Britons 'bored by social networks'

Discussion in 'Social Media, SEO/SEM & Online Marketing' started by Jenilee, Mar 7, 2012.

1. Jenilee

Jenilee

A new study conducted by YouGov revealed that an increasing numbers of Britons are becoming bored with social media.

According to the research, 41 per cent of the British online population claim to be getting bored with social media and say they will use it less. However, the uptake and usage of sites such as Facebook and Twitter, is still growing.

Additionally, they also found out that just under a quarter of the British online population who regularly use Facebook, are going on it less than they did a year ago.

The study also shows that increasing numbers of people prefer to use social media for specific purposes, such as job hunting via LinkedIn or tracking friends’ news - rather than just browsing the sites for the sake of it.

Source
  2. DarrenSpeed

DarrenSpeed

Looks like the start of maturity for social sites.

100% agree with that, just have to look at your friends and even yourself and you will realise that time spent on it, isn't as much as before and now there does seem to be a purpose for being on a social site now, rather than watching the screen for half an hour to get a reply from someone, or stalking your ex (don't say you haven't!)
  3. Proudlock

Proudlock

In contrast though I heard pinterest is growing at a ridiculous pace with more unique visitors spending a longer proportion of their time on the site - although pinterest has more 'browseability' compared to sites like FB and twitter where you just check the latest posts to stay updated. In essence I think that this figure will ebb and flow with time dependent on other external factors, as for example people may be spending time more wisely to maximise income in this latest recession period.
  4. Volantary

Volantary

I'd love to be an analyst who gets ridiculous amounts of money for publishing this crap. Of course growth will be slower because most of the civilised world is on facebook! There are only so many human beings with internet that can sign up.

If the article's main point was "people in denial about how much they use social networks" I could get with it, because they say "41% of people say they use it less" but then say usage stats are up. They should then investigate why people give these answers; is it embarrasment at being on them so long, at stalking their exes like derren said? Then they'd be earning their money. Not spitting out this.

I might go into journalism...
    Lace likes this.
  5. Jester

Jester

I think I agree with what Volantary has said, in that I myself might be someone who would tick the box "Do you use it less than 1 year ago?", because in my head the answer is yes.. but I probably spend just as much time on it, the only fact/difference is that I'm getting increasingly bored out of my mind as I aimlessly click things on FB. So I click on, and click off.. or I'll leave it open and keep checking back to it to find that I have no new notifications..

I've outgrown FB and its usefulness, I much more enjoy Twitter, however it is still the case that you will receive a lot more interaction on FB than you will on Twitter. But this is down to many things and is circumstantial.
  6. Proudlock

Proudlock

I agree with this statement completely, twitter is where it is at these days. I dislike the fact that the author of the article has grouped it all as "Social Media" when the common denominator will be that the majority of people interview will mainly be using FB or twitter, and sites such as LinkedIn and Pinterest are obviously getting more growth and use but still fall into the same category. Slightly misleading.
  7. Volantary

Volantary

And no doubt folk like us would have to make 50 rare high profit margin sales to earn what these journalists write!

It's made me really angry lol
    Proudlock likes this.