1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
Have you checked if your business appears in our directory? Add your basic information for FREE!

Click Here to know more!!

If you would like links to source leads, upgrade from £12.50 a month!

Click Here to subscribe!
Dismiss Notice

Hi Guest!

Our website stays online because of the support of our advertisers. A huge part of them are from banner ads that appear on our site. While some of them seems to be intrusive for some, these ads are needed to keep our community running and continue providing free membership service for buyers.

In light to this, we request that you disable ad blocking programs or add our website to your ad blocker's whitelist. This keeps us from offering our basic membership to everyone for free and help with maintenance costs of our website.

If you have already disabled ad blocking programs or added us into the whitelist, please ignore this message, this message will disappear in a few seconds!

Blogs stealing my videos

Discussion in 'Social Media, SEO/SEM & Online Marketing' started by Volantary, Apr 27, 2012.

1. Volantary

Volantary

Hi all,

Just a quick question to those knowledgable SEO experts among us. I've recently started putting up a load of videos on youtube for advertising and SEO purposes (links in the descriptions and the suchlike). I've just done a google search for them and it turns out that these automated blogs that people set up for reasons that those smarter than me can understand are stealing them and embedding them. Because these sorts of sites will (hopefully) eventually get blacklisted, is their embedding of my video likely to affect my SEO in any way?

As always, thanks in advance!
    Alex
  2. Gary

Gary

Hi Alex,

Not sure on the SEO side, but if you want to stop people embedding your youube videos on automated blogs (or anywhere else), then you can turn off the embedding option (that way if someone wan't to share your video they will have to link to it instead), you can do this by:

1. Log in to your youtube account
    2. Click the arrow next to your name and go to 'video manager'
    3. Click the arrow next to 'edit' on the video you want to prohibit sharing
    4. Select 'info & settings'
    5. Click 'advanced settings'
    6. Untick 'enable embedding'
    7. Save and repeat as necessary
    To be honest, I haven't ever used this function once video's have already been embedded so am not sure what it will do with those already 'stolen' if anything (if you do it please report back and let us know).

Hope this helps

Gary
  3. Volantary

Volantary

Mmm the problem is I want to use the videos on my product pages so they kinda need to be embeddable (if that's a word it's a great one and it's going on a t shirt)
  4. Gary

Gary

Sorry didn't realise that, not sure then tbh, sorry
  5. super_touring

super_touring

How about hosting them yourself rather than on Youtube?
  6. Lace

Lace Retired Moderator

Hi Alex,

Do your videos have a watermark? I imagine when people watch it from somewhere else then they'll actually get curious and go directly to the source (you) to buy the featured products. Personally that's what I do because I feel it's cheaper to go to the source and I'd think the site I am in is your reseller.

Or how about a note at the end saying something like "Thanks for watching, buy these items direct at mysite.co.uk"

I hope this helps :)
    super_touring likes this.
  7. Volantary

Volantary

No watermark but i do have those words at the end :)
    Lace likes this.
  8. robb

robb

You can either host yourself, protect the media and use a proprietary player and/or go the watermarking route with your domain ads stuffed into the video, so that theft = profit.