1. Speak to our customer support team live today
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Thanks for visiting The Wholesale Forums! Register for FREE today and gain access to more information. Sign up with Facebook, Twitter, or Google.

Combining 2 suppliers for 1 Full container load?

Discussion in 'Payment & Shipping' started by madman, Oct 19, 2017.

1. madman

madman

Hi, is is easy to combine 2 suppliers who deliver FOB to the same port?
    Like would a port company save a container for me for a few days? Lets say supplier 1 delivers good on Monday and supplier 2 on Wednesday? Is it common practice?
    Thanks
  2. ClydeValleyTech

ClydeValleyTech

I don't know just how common the practise is, but I have done so myself a couple of times in the past. Each time, my shipper was informed of my intentions, i.e that there would be a couple of deliveries from different suppliers to the port of origin. I also asked both suppliers to call each other to coordinate and arrange deliveries to said port between themselves and passed that information back to my shipper after a plan and timescale was agreed upon. It was a little more work on all sides, but went smoothly in the end. I think it really depends on how helpful your suppliers are and how flexible your shipper can be to accommodate you and your schedule.

More experienced members here might have more to add?

rgds
    madman likes this.
  3. Import Expert

Import Expert

Hi Madman, Yes it's certainly possible. Two things to consider are that firstly the suppliers need to be roughly in the same area in China (or FOB costs with trucking might be high), and the orders need to be ready around the same time. Ideally they should be delivered in to the receiving depot the same day or there may be additional costs. You should also consider LCL (Groupage) - Often not as expensive as you might think. We offer All in rates from China FOB to Door UK with weekly services from most major ports in China + HK. Drop me over an email if I can help - Happy to provide comparison quotes for a previous job also so we can show our customers what savings they can make. [email protected]
    ClydeValleyTech likes this.
  4. madman

madman

As far as I remember +- half of the container LCL cost nearly as much as FCL. LCL is worth if you have less than half container, maybe third, forth of container or so.
    Plus my receiving port is of the smaller ones thus making it more difficult to combine another half of the container that goes to the same port.
  5. Import Expert

Import Expert

Hi Madman - Which port to they use?
  6. ClydeValleyTech

ClydeValleyTech

Funnily enough, the last time I done this myself was for 2 shipments to Tianjin and it was the team at Woodland Global that helped me out. I can certainly recommend them to handle your import and delivery requirements, they made the whole process painless and were competitively priced :>)
    Import Expert likes this.
  7. madman

madman

One of the ports in Guangdong (meaning their factory is in that province and I can chose whichever port suits me best, of course considering distance from factory to port)
    The issue is not their port, but receiving end port.
  8. madman

madman

I meant the issue in terms of LCL, otherwise no issue. In case you asked in order to see if my oroginal thought about 2 factories and 1 FCL feasible in said Chinese port. :)
  9. Import Expert

Import Expert

Hi Madman,

So you could probably use Yantian for the export?. With regards to the arrival port most LCL will arrive at Southampton/Felixstowe or London Gateway but if you get an all in FOB rate then this becomes irrelevant as the forwarder will usually unpack the container at their own depot (wherever that may be). We generally use Chelmsford or Manchester depending where the bulk of the LCL is destined for. If you can let me know where in the UK the cargo would be destined for I can give you our latest all in rates as a benchmark.
  10. Power Forwarding

Power Forwarding

Yea I do this quite often for our customers. Can have several suppliers all move in one container assuming they are roughly the same area. Generally even better if they all agree on the same incoterms.
    Cody likes this.