Can't afford an iPad - try this ?

Discussion in 'Computers & Electronics' started by hardwareheroes, May 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DaleB

DaleB

Thanks Mate, PM me when you get more in. Definetly interested for myself but also may be interested in a small bulk order :)
  2. jay_007

jay_007

3. LouisW

LouisW

Do you think you will be able to get hold of the new m003 apad?
  4. hardwareheroes

hardwareheroes

I can get either of them no problem although I am committing to only one line at the minute until i see how the market matures.

Early signs are favourable. In fact, one forum member bought 5 from me and sold all of them in the space of 24 hours for £149.99 I believe.
  5. LouisW

LouisW

do you know the full specs for the m003 please? Oh, and price?

These are great bits of kit, no wonder they are selling well!
  6. hardwareheroes

hardwareheroes

Not as yet - no
  7. LouisW

LouisW

Ok, cheers.
  8. PFA Direct

PFA Direct

Does anyone know if it is possible to play youtube vids and add apps to the tablet ?

Cheers

Scott
  9. LouisW

LouisW

there is a youtube app, and you can add apps from android's library of over 50,000.

EDIT: Don't take the above for fact, I have just been reading ad they seem to use their own market, not android's. However applications should be able to be installed if you can get hold of the apk installation file.
  10. PFA Direct

PFA Direct

cheers for that, i got one sat at home that got delivered today so looking forward to having alook at it this eve

Ta
  11. bulkoffers

bulkoffers

Great product Ian - whats your current stock of these would be interested in a bulk order?

Cheers
  12. hardwareheroes

hardwareheroes

PM'd you
  13. bulkoffers

bulkoffers

14. Oliver

Oliver

Just looking at selling pricepoint. £149 is achievable and with some luck as high as £199 on this product.
    I speak from experience of selling this item!
    Its a quality item!
  15. LouisW

LouisW

Hi Ian, can you confirm whether these have the android market or their own verison of a market for applications and games?
  16. PFA Direct

PFA Direct

Hi Louis

After a a bit of research i can confirm that the eken m001 is not able to use the android market.
    However there are alternatives such as such as SlideME
    Cheers
    Scott
  17. LouisW

LouisW

Cheers for that.
  18. ukclearance

ukclearance

I received one of these Eken M001 andriod tablets yesterday. They are a nice little unit for the price seem much more responsive than the WinCe netbooks that i had tested in past considering the specifications are similar. Thats not to say that they are prefect. I had a couple of issues see below.

The major issue i was having was with the WIFI connection, which would just drop and then the tablet would not be able to find the wireless network again even after a reboot. It would say scanning and then not find any WIFI networks even though there are 2 very strong networks only metres away that my laptop could still find. I thought that perphaps the WIFI was faulty on the tablet and was almost going to send it back until I found that enabling aeroplane mode rebooting the tablet and then diabling aeroplane mode would bring the WIFI back, a solution but not exactly ideal. After much searching on the internet it appears that i was not the only one experiencing this problem and there has been infact an updated firmware which fixed this issue and well as making the tablet a bit more responsive. I found the firmware update on this google group groups.google.com/group/ekenm001
    and have also mirrored it here ukclearancecentre.co.uk/support/fwupgd-may2010.rar Its pretty straight forward to update the firmware of them, you just extract the contents of the upgrade to a blank SD card and this should give you 1 folder on the SD card called script. Power off your tablet, put in the SD card and power it back on and it will then run through the upgrade automatically. (takes about 5 minutes)
    This firmware update also seems to have fixed the problem i was having of not being able to power the tablet off instead it would just reboot and come back on again.

Still having an issue with playing videos on it though after the update, the toodoo (chinese youtube style site) plays ok. But actual youtube.com videos only play the first frame and then freeze while the sound keeps going. I also tried some MP4s from SD card and they would also freeze the picture but sound carried on, and these MP4s played ok on a WINCE netbook with coreplayer so i know a device of this spec can play them. Hopefully this will be fixed soon with another update.

I would recommending installing the update especially for the WIFI issue i was having
  19. Tango34uk

Tango34uk

I belive its also possible to update the version of the OS, but im still looking into this! All in all, this is looking like the type of product that will take over where iclonesphones have now started to fail on feebay! - and lets all hope so :)

Next year (2011) Blackberry are going to be bringing out there tablet, with Blackberry OS - so once that happends, it will change the market place again. But the China tablets are starting to look like one of the best things to come out of China in a long time :)
  20. hardwareheroes

hardwareheroes

I agree

I was thinking about going into military clothing and accessories (SERIOUSLY) but this might just keep me going in the meantime
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.