1. Speak to our customer support team live today
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Thanks for visiting The Wholesale Forums! Register for FREE today and gain access to more information. Sign up with Facebook, Twitter, or Google.

Basic Due Diligence Steps for Sourcing Products from Abroad!

Discussion in 'Supplier Discussion' started by tantk, Jul 14, 2006.

1. theimporter

theimporter

Couple of things I would like to add:

(1) Just because someone uses a free email account (gmail etc) that does not mean they are not a bonafide vendor, I deal with a lot of factories not wholesalers or agents but factories, big ones at that, guess what alot of the key staff use free email servers because they are more likley to get the email on time and be able to access it where ever they are etc, if you have used the net in china you will understand why they use free email, it is reliable!

(2) If a chinese vendor wants to rip you off then all the checks and counter checks in the world will not help you, most sting artists will entice people by making sure they seem like the best vendor in the planet until your orders become sizable and you start trusting them, then bang, out of no where you have lost a considerable amount of money.

(3) Having people on the ground is key so that the vendor knows if they mess about people in their own country will come looking for them etc I dont think many would break sweat having read heated emails or getting calls from abroad, funny how all of a sudden they may not be able to understand you.

International trade is fill of risk and reward, you can check and check and check but if the person on the other side has evil intent then nothing can stop them from conning you.

Take everything with a pinch of salt, use secure payment methods where you can and have faith in god!

Alternativley let my staff in HK and China help you export, we are UK based so no need for international calls and staying up all night to email for answers.

Best Regards

Khalid
    Maria Teixeira likes this.
  2. jaybyrd

jaybyrd

Thanks for the information
  3. Businessinchina

Businessinchina

An on-site Auditing &Inspection and A pre-shipment QC inspection before delivery is very necessary if your order is large enough in China!
  4. esung

esung

Freeze Dried Food Looking for Partner in Europe

As peoples' living standard geting higher and higher, high qulity and safe food has becamse more and more popular. Freeze dried food as a new comer, has wined customers since some 40years ago.
  5. Aaron Chiang

Aaron Chiang

Thank you so much!!! These information is really helpful to me.
  6. 2clixx

2clixx

Thanks for the advice, useful stuff
  7. sweilem

sweilem

Re: Basic Due Deligence steps for Sourcing Products from Abroad !

my advice to anyone is to go in person always, believe me i have been to some places that even in person they will cheat u, you order something and at night they change the merchandise with rejected ones, im talking about garments here, like body building, no pain no gain, same with business i think.
    i would love to share my tips with you guys, but got to run now...
  8. mychinapal

mychinapal

Try to say you will pay by Escrow only as it is the first time, scammers hate escrow payment. Chances are more to find out potential issues by some more phone calls and some more questions if scammer are under "escrow" pressure. It is nothing wrong to ask for escrow payment as both side need some more time to build trust.

It is indeed very important to do these checks. Just put a note, it is true many china factories haven't a clue why they need a company email, and many factories change the factory address too without changing the registered information, so they are not neccesserilly bad guys if some of the checks looks not good.
  9. Businessinchina

Businessinchina

The best way is to book our Basic Verification, Factory Auditing service or Quality Control Inspection service from us to protect your interests in China. We are working for foreign companies in China every day and we are a VIP member at Ministry of Commerce, the People's Republic of China, please have a look at www.bizinchina.cc

We are simply acting as your own Office, assistants and eyes etc and our mission is to save you more and reduce the risks in your business in China!

MSN: [email protected]
  10. jitverify.com

jitverify.com

Yes, try to say you will use a QC to check the products before you pay, just say how they responde.
    We protect the interests of Western companies by providing a full range of high quality verifications of claims by Chinese companies.
  11. chloe5

chloe5

Re: Basic Due Diligence Steps

Thanks for the tips. I have been trying to do basic due diligence, and have some familiarity but still wonder how much more I could have done by way of due diligence.

We just ordered a package of lutein, lycopene, and beta-carotene, 95% HPLC from China.

We were assured by email it would come with UPS documentation, contained within 1g packages, marked with the weight and substance eg lutein 1g

We drew a description of the marking we required on request.

We have received the shipment and there is no documentation, there is no marking on the packages.

We paid for this through paypal. It can't possibly be re-sold as is.

I am going to email the manufacturer however I am concerned that they assured us that all these things would be attended to, but they have flagrantly ignored these instructions, having explicitly stated they would address all these issues.

Any suggestions would be welcome.

We are in Australia.
  12. irobber7

irobber7

Thanks for the helpful information.
  13. prodicalson

prodicalson Banned Member

hi guys the words ''LET THE BUYER BEWARE'' Springs to mind Even though my wife and i are resourcers in China we believe that if possible that you can start with small orders for a period and develop a good respect and relationship with your contact, this will offer you in particular a kind of 'safety net' where should you fall into the fraudulent or disreputable hand of your supplier/manufacturer the loss is minimal and they have lost a good cause.
    I must extend here that we are here to assist should you wish to persue this suggestion.
    regards
    christopher and linna
  14. jitverify.com

jitverify.com

Yes, I agree. Start with sample or small order first. Do not wire much deposit, if you will be in a bad situation, you have no way to get your money back. But if you do much homework at the beginning, it will reduce the risks.
  15. hlgccbirds

hlgccbirds

Re: Basic Due Deligence Steps for Sourcing Products from Abroad!

How would I go about finding a chinese agent to work on my behalf? :\ I need to have someone navigate the waters for me.
  16. jitverify.com

jitverify.com

You have two choices,
    1. find a freelancer to work for you. The advantage is the cost is low, the disadvantage is that the service quality is not guaranteed.

2. find a company to be your agent in China. the cost maybe a little higher than freelancer but you can get guaranteed services.
  17. KOD Solutions

KOD Solutions

We would be happy to help you out. Feel free to contact me anytime for further discussions. However, we are not a Chinese agency company. we are a Western owned Company based out of China.
  18. gadgetssound

gadgetssound

Hello i totally agree with the whole free e-mail address point and tend to stay away from those suppliers when i can.But I stupidly enough got caught by a big company.
  19. wendyhe81

wendyhe81

Some companies also use the same number as their tel and fax, means very small business, should be careful when deal with them.

By the way, I am native Chinese and worked in a local chinese trading company for 5 years. We never had problems to find new clients, and on the opposite we received too many RFQ everyday, so our boss told us that if the RFQ sent by personal emal address like hotmail, yahoo, aol, then they should be our priority. :rolleyes:
  20. wendyhe81

wendyhe81

Sorry, shouldn't be ......