couriers that ship glass and offer compensation for damage/loss

Discussion in 'Logistics - Payment & Shipping' started by Dave Casuals, May 6, 2018.

1. Dave Casuals

Dave Casuals

I've been sending parcels out through interparcel and normally select Parcel Force as main carrier for glass sheets. Approx weight of deliveries ranges from 6-16kg and they are sent in a well packed small box.

Only recently I got an email literally 5 minutes after paying for a shipment through interparcel from their customer service team mentioning that they have noticed I'm sending glass and they do not offer compensation for any damage that may occur. I've sent several parcels through them in recent weeks of the same item just different weights, and all have arrived perfectly so found it strange to receive this email since I have noted each time on their booking form that it is glass being sent.

They mention that the parcel is fine to go through them but will be sent at my own risk and if any damage should occur they will not offer any compensation only if the item is deemed lost. I went ahead with sending but I'm looking at other alternatives now as all it takes is some idiot to throw the parcel onto the back of a lorry and damage the goods inside. The parcels are all marked as fragile and packed securely enough to protect against most light knocks etc but obviously wouldn't prevent smashing if a worker were to just chuck the box onto the floor or back of lorry etc.

Is this the same for all couriers and courier booking websites? I do prefer to use parcel force but trying to find best prices as normally I book through interparcel then take the parcel into the post office for collection whereby I save a considerable amount as opposed to having the parcel collected from me directly.
  2. Cody

Cody

I've just had a look at a few couriers, and again they don't offer compensation on glass products either unfortunately. Perhaps, this is the first time they've really checked the form stating it's glass being sent.
    Sarahfetchy likes this.
  3. HCott

HCott

We ship glass as a major part of our business but have never found a courier that will insure it, sorry. Pack well!