1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
Have you checked if your business appears in our directory? Add your basic information for FREE!

Click Here to know more!!

If you would like links to source leads, upgrade from £12.50 a month!

Click Here to subscribe!
Dismiss Notice

Hi Guest!

Our website stays online because of the support of our advertisers. A huge part of them are from banner ads that appear on our site. While some of them seems to be intrusive for some, these ads are needed to keep our community running and continue providing free membership service for buyers.

In light to this, we request that you disable ad blocking programs or add our website to your ad blocker's whitelist. This keeps us from offering our basic membership to everyone for free and help with maintenance costs of our website.

If you have already disabled ad blocking programs or added us into the whitelist, please ignore this message, this message will disappear in a few seconds!

DHL lost my $4000 shipment!

Discussion in 'Logistics - Payment & Shipping' started by Theory817, Jun 6, 2007.

1. Theory817

Theory817

No comments from the peanut gallery. Negative thinking never gets you anywhere. Thanks.
  2. bhsizemo11

bhsizemo11

Your supplier wronged you by only putting a $2000 declared value on your package to avoid filing SED paperwork for export (required for $2500+ shipments). If this was a USA supplier and you paid via credit card, you'd have no problem with DHL and go directly to your credit card issuer and do a chargeback for non-delivery and your problem is solved. DHL isn't going to pay out claims more than the declared value; if so, then why would anyone pay the full DV fee if we can put half that and get paid the full amount?

Your supplier should get paid the $2000 DV claim plus shipping fees and then wire you that amount plus the remaining $2000 they failed to cover. I doubt that will happen though since you're going after DHL for the extra $2000. What's your supplier's excuse for you taking the $2000 hit when they should have covered the full $4000?
  3. Pete

Pete

Sorry, I was not meaning to throw in a quick line.

What I meant was you have no chance of getting all of what you are looking for. You may eventrually get some money from your supplier, or at least the order duplicated and shipped again. You are not going to collect for lost sales, heartache or anything else that is not a tangible product.

And your complaint is with your supplier. They gambled with a $ 2000 DV, since that is probably their cost, or close to it. So, they will be getting $ 2,000 back from DHL. You paid them, you did not pay DHL. Even if the terms were FOB, they are the ones who ordered to shipment and paid the bill (assuming you did not have the shipping billed to your DHL account).

Your best bet is to get your supplier to duplicate the shipment as soon as DHL tells them that the shipment is officially lost.

I would say that just getting a new shipment of the order should make everyone semi-happy. That will have the least cost to everyone. DHL pays your shipper the 2 grand, who uses that money to replace your order, which is sent to you. You get what you ordered, maybe later than expected, but you get it.

Keep in mind that you are dealing with an unfortunate occurance in international commerce, not a consumer issue. Your "rights" are clearly stated and there is no Consumer Protection Act to back you up. This wasn't planned by anyone, it was not intentional (except maybe by the crook who made off with your goods) and a "break even" position is about the best you can hope for.

Push your supplier to duplicate the order and move on.

This is not negative thinking, it's reality. And international law.

Thinking you are going to get anything more than what is covered by DHL is pie in the sky thinking.
  4. glasshaus

glasshaus

The question i really have to ask is, why didnt you insure it? 4k worth and you didnt track it? beats me.

Personally i would follow the legal route, threaten them with it.

When i bought an Mp3 player from amazon, they lost it. After a month or so it still hadnt arrived. I threatened them, they repaid me.
  5. bhsizemo11

bhsizemo11

And Amazon was the supplier...and that's who refunded you (not UPS/FedEx/DHL). Amazon didn't lose it, but their courier of choice did. You go after your supplier, supplier collects the protection value from the courier. DHL isn't the supplier here...and their liability is limited to the shipment protection value placed on the package at the time of printing the label/airbill.

Now if the supplier correctly valued the package, this discussion wouldn't be taking place.
  6. Theory817

Theory817

I was under the impression that the package was being insured, due to the value. This was a new supplier and I should have made it absolutely clear. I am in a discussion with them now about being reimbursed. I'll keep everyone posted on this. SOMEONE is going to pay me back.
  7. Theory817

Theory817

MAJOR UDPATE: 2 of my 4 boxes were just delivered by DHL. I have no words. I'm so glad to have them, but am so mad at DHL at the same time. How could they have no idea what was going on for the last month? No words. More on this later if my other 2 boxes show up tomorrow.
  8. JPB

JPB

Well at least its some good news mate :)
  9. Theory817

Theory817

Indeed it is. God is good. That's all I can say right now. This really is the easiest way for this whole thing to be solved. No lawsuit, no angry suppliers or customers. The stuff was just delivered, nice and easy. :)

Oh, and I will NEVER allow a shipment like this to go uninsured ever again. I've learned my lesson.
  10. Anthony

Anthony

So you got all four shipments delivered now or still only the two?
  11. DSC

DSC

Glad to hear that it has worked out for you, even if only 2 turn up. But I will repeat I GUARENTEE that you will get no where throught he courts, they are in the right and its a lesson that should be listened to by all.
  12. Theory817

Theory817

So far I have two. I am still waiting on the other two, and I will post immediately when they are delivered.

**Regardless of anything else, I will NEVER use DHL ever again, ever, for anything. Ever. I advise everyone to boycott them and to use UPS instead.**
  13. Theory817

Theory817

They might be "legally" in the right, according to the loopholes and clauses in their user agreement with the sender, but NOTHING DHL has done has been morally or ethically in the right. They have cost me thousands of dollars in profits, lied to me for almost a month, and have still potentially lost thousands of dollars worth of merchandise. Never again. Ever.
  14. Pete

Pete

I've been through the same with UPS and FedEx. Also truck motor carriers. And if you ever have an airline lose something, you'll go through the same. These are businesses that operate, often under regulations, by fixed standards. They can't "feel sorry" for one and hold others to the terms of their agreements. You're mixing emotions with legalities.

There are probably others here who can come up with equally disturbing instances, you are not a personal target of DHL, or anyone else for that matter. No one with DHL woke up one morning and said "Let's screw over Theory817". It's just how things work (or don't work.)
  15. Theory817

Theory817

I never said I was a personal target of DHL. Why should I want to continue doing business with this company? What, am I supposed to say "Oh it's FINE! You cost me thousands of dollars, but hey, no big deal! I'd LOVE to do business with you again!"? This is not the way I treat my customers, and it's not the way I expect to be treated. Period. This is the third time they've screwed something up on a shipment that was sent to me, and it will be the last, because I will never use them again. I have instructed my suppliers to only ship to me through UPS, which they have gladly agreed to do.

When it gets right down to it, I did nothing wrong, but lost money due to DHL's actions. There is no excuse for this and it is not up for debate.
  16. DSC

DSC

I'm sorry I disgaree with you on everycount, DHL offered insurance to fully protect you from any loss etc. They don't make this compulsory so those that don't want to take it out can send things for less. Theres no loopholes involved its written in black and white and you cannot send a shipment unless you say that you have read and agree to what is written.

I can understand that you are angry about it, who wouldn't, but its a fact of business things go wrong. If it were easy everyone would be doing it.
  17. Theory817

Theory817

DHL was paid to deliver my packages within 3 business days. It didn't happen. They lied to me for weeks about the packages' whereabouts. The sender needs to take responsibility for not insuring the packages, but DHL did not do their job. They were paid for a service and did not complete it. If any of my employees were responsible for something like this happening, they'd be lucky to still have their jobs right now.
  18. bhsizemo11

bhsizemo11

I think our point is that no matter who you use, you should always have the full value declared with the courier. I've had UPS/FedEx/DHL and freight companies all lose or damage packages and never felt "mistreated" by them or want damages because they caused me loss in profits - stuff happens. If the courier doesn't deliver within the stated time, your supplier will receive a full refund for the shipping services. All you can expect is a refund to allow you to break even and incur no loss from your original purchase when you fully value the packages. And packages do get lost and found weeks later - FedEx recently found a very big box in the overage department in Utah 4 weeks after the item was to be delivered. Up until then, they didn't know where the package was - but I know how the process works. I didn't feel like they were lying to me, as they truly didn't know where the package was.

It seems like the majority of your "anger" is directed towards DHL when it should be directed towards your supplier for not putting the correct value on the packages. If DHL "screwed" you two previous times, I would have made it very clear to my supplier to fully value the packages (I always send the labels myself so I have control) but moreso I wouldn't be using DHL for delivery.
  19. Pete

Pete

Planes crash, trucks go off bridges into rivers, people steal, others just plain make mistakes. Things do happen. You're carrying on like a child, not someone in business. If you let something like this upset to the point it apparently has, you should consider working for someone else.

I can't begin to tell you how many "free astray" packages I've received over the years from freight carriers. Sometimes after they paid the claim. And yes, I did pay them back. We're all in it together.

Just a note to all about freight carriers in the US. There are a number of "freight classifications". Commodities are grouped into one of 18 classes—from a low of class 50 to a high of class 500—based on an evaluation of four transportation characteristics: density, stowability, handling and liability. The shipper can declare a classification, but that also can limit the carriers liability.

If you want to ship something cheaply you can call it "scrap iron, value for reclamation only". But cross your fingers that high dollar stuff you shipped as scrap iron doesn't get lost, because you'll get paid a per pound value of scrap iron, no matter what you actually shipped.

Carriers' liability is controlled everywhere.

When something is lost, it's lost. If they knew where it was, they'd get it to you.

Grow up.
  20. greedyboy

greedyboy

The funny thing is, if the packages had been delived on time with the value of the good undervalued, would you have called the appropriate tax depatment and told them ou owe them some more money?

I think not :)