1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
Have you checked if your business appears in our directory? Add your basic information for FREE!

Click Here to know more!!

If you would like links to source leads, upgrade from £12.50 a month!

Click Here to subscribe!
Dismiss Notice

Hi Guest!

Our website stays online because of the support of our advertisers. A huge part of them are from banner ads that appear on our site. While some of them seems to be intrusive for some, these ads are needed to keep our community running and continue providing free membership service for buyers.

In light to this, we request that you disable ad blocking programs or add our website to your ad blocker's whitelist. This keeps us from offering our basic membership to everyone for free and help with maintenance costs of our website.

If you have already disabled ad blocking programs or added us into the whitelist, please ignore this message, this message will disappear in a few seconds!

Complete Guide to Timeline for Facebook Pages

Discussion in 'Social Media, SEO/SEM & Online Marketing' started by Lace, Mar 1, 2012.

1. Lace

Lace Retired Moderator

Here's what everyone needs to know about the new Timeline for Facebook Pages. This feature will automatically roll out for all brand pages on March 30.

Timeline features, how to use them, and what for.

1. Cover image - This is Timeline's most obvious feature that allows brands to choose an engaging photo that can visually express their identity. Images here cannot include promotional information such as coupons, advertisements, or call to actions such as "Like" or "Share".

Suggested cover photos include images of your products and people using your services.

The dimensions of a cover image are 851 x 315 pixels. If it's not this size, Facebook will automatically adjust it to fill the area.

2. Profile photo - is by default, your thumbnail image on Facebook. The new thumbnail image is of 180 x 180 pixels dimension. This acts as your avatar on Facebook which will identify you on the news feed and relate your content to your business. Facebook suggests using a company logo and not changing it as often to keep your identity.

3. About section - highlights the most relevant information about your business. This appears automatically for all pages and will display your old about information by default.

[​IMG]

4. Views and apps - replaces the old Facebook Page photo strip and helps visitors easily navigate to other areas of your Page. FB Page admins can create a custom app and image. Landing or welcome pages can be accessed here as well. So this means that adapting the new Timeline won't delete them.

Visitors can see up to 12 apps. Photo app (or simply a link to your photos) is by default, always the first app displayed followed by 3 apps that you can freely rearrange as you wish.

5. Friend activity - users now see how their friends interact with your page right away because this area easily displays if any of their friends liked, shared, or posted a comment on your Timeline.

New Content Features

1. Pinned post - Each week, you can feature one important story at the top of your page. This will be displayed up to 7 days.Pinned post have a special 'bookmark' icon.

Pin post by hovering to an update and select 'Pin to Top'. Only one story can be pinned on your page at a time.

2. Starred post - takes the entire width of the timeline, especially attractive for videos. To star a post, click the star icon at the top right of any of your Page posts.

3. Hide posts - you can also hide posts by clicking on the pencil icon found on each post and selecting 'Hide from Page'. This means hidden posts will no longer be seen by all visitors to your page.

4. Milestones - this is another major feature of Timeline. Milestones take the entire width of the timeline and is represented with a flag. This could be your product launch or other meaningful events for your business. You can create milestones by heading to the composer below your About section and selecting 'Milestone'. This should include a photo and a significant date so it appears in the correct position in your timeline.

Managing your Page

[​IMG]

Timeline has a new admin panel where you can keep up with all your page activity. Find this panel above your cover photo.This is also where another major feature of Timeline can be accessed - messages. Now a Page can have one-on-one conversations with its audience and fans can easily send you a question or comment privately.

You will also see an activity log tab that shows all your Page's activity. You can star, hide, and unhide posts from this page too.

Should you switch to Timeline now?

If you are ready with a correct cover image and some milestones to showcase on your Timeline, why not? As always, try to create a strategy that will fit the new look of your Facebook Page and don't forget to guide your fans to the changes they will see. This is your chance to relaunch your Page with a bang!

You can also take the full training video course of Facebook on the new Timeline for Pages.

This guide is actually from my notes after watching the training video. Duration is about 45 minutes. Please feel free to add your own tips, guide, and experience on the new Facebook Page Timeline :)
  2. multibrands

multibrands

Lace likes this.
  3. Dave

Dave

Hi Lace,
    Another great post, many thanks. I have bookmarked it so I can study it later.
    Here is the link to my Timeline page: https://www.facebook.com/SimpleEarth for some reason it won`t let anyone see it if they aren`t logged in?
    Any help to fix this would be great.
    Dave.
    ps When is your TWF Social Media webinar being shown?
  4. AngelaLuo

AngelaLuo

thank you for the share. especially useful for a FB addict like me.I've been quite confused with FB timeline.:\
  5. Proudlock

Proudlock

Great post and some insight into the new features - going to start devising ways to use these features to best benefit and market businesses and brands.
  6. Dave

Dave

Hi Sam,
    When you figure this out please let me know.:)
    Dave
    Proudlock likes this.
  7. Gary

Gary

Just a little behind but I just received an email about this from my site reference subscription, yeah you get some junk but some of it's pretty handy, like this guide they have posted - http://site-reference.com/articles/...line-for-pages-will-you-be-ready-by-march-30/, it has a few more images and also links to a couple more timeline guides down the bottom so though it may come in useful to people.

Not really looked into it too much myself yet as I am in the process of gettign another site up and running and doing some fine tuning (mods, etc.), bummer is, I only made a new default landing welcome page the other day now I have to change it :( (will get the rest ready first then look into it when I'm not all over the place...lol).

Seems never ending when you're doing it all yourself!
  8. Proudlock

Proudlock

Another article link - http://mashable.com/2012/02/29/facebook-ads-explainer/ - this article will hopefully be useful along with the new timeline changes, it refers to information found out at the latest and first facebook marketing conference and details the new changes to Ads on facebook surrounding the new updates.

Worth a read.
    Lace and SimpleEarth like this.
  9. Lace

Lace Retired Moderator

Hi Dave,

The link you posted above is your personal page (I think?) so it means you need to add people as friends before they can see your content. On the other hand, I believe this is your Facebook Page http://www.facebook.com/SimpleEarthuk - where your Timeline is not yet activated.

Re: social media webinar, no solid plans yet but I think Anthony has a talk at the Off-Price show coming up. I'll ask him again :)
    SimpleEarth likes this.
  10. Dave

Dave

Thanks Lace, I have now activated my business page.
    I think a webinar would be great and move TWF to the experts on social media ;)
  11. Gary

Gary

Had a go at doing my timeline page for my new project, thoughts please - http://www.facebook.com/ProDemonUK (as the custom name ProDemon was already taken sadly, mind you, I'm ProDemonUK on youtube too but that doesn't matter too much).

Still got to do a new video for the welcome page and will also upload to my fb account (and see if I can figure out how to 'sticky it' for 7 days then launch a small fb ad campaign but not doing that just yet, that will probably be in the (not too distant) future.
  12. Dave

Dave

I added a comment and `Liked` it.
    Gary likes this.
  13. multibrands

multibrands

Hello Gary,
    Yes I went through your FB page, it looks pleasant. And please add welcome video, it will give more vibrant look.
    Cheers!
    Gary likes this.
  14. Dave

Dave

How do you add a video? Please keep it simple. ;)
  15. Gary

Gary

On your main page, click on admin, then manage, then you will see 'edit page' then click on 'apps' on the left hand side then on video, click 'go to app'

Not used it myself yet (not in that way anyway, my other video is in the code used for my 'welcome' page).
    SimpleEarth likes this.
  16. Dave

Dave

Thanks Gary, when you mentioned `code` my brain shut down...............:D:\
  17. Dave

Dave

Gary,
    My video is from youtube:

Question how do I save this as a video on my computer? , grrrrrrrrrr I hate all this.
    Dave
  18. Gary

Gary

search google for free flv converter, it allows you to search youtube and download videos ;)

Added bit:

There are many other youtube downloaders, 2 reasons I mentioned that one, first being it's what I have on my pc, and second, you can convert your own videos ready to upload to youtube (the last 5 on my youtube account were taken on my hd camcorder im mp4 format and resized and converted to flv using that program)
    SimpleEarth likes this.
  19. Dave

Dave

Thanks Gary.
  20. Gary

Gary

No worries mate