it's sold the stock is automatically updated. Most shopping carts nowadays integrate with Ebay/Amazon.
  4. Dean

Dean

Icclebits likes this.
  5. Icclebits

Icclebits

It was you that recommended Linnworks to me Dean, Will need something like this in the future so is on the to do list!
  6. camills

camills

Thanks for the replies guys, Linnworks is a bit expensive for where I am at the moment.
    I was looking for something a bit more basic and cheaper to get things started just that I can improve the workflow and organisation.

Psgamer, I dont have a website yet....just amazon and ebay. But a website is one of my goals this year....
  7. psxgamer

psxgamer

If you seek for a cheap solution: opencart. It comes with Openbay pro. With this you can link you website with Ebay/Amazon. Though for Openbay you pay a monthly subscription. In my experience Openbay only works fine if you use good till cancelled listings. Never done so don't know how it works but with Openbay you can import all you Ebaylistings into you website. Should save you some time to write out descriptions.
    camills likes this.
  8. SimonN

SimonN

Linnworks isn't Mac compatible anyway.

I'm not sure how you manually organise your stock but I use an IOS app called StockControl. It's not ideal but it's a lot easier than using a spreadsheet.
    camills likes this.
  9. camills

camills

This looks exactly what I am looking for at the moment. Thank you Simon.

Please can you tell me whether you use a barcode scanner with the app?

This is very exciting...:)
    SimonN likes this.
  10. SimonN

SimonN

No I don't use a scanner - most of my products don't have a barcode. StockControl has also recently become available on OSX, I haven't tried it on the Mac though.
    camills likes this.
  11. camills

camills

Hi guys, just wanted to update this....

After much research and trialling different softwares, I decided to go for a software called Inventoria by a company called NCH Software.

It cost me £69.99 for a bundle of software (for sale on Amazon), which includes inventory management, point of sale, invoices and accounting. It is Mac compatible and does not have a monthly fee. It does not integrate with ebay/ amazon. Whilst this would have been a nice feature, it is not essential at the moment for me.

What it seems to do well is store all the information about your stock and generate purchase and sale orders pretty easily. It also seems to give you pretty comprehensive reports about what your best sellers are, monthly sales, etc.
    It links with a bar code scanner which and the point of sale links in with the inventory management part of the software which is a great feature.
    So, my plan is to have all of my items stored in the inventory management and use point of sale for all the items we have to pack by scanning the products as they are sold.
    Lastly, it has a feature that alerts you when you are running out of stock and need to replenish.

Hope this helps someone...... thank you for all your suggestions and replies....:)
  12. repislike

repislike

If anyone is looking for something similar , veeqo offers stock control software with a Bar code scanner, order, Shipping ,Inventory management software all in one.
  13. camills

camills

I looked at Veeqo but the prices put me off (didnt want to engange on a monthly expense if I can help it). But that's just me....
  14. repislike

repislike

No problem, Veeqo works best if you process enough orders to justify the expense.
    A software as a one stop shop for order,inventory/Stock,shipping & purchase order
    I hope the product you purchased has worked for you.
    camills likes this.
  15. jo.ann

jo.ann

hello everyone, I would like to come back to the topic.
    There is a lot of information about the software. but what about this barcode scanner, can anyone recommend something?

I am looking for something at a reasonable price. I was looking at ***********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************. but it's probably a little known brand, do you know?
    I've heard that ZEBRA is a good brand but it's quite expensive equipment.
    And what are you using?
  16. jo.ann

jo.ann

There was no link to the previous post. I looked at the HDWR barcode scanner, they have a few cheap models on eBay
  17. Jed

Jed

Quoting to show link for you.
  18. jo.ann

jo.ann

Thank you Jed ;)
  19. zoomin

zoomin

Thank you so much