Collecting email addresses for marketing purposes

Discussion in 'Social Media, SEO/SEM & Online Marketing' started by Import Expert, Jan 14, 2014.

1. Import Expert

Import Expert

We currently receive a number of messages from either the main contact form on our website or our generic email addresses such as info@woodlandglobal.com, which in the main are asking for pricing/shipping information.

I've recently arranged for these to be routed directly to me so I can get an idea of what enquiries we are getting in and from where.

In order to achieve the latter I would ideally like to add all of the senders email addresses to a contact group on our eMarketing software in order to send a very brief survey out basically asking where they found us and how did we do.

Contact data would then ideally be maintained to send out quarterly newsletters to.

Any of the above sent out would obviously have an unsubscribe option, but my question is, would it break any ISP rules/Data protection or suchlike by sending such surveys/newsletters without a 'formal 'opt in' in the first place?
  2. PeterM

PeterM

Hi there,

ico.org.uk/for_organisations/privacy_and_electronic_communications/the_guide/electronic_mail

Gives some guidelines

If someone asks for information (and thus provides their email address) - should not be assumed that they are "opting in" to receiving any future emails and most likely will object (I say that from experience).

I actually tried something similar and "added" everyone who had purchased from us to a newsletter, needless to say it didn't go down well and many people reported us as spam and I learnt my lesson.

My experience is a small, quality, highly targeted list of people interested in your products is much better than a large list of people who have just given over your email address, I appreciate building this list takes time.

I would however suggest a middle ground, my feeling is people object to receiving "newsletter" or "bulk" emails when they have not opted in, however do not object to more personalised messages. So perhaps if you have this list of "enquiries" you could send what seems to be a personal email address from the owner of the business saying something like "

This has 2 benefits, 1 your back in touch with the customer and maybe you can get some feedback on why they didn't continue and 1. You are starting to "build" your email list. People not interested (hopefully) will just ignore it but unlikely to mark as spam as it looks personal!

Good Luck!

Peter
    Import Expert likes this.
  3. Import Expert

Import Expert

Thanks Peter.

My main target at present is to find out how they found/heard about us & how did we perform - Hence the survey idea. If we left it as this, as a one off, would this come under the same regulations?
  4. PeterM

PeterM

I can't say I'm a expert on the regulations, I would argue as they have in fact got in contact with you in the first place and what your proposing could be seen as a follow up (and thus perfectly legitimate). To be honest these acts are more aimed at people blatantly abusing email marketing (buying lists etc) rather than what your doing and highly unlikely anyone will object enough for it to cause you any problems.

If you just want to know where people found you and how you perform (2 questions) do you really need a "survey"? if someone sent me a email saying - could you answer these 2 quick questions I would do it, if I saw a survey I would delete/ignore it! The easier you can make it for the receiver the more responses you will get, also you will likely get one shot at it so make it a good one!
    Import Expert likes this.
  5. Gary

Gary

As above, a follow up is one thing and generally accepted, but these people cannot automatically be placed on a newsletter list, although you CAN include an opt in to the newsletter in the follow up email.

Not sure if you remember from when you read my eBook, but there's similar to this but for ecommerce (in the building lifetime value section), although this could more than likely be adapted to suit other business models.
  6. Import Expert

Import Expert

Great - Thanks all.
  7. Yuliabrvk

Yuliabrvk

8. Jenny Maxwell

Jenny Maxwell

Emailing is an extremely efficient and flexible medium that provides access to any number of prospects who are otherwise inaccessible. Direct email can be used for various purposes such as to sell products, generate sales leads, follow-ups, keep in touch with customers, referral marketing etc. You are able to consistently present every benefit or your product or service. You can contact prospects who are everywhere at any time. Reaching the right set of prospects with the right message and the right offer is the key to a successful lead generation campaign. The most important aspect of any online lead generation campaign, especially email campaign, is the number of sales inquiries it generates.
    TOP Email Marketing Tools:
    LeadLake
    ZoomInfo