1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
Have you checked if your business appears in our directory? Add your basic information for FREE!

Click Here to know more!!

If you would like links to source leads, upgrade from £12.50 a month!

Click Here to subscribe!
Dismiss Notice

Hi Guest!

Our website stays online because of the support of our advertisers. A huge part of them are from banner ads that appear on our site. While some of them seems to be intrusive for some, these ads are needed to keep our community running and continue providing free membership service for buyers.

In light to this, we request that you disable ad blocking programs or add our website to your ad blocker's whitelist. This keeps us from offering our basic membership to everyone for free and help with maintenance costs of our website.

If you have already disabled ad blocking programs or added us into the whitelist, please ignore this message, this message will disappear in a few seconds!

Crackdown on Facebook Secrets

Discussion in 'Social Media, SEO/SEM & Online Marketing' started by Ron, Nov 27, 2011.

1. Ron

Ron

The European Commission is planning to stop the way the social networking giant exploits its users most personal information to create bespoke advertising.

News Article

It is said that using Facebook's sophisticated software, the firm harvests information from people's activities on the social networking site and make it available to advertisers. A new European Union Directive which will be introduced in January will ban such targeted advertising unless users allow it.

The Vice President of European Commission calls on service providers, especially social media sites to be more transparent about how they operate and that users must know what data is collected and processed for what purposes.

A spokesman for Facebook said that adverts are personalised to the individual user and they do not track people's behaviour to serve advertising.
  2. Andy777

Andy777

Wow, that could be a huge turning point on where advertising online is moving as currently it's ALL about using as much user data as possible to create laser targeted campaigns.

Lol, if something like this happens, Google will have to change their approach too, right? As they display ads based on user experience e.g., browsing history, ads they have clicked, websites they have visited etc. etc.
    Ron likes this.
  3. GDUK

GDUK

Andy, I did wonder why I feel like im being stalked by adverts from sites ive just visited! Its quite annoying as I have been visiting some home insurance sites lately, and every other site I visit I get adverts for the them! And now you have explained why.

Matt
    Ron likes this.
  4. Gary

Gary

this would change a hell of a lot and not just facebook like Andy said, surely anyone using similar methods will also have to follow suit
    Ron likes this.
  5. Nick-D

Nick-D

I was on a site the other day and my partner guessed her xmas present as an ad kept appearing from a site i had been looking at. Not cool.
    Volantary likes this.
  6. Volantary

Volantary

Private/incognito mode is what you want my friend!
  7. Andy777

Andy777

That's def. not cool!!!
  8. Anthony

Anthony

Re-targetting is a bitch, right?!

I was on the phone with an Ad Sales rep from Facebook earlier in the week and he was using lots of terminology that sounded quite intrusive to me. Facebook is not shy of making privacy blunders, look at their history for a demonstration of that.

As their global expansion continues I can only see them facing more and more legal challenges as governments step in to protect user privacy and manipulation of data that in a conventional format is probably already restricted. Legislation needs to catch up, but that could be bad for everyone who has a business on the Internet, not just Facebook.
  9. londoner

londoner Banned Member

After you log-out from facebook, always delete all cookies,history,data in browser before further surfing.
  10. Anthony

Anthony

But that doesn't help people that don't ever log-out? I'm one of many millions of folks who never log-out because I'm the only one who accesses my PC. I can't see how clearing your browsing history will prevent re-targeting, especially if its IP assigned.