1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
Have you checked if your business appears in our directory? Add your basic information for FREE!

Click Here to know more!!

If you would like links to source leads, upgrade from £12.50 a month!

Click Here to subscribe!
Dismiss Notice

Hi Guest!

Our website stays online because of the support of our advertisers. A huge part of them are from banner ads that appear on our site. While some of them seems to be intrusive for some, these ads are needed to keep our community running and continue providing free membership service for buyers.

In light to this, we request that you disable ad blocking programs or add our website to your ad blocker's whitelist. This keeps us from offering our basic membership to everyone for free and help with maintenance costs of our website.

If you have already disabled ad blocking programs or added us into the whitelist, please ignore this message, this message will disappear in a few seconds!

Does hosting in another country affect possible rankings?

Discussion in 'Social Media, SEO/SEM & Online Marketing' started by Shimmy2501, Jan 6, 2012.

1. Shimmy2501

Shimmy2501

Would it be better to host the same domain in an American hosting site to rank high rather then hosting it from Australia?
  2. rian1990

rian1990

if your target is Australia and you use google.com.au, of course your site will easier to be searched if you use com.au domain. And if your target is America, it is better to use .com domain.
  3. uhafmail

uhafmail

That is not the question though. The OP is talking about hosting not domain extensions.

Some people will say hosting in the same country as your target market helps SEO others will say there is no benefit. I normally try and do so just in case though.
  4. nick-chunias

nick-chunias

I think these days it probably does not make a huge difference but if you have the choice host within your country where you are conducting trade. It may also give you slightly better web site performance. Definitely make sure your URL is country specific.
  5. Anthony

Anthony

Wherever the majority of your target market reside is where you should host your site. Think of this as a user consideration rather than a ranking consideration. If your site is slow to the majority of users because you host it some place far away from them, that stands to do much greater damage to you than any possible ranking factors. As far as ranking factors go, if you are trying to rank for local terms it won't do you any harm to host the site within that locality, but its not going to make a massive difference either way.
  6. mogulmedia

mogulmedia

Was just about to say the same.

It's definitely worth hosting your site where you think most of your audience will be/is targeted. This will ensure most visitors get optimal page loading speed and therefore a better user experience. Google pay big attention to that and will love you for it in the SERP's!
  7. Andy777

Andy777

This is a very old debate and no one (apart from Google) can tell you for sure.

But yes, I don't think Google cares about where your website is being hosted, what it cares is USER EXPERIENCE! If your server abroad is as fast as local one, there won't be any problems.

Don't forget that domain name is still primary + you should register your websites with Google Webmaster Tools and there you can select which country is your primary target.
  8. DarrenSpeed

DarrenSpeed

The answer is actually yes, but not why most people would think, it's more what Anthony says what will make you rank higher. Look at the example below, for exactly the same site.

USA SERP's and USA Hosting = Fast site speed = a lower bounce rate = Google see's your site being highly relevant = higher rankings

UK SERP's and USA Hosting = Slower site speed = a higher bounce rate = Google see's your site being less relevant = lower rankings

Thats the basic overview, but honestly, I wouldn't stress about it too much, just make sure you go with a good host and the site speed should be good in whatever country your are ranking for.
    Clarkey and Anthony like this.
  9. Clarkey

Clarkey

Exactly what Darren says. If you're marketing in the UK. then .co.uk extensions are worth more and hosting in the UK will improve site speed for uk visits. Making this more benificial for ranking at Google.co.uk. It wont make a huge difference but all the small things do add up!
  10. Pete

Pete

I have a number of .co.au clients on my US server.

In another thread within the last few days Matt Cutts, the Google SEO guru/spokesperson/training guy says in a video that it MAY, but is pretty far down on the list. No other SEO work, just hosting a .co.uk in the UK won't do much for you, and then just when they search Google UK it might move you up a notch over someone in the same search, with the same lack of real SEO work but hosts in Germany.

But, the fact is that with many server / hosting suppliers you truly don't know where the server is without doing some research, but probably can't do that before joining and being assigned an IP address.

Short answer - not enough to worry about.
  11. Clarkey

Clarkey

It does impact rankings, especially with large websites where loading speeds are concerned. It is a small different and I would expect it to be "low" on a "SEO checklist" but if you have the option then you should opt for hosting in that country even if its just a small bit of help.

I myself have "UK" websites (.co.uk extensions) on US based servers myself but thats completely down to cost and a good hosting plan. If I could find the same price on UK hosting I would definitely switch.

btw, I never take note of what Google "representatives" have to say.