1. Speak to our customer support team live today
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Thanks for visiting The Wholesale Forums! Register for FREE today and gain access to more information. Sign up with Facebook, Twitter, or Google.

News CLARKS in sexism row over 'Dolly Babe' shoe...

Discussion in 'Retail' started by Cody, Aug 14, 2017.

1. Cody

Cody

Clarks has been hit with a recent sexism row over a pair of their brand new girls shoes range.

Having named pair of girls shoes Dolly Babe has sparked some criticism amongst the public, as well as Scotland's First Minister Nicola Sturgeon criticising the high-street shoe store on Twitter with: 'It is almost beyond belief that in 2017 a major company think this is in any way acceptable. Shows what we are still up against.'

Clarks has now apologised for any offence caused.

A publishing manager, Laura Waddell head straight to Twitter to express her views on the Dolly Babe range, saying they are: 'out of touch, sexist & insulting.'

The Dolly Babe range pictured below has a heart print detail, and has now been removed from the website and in-store stock, whilst the boys Leader shoes has a football and rather boyish design still remain in stock and on the Clarks website.

dolly babe clarks shoes wholesale forum criticized.jpg
    Clarks in a statement later said: 'We are working hard to ensure our ranges reflect our gender-neutral ethos and we apologize for any unintended offence caused.'

I'm not sure about you, but the Leader boys shoes do somewhat create a stereotype about boys/men, as well as the design looking quite plain, almost as if they were designed specifically for boys...

What are your views on this? Is the Dolly Babe range sexist?
    If we can't have anything called Dolly Babe (perhaps they should have used a better name), then shouldn't Clarks by that logic remove their Leaders range? After all, we can't create this sexist view by claiming boys are to be leaders.
  2. Gary

Gary

Maybe some forget that some girls actually like to be girly, yet another ridiculous example of people getting offended on others behalf, don't like them then don't buy them, but don't take them away from those who may actually like them over some over the top 'ism pc rubbish...

What I'd like to know is where it would stop, with bureaucrats sat in an office controlling what's allowed on sale having to pass an approval process before being allowed on the shelves? Thus removing any freedom of choice from the consumer...

Sorry but if some people are truly offended at the name of a shoe range they need to be thankful they don't have any real problems and let everyone else get on with their lives!

Sorry if this is a little blunt but it's honest. All this over 'ism stuff does is cause animosity and division and to a degree feeds the problem while diluting the true prejudices that exist.

I'm not sure if such a thing exists but if not it maybe should because many are becoming 'overismist'.

/rant!

Edited to add:

I do believe in equality in case anyone was wondering, but I also believe that over sensitivity is becoming rife, and the many are often repressed/gagged by the few (often including many of those the effective gag is meant to be on behalf of 'just in case').

To me true equality would allow anybody the right to free expression allowing anybody else the right to act as they will (in this case to buy them or not), because even in this example an equal but opposite and actual 'ism is created by making this an 'ism to begin with like the op states by allowing the stereotyping of boys but not girls...

In short, I just think they should let the people choose.
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2017
    Cody likes this.
  3. Dean

Dean

The fact that Jimmy Cranky herself agrees shows how pathetic the whole thing is. Poor little Snowflakes (and that's putting it politely!) get upset by everything these days.
    Import Expert likes this.
  4. Gary

Gary

I know I'm late to the discussion on twitter but I just had to reply to her...lol
  5. ApolloV

ApolloV

Looking at this story from a more positive perspective, if an unacceptable shoe design represents the worst of what Nicola Sturgeon and feminists are 'still up against', maybe women in Britain are doing just fine and might be facing fewer real obstacles that hinder their progress, unlike truly repressed and abused women in other parts of the world.
    Gary, Cody and Dean like this.
  6. Cody

Cody

Jimmy Cranky?:cwl:
  7. Dean

Dean

Have you not seen the likeness? Or are you too young to remember the Krankies? ;)
    [​IMG]
    Cody likes this.
  8. Cody

Cody

Never watched the act myself (probably too young - I'm 28), though that's a big likeness! :astonished:
  9. Dean

Dean

They were very popular back in the day but when you look back on it now, they were just awful!

Although they portrayed themselves as a father and son act, 'Jimmy' was actually played by the wife of the other half of the act - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Krankies
    Cody likes this.
  10. lpbusiness

lpbusiness

People are far too sensitive these days. If you have such an issue with this range, just don't buy them for your child. Quite frankly ridiculous.
    Cody likes this.