1. Speak to our customer support team live today
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Thanks for visiting The Wholesale Forums! Register for FREE today and gain access to more information. Sign up with Facebook, Twitter, or Google.

Courier loses item but refuses to compensate as no insurance taken

Discussion in 'General Wholesale' started by paul_xedos, Dec 4, 2017.

1. paul_xedos

paul_xedos

Hi,
    I've been dealing with couriers on a daily basis for several years and in my experience insurance is practically worthless as they always seem to find a way out of paying for damage or loss - 'insufficient packaging' seems to be their favourite get out clause.

I've a fairly clear-cut case of the courier firm collecting the item, then losing it. We've been through a lengthy claims process providing all relevant documentation only to be met with :
    **I am terribly sorry about this, but unfortunately you refused to take out cover on this parcel, we are issuing a refund of the postage cost as a goodwill gesture. **
    Just wondering if I have any comeback at all or am I at their mercy to come up with whatever ruling they decide?

Thanks
    Paul
  2. Cody

Cody

Hmmmmmm to me this is bit of a tricky one. I've had parcels meant to have been delivered by the likes of Royal Mail that hadn't arrived. They wouldn't do anything about it. However, going back to the supplier is where I'd go next - they would normally have tracking on it, so should be knowledgeable and realise you actually haven't received the parcel.

Also, this is down to the seller as well. (Check their T&Cs). They should be responsible up till point of delivery I believe.

Just so we're aware, which courier are you experiencing these issues with?
  3. paul_xedos

paul_xedos

It's actually Parcel2Go who I know are not a courier but rather a portal
    I'm the seller and the warehourse has proof of collection by Hermes. Tracking status shows as collected and no further updates
  4. paul_xedos

paul_xedos

Hi,
    Just wondering if anyone had any advice on this one. Does there line of no insurance so we do not pay for anything sound like something I can contest ( even if it meant small claims court)?
    regards
    Paul
  5. 55013

Hi Paul, i use Parcel2Go quite often and have done for years, i must admit i have only had 1 problem with a lost parcel and i got full compensation but that was a few years ago.
    Initially the price is good but when you add on the extras for a signature and then insurance if the value is over £20 it bumps up the price quite a lot and you sometimes wonder if you would be better off just paying the extra and using Royal Mail.

Personally i find it is always best to pay the insurance and use a credit card if possible as method of payment as then you have 2 chances of getting compensated. I reckon these days sending a package on a courier without paying the full insurance means you will have precious little chance of getting any type of refund. I do not have any experience with small claims courts but i would guess it is unlikely they could help.

Paying for insurance out of your own pocket often feels like it may be a waste of money but in the long run i think it is definitely worth it either with online couriers or the post office.