1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
Have you checked if your business appears in our directory? Add your basic information for FREE!

Click Here to know more!!

If you would like links to source leads, upgrade from £12.50 a month!

Click Here to subscribe!
Dismiss Notice

Hi Guest!

Our website stays online because of the support of our advertisers. A huge part of them are from banner ads that appear on our site. While some of them seems to be intrusive for some, these ads are needed to keep our community running and continue providing free membership service for buyers.

In light to this, we request that you disable ad blocking programs or add our website to your ad blocker's whitelist. This keeps us from offering our basic membership to everyone for free and help with maintenance costs of our website.

If you have already disabled ad blocking programs or added us into the whitelist, please ignore this message, this message will disappear in a few seconds!

News E3 2017 - The Extensive TWF Coverage

Discussion in 'Technical News and Help' started by Erik, Jun 16, 2017.

1. Erik

Erik

This week is E3 week, a once a year event covering the newest games, the best developers, and the brightest personalities in the gaming scene.

[​IMG]

TWF has been covering E3 for quite some time now, and as with the yearly event, we'll show you the best there is among consoles and game publishers - giving everyone a chance to get ahead with insights on the game business, which market will grow and which ones will have subpar years, along with the overall winners in the whole game console debate.

Sony E3 Press Conference

After watching all press conferences scheduled through the whole week of E3, Sony and Playstation seems to have provided a healthy lineup this year. They packed this year's conference with exclusives, and just minimal traces of multi platform games, which seems that they are trying to boost their core. This is good as the Playstation platform has multitudes of exclusives. Adding in Japanese games to it - the ones which are mostly unannounced - the PS4 surely already has an expansive library for every gamer to enjoy. Some of the upcoming games unveiled are as follows:

I. Uncharted: The Lost Legacy

The Uncharted Series is no question one of the heaviest series of the Playstation, and surely both Naughty Dog (The game's developer) and Sony would still like to capitalise in it more. Nathan Drake, the game's previous protagonist, is now no longer at the helm of the game. There is a new protagonist, Chloe Frazer, with the setting taking place 12 months after Drake's last venture.

II. Days Gone

Another post-apocalyptic game, this gives a fresh take in the zombie-type genre. Sony has provided previews of this game last year, and has provided another this year to refresh the hype. The game looks promising though, with its expansive world and a storyline providing a different take in the zombie infested world. Not to mention a zombie bear!

III. Shadow of the Colossus

For those who are unaware, Shadow of the Colossus is a cult hit back in the days of the Playstation 2. This is a game solely meant for the RPG enthusiast with only one goal: kill the meanest and the biggest (humongous) bosses you could see in a game. After years, they finally have brought this game back, along with its towering monsters. I say that this is the biggest unveil of Sony yet, and could be a contender overall - that is if its cult fanbase could still be seen anywhere.

IV. Call of Duty WWII

The Call of Duty franchise seem to have been bashed lately by its followers, due to their previous iterations getting more and more futuristic. It can be evidenced by Battlefield 1's success, and seems Activision has taken notice and followed suit. The CoD franchise now goes back to its roots, covering World War II, and rightfully so. I personally enjoyed the very first Call of Duty game in the same WW2 setting, and it is more idealistic that other gamers would like to see more like that. Putting it up against an already released Battlefield 1 will be hard though, so we'll see until this game is released.

V. God of War

Announced last year, the bird's eye-view setting now being changed to a 3rd person perspective, as Kratos gets older and now has a child. Sony has unveiled a lot more in what seems to be a final chapter of the God of War series, and I can honestly say that the look and feel of this game is definitely apart from the previous GoW iterations. It is a fresh take, and hopefully could do justice as to what Kratos is. Come 2018, this could be a competitor for game of the year, and will definitely be a game to watch out for.

VI. Marvel's Spider Man

I do not think there is much to say in this game except that it looks great! Quite understandable that Marvel wants to follow the success DC had with the Batman games, so putting an effort on a spider man game is definitely a must. So far, this game looks to be really good. A real good aspect is to feel slinging from building to building, and the stunts spidey makes in each encounter. Definitely another game to look out for, and with its initial impression, let us just hope that we will not be disappointed upon release.

Overall Sony's Press Conference is power packed with AAA exclusives, but does not much guarantee much value on Playstation Plus subscription and PSN purchases. Most of these titles will come on disc form, and unless players move into digital, expect that there will be not much purchases on subscription cards this year.
  2. Erik

Erik

Ubisoft E3 Conference

Ubisoft is known as a giant in game publishing, backing up multitudes of game development groups from all over the world. The company itself is known to have popular franchises, and this year fares no differ with new iterations of their games, plus some new IPs their teams have come up. Some of the best ones are as follows:

I. Skull & Bones

Following the excellent feedback they got from Assassin's Creed Black Flag, The company is now unveiling a new pirate game which focuses on the main attraction of the previous Black Flag. This is no assassin type game, but a pirate, ship wrecking, conquer the seas type of network play. The graphics are excellent, and multiplayer is a must. This looks like to be an answer for those who clamor a real pirate game, although not much detail has yet been provided.

II. Assassin's Creed Origins

The AC franchise is popularly known for its open world settings, built around historical eras. This year, they are taking the game further down in history as it goes to its roots to the Egyptian pharaohs era. How will it do compared to the multiple parkour enabled buildings of Europe and Americas, we still do not know. Mechanics will surely change, and that alone makes the game more interesting than previous AC iterations.

III. Starlink: Battle for Atlas

If there is still a thing called innovation, Starlink: Battle for Atlas seems to really bring it to the table. Starlink is a space ship battle game with a very good added factor. Remember Skylanders? Starlink is similar to that, only this time, the ship you control is mounted on your controller. You get to modify your ship on the go, real time as you battle. It's a nifty idea, although hopefully parts and ships sold will not be as expensive as skylanders or amiibo characters. If they play the prices right for parts, there is a huge potential that the company will be really profitable, along with a huge following.

IV. Beyond Good & Evil 2

Beyond Good & Evil finally gets a 2nd make, and with better graphic updates too. No, this is not one of those games that could take game of the year - at least I doubt it would. However the appeal to it is that it clearly shows the hard work of the team behind it. The game is still in development, but clearly shows promise. Not being too much hopeful yet, and there's still a lot of time before we see this game officially out, but with the emotions the makers of this game has put out, it's obvious that they are putting their heart and soul into this one. Here's to hoping this would not disappoint.

V. FarCry 5

A widely popular First Person Shooter, this game really boasts great graphics on green filled settings. This 5th game is no different. I could only laud the graphics, as it is rightfully so, but FarCry seems to be getting old with almost the same goal. Change in some gameplay will not help much, but let us just give a little credit for the graphic quality this game brings to the table. Surely some will get the game to experience graphical quality, and release the full potential of their systems. Other than that, I do not think it would be compelling enough to be a buy for some.

Ubisoft has mostly unveiled repeat franchises this year, making the whole lineup a bit off. The only ones that made the difference are Beyond Good and Evil, Starlink, and Skull and Bones. We could not be sure yet as these are just previews. I personally could see myself getting some of these titles but not to the point of getting real hyped for them.
  3. Erik

Erik

EA E3 Press Conference

Electronic Arts seem to have been lost in the fray. They have not much to boast on this year and it seems to me that they are riding on their 2 best blockbusters: Battlefield and Star Wars. There's not much to say about their conference but it is just filled with game demos and streamers getting some air time.

I. Battlefield 1 - Updates

EA is still riding the popularity of Battlefield 1, as they noticed that CoD lost ground because of their game. They are following it up now with an expansion of the game called In The Name of the Tsar, featuring 8 new maps and added story revolving around the Russian WW1.

II. Need for Speed Payback

This has been announced previously, but as it seems, the Need for Speed franchise is following the footsteps of the Fast & Furious movie franchise. From races, now to heists, everyone will still get the glory of customizing cars from stock to overpowered, and now will get missions, like in their demo where you perform a heist jacking a truck containing a Koenigsegg Regera. The NFS franchise is of course known for nitro burning speed and signature cars, so this new iteration could still steal the hearts of some.

III. Star Wars Battlefront II

At least they made a new version. Star Wars is always at the heart of any geek, so no wonder that this game is popular. They will now be releasing a 2nd iteration of the game, now including spaceship battles, and now including popular names from all movies, including Finn, Kylo Ren, and Rey. A story mode will also be included, as heavily requested by users.

Overall, I believe EA's Press conference has been the weakest so far, with Fifa not getting more exposure, so does Madden, and instead focuses on Battlefield and Star Wars. No other main IP was also released, making this the most lacking year so far for the company.
  4. Dean

Dean

I'm finally looking forward to a Call Of Duty release!! :D
  5. Erik

Erik

Microsoft E3 Press Conference

Microsoft and the Xbox family is on a roll this year. This year's press conference is jam-packed with lots of games and updates. They have shown that they got quite a lineup this year, and taken some tips from Sony itself, featuring quite a number of indie games to expand their lineup. Enough with the intro, let's focus on the biggest announcements made this year.

I. Xbox One X

This comes as a surprise, Microsoft has just unveiled a new version of their console. This one is smaller, yet packing a better punch. Really great hardware is inside which surely could handle 4K quality games to no effort. A wise decision to 1-up the Ps4 Pro and seems to be on the right track.

II. Metro Exodus

The Metro series is a benchmark franchise. These games are usually used to test PC capabilities, due to its really great graphic textures and renders. Anyone who would like to test their gaming PCs should try playing this game and measure if their PC can handle it. Of course, not to mention this is really a good game, so that is an added plus!

III. State of Decay 2

This started to be an Indie game on Steam, but now has received full backing from Microsoft. What's great in this game is that it plays a very strategic and emotional take on a zombie apocalypse, and you create a small community of survivors trying to get by the daily challenges of having different forms of zombies attack your stronghold. They take good care of making the overall game balanced, with scarcity of items a good feature. A game coming from an indie getting this popular is not that common, so ensure that the 2nd game will get better attention to detail.

IV. Sea of Thieves

Announced last year, they released new gameplay footage of this awaited game. As with Skull & Bones from Ubisoft, this is a lighter take of the pirate life, with a bit comical essence put into it. Plunder wrecked ships, discover buried treasure, and fight the unrested souls. That's purely a pirate life, and network play having other players a member of your ship, that's way deep co-op that is expected to be fun.

VI. Anthem

Anthem looks really great. Really great, that this could be one of the greats for 2017 - 2018. The graphics are stunning, despite the same shooter gameplay. They added different things though, with flying suits - and different kinds at that, also a dynamic playfield, which would make you change your playstyle to take advantage of the terrain. This certainly looks promising, but as everything else, let us not take our hopes up.

VII. Xbox Backward Compatibility

This is one announcement that killed Playstation fans. The Xbox One will have backwards compatibility, which means you will be able to enjoy Xbox 360 games you already enjoyed. The Ps4 cannot do this due to their PS Now project, which turns out to be a bad decision for Sony, and a huge +1 for Microsoft. This could be a game changer at all, increasing their game library further.

This is a great year for Xbox users, and there will be no wonder if there will be better sales of the new Xbox One X, and more subscriptions / virtual purchases. Maybe this could be the year that could topple PS4? But wait, we still have 1 contender making all the buzz.
  6. Erik

Erik

Nintendo E3 Spotlight

I have to be honest, I was not expecting anything out of Nintendo, as they rely mostly on exclusive IPs, primarily Mario - and that they cannot add some twist to their properties. This year however comes to be a bit different. I think they are doing justice why you should buy the Switch, and it's not just because of kids.

I. Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle

Now this is what you call stepping on the right direction. We've seen Nintendo trying to open up more to the market y releasing IPs to mobile, now a collaboration game between them and Ubisoft is definitely a great move. Eveyone knows both Mario and the Rabbids, so making them come together for a brand new game is a definite fresh move. From the looks of it, it is a comical game of tactical strategy, but definitely not missing the whole fun of it. This will definitely get good feedback, and an excellent move by Nintendo to start.

II. Pokemon is coming to Switch

[​IMG]

While there is no major unveil as of yet, The Pokemon Company has revealed that a Pokemon game is in the works for the Switch. The best part? It's made by Gamefreak (creators of pokemon handheld games) and not Niantic (maker of Pokemon Go). This means this new pokemon game will be a full fledged Pokemon RPG, and we could gain confidence as Gamefreak has been doing games for years now - they surely know what to do. This brings excitement to myself, making me consider to get a switch already!

III. Kirby

This is definitely loved by my missus. Kirby really is a cute pink ball that sucks in foes, like literally, sucks them in. Nevermind the oddity, but Kirby is a cute character and its new game really looks great on the switch. While there is not much to say, it is a great addition to the console going back to Nintendo roots of fun platformers that can be enjoyed but both kids and parents alike.

IV. Super Mario Odyssey

There should be Mario of course. Nintendo's iconic character now returns, on a new 3d game, with new costume styles. Mario Odyssey looks and feels like the old Mario 64 game, with a new power of hurling his cap at enemies. Fun thing about it is that when enemies get to wear the cap, Mario seems to possess the enemy, whether be a goomba or a tank, and get to control it. The best part? It also copies Mario's famous moustache! There's a lot of gameplay videos now and it seems this is a good Mario iteration. A well deserved follow up to the franchise.

Nintendo looks like they are doing an excellent job at supporting the switch, compared to the flop they had in the Wii U. It's quite special that now they are competing to attract the market with quality games, and trying to open up more to third parties. This moving on to more projects, we will see, but for now let us savor the moment that we see them listening to the public.
  7. Erik

Erik

Verdict: Who Wins E3?

As always E3 is not just about showcasing the games, it is still about the healthy competition between consoles as to who has the better exclusives, the best features, and the best games.

This year, Sony has not showcased much about indies and instead focused on top quality games in their arsenal. While not everything is exclusive to them, the chosen lineup this year is great, but seems a few compared to Xbox. Microsoft on the other hand, looks at this year the way Sony used to last year. Xbox has announced a plethora of indie games, showed off new hardware, and further boasted of backwards compatibility. That's a 3 hit combo against the Playstation if you ask me.

Nintendo, while cannot be fully compared to the two, has a pretty good lineup. And while opting to just do stream rather than having a full blown press conference, They did come up with a few surprises for the Nintendo fan, and bringing back the word fun to their console.

Ubisoft has revealed a couple of good new IPs, which adds to their arsenal for the next 2 years. This is good as players always look for something fresh, and offering a new idea to its hungry crowd is always a good welcome. EA, while still holding on to their greatness in Battlefield, must think of other ways to entice users. CoD WWII will try to compete against Battlefield, so expect some players to jump ship, and no expansion will let them stay. It seems that EA seems a bit lost on what should be the next best thing, and must push their teams to create something new to stay competitive, rather than relying to old IPs.

Overall, I believe the winner this year should be given to Microsoft. A number of indies, great exclusives, and capturing the crowd's attention with backwards compatibility should give them the trophy for this year's E3. Nintendo comes a close 2nd, due to refreshing their IPs and providing more to the switch, while Sony, should think about how to trump the announcements Xbox has made on their consoles.

What do you think? Who in your thoughts was the winner of E3? Are there games in their lineups worth looking forward to? Share your ideas below!
    Wholesale Sportswear likes this.
  8. Wholesale Sportswear

Wholesale Sportswear

I definitely like the look and feel of Shadow of Collosus and Anthem. The graphics look super slick! Anyone played these yet?

E3 looks amazing!! If I went I think I would want to take up permanent residence there!

Richard :)
  9. Dean

Dean

As above I'm actually looking forward to a Call of Duty release for once. I've think they've been pretty clever there as the next Battlefield release was likely to be WW2 following BF1

I'm still playing Battlefield 1 and still love it. Any new additions just help to keep it fresh.
    Cody and Wholesale Sportswear like this.
  10. liamhawes

liamhawes

Sadly I just couldn't get into BF1, if felt too bullet spongy for me. This is the same reason I'm yet to try out the division. I did buy a PS4 recently so I could play their exclusives as well as the xbox ones so I'm looking forward to playing the last of us soon.

I'm not going to get too hyped for any of the games as I know what's happened in the past, days gone looks interesting though as done Anthem.

For the time being I'll stick to playing Rainbow 6 Siege as I'm loving that game.
    Cody and Wholesale Sportswear like this.
  11. Erik

Erik

I played Shadow of the Colossus on the PS2. With that video reveal, it looks like either a remastered version, or a very good looking remake of the original. Seems to me that the mechanics are the same too. So regardless if this is just a remaster, been a while since I slayed some monsters 20-30x my height so by all means, bring it on! :D

I admittedly am not good with first person shooters on console, I'd rather play those games on pc for better aiming precision. I think I am getting older too, slower reflex than when I was younger :(. Considering all that, I'd rather stick with RPGs - so consider me looking at God of War and Assassin's Creed (hopefully it would be better) than doing BF1 or CoD..

Right move. Not too hyped yet, also already got disappointed once with getting too hyped (No Man's Sky). But unless I really know much of the game (Persona 5 did excellent for me, spent 120+ hours there), I won't get too excited, much more pre-ordering.
  12. Wholesale Sportswear

Wholesale Sportswear

Hi @Erik

Enjoyed hearing your take on the above games. Have you seen the Assassin's Creed movie yet? I saw it only have a star rating of 2 1/2 on Sky movies. I wanted to know your thoughts.
  13. liamhawes

liamhawes

Think my highest amount of time on a game is actually on one that came out in 1999. I have 629 hours played on Age of Empires 2 so far.
  14. Erik

Erik

Oh yes, I already saw it :)

Well in all honesty it mostly stuck into the 1st game's ways. The main protagonist matches the assassin's bloodline, he has to relive it, etc etc. It does not however live much to the whole game itself. They focused more on the "present time" than the past, so definitely not much parkour to it.

That's the main problem of the movie, the game is an open world game, and they did not emphasize well on assassinations. I think it would be more compelling though if you are not too familiar with the games, and should be suited well for those types of audiences. In all honestly I would have preferred that they should have made a different story altogether with this, this plot does not leave much follow through for a sequel (granted though each AC game has different stories).

I always have bad thoughts on games being brought to movies, and this one seems to be the same. Don't take my word for it though, I did not like it because I am comparing it to the game itself. In my opinion they should have chosen the Black Flag Era, because Pirates!
  15. Wholesale Sportswear

Wholesale Sportswear

I am also sceptical about video games being brought to movies, although I did enjoy Tomb Raider with Angelina Jolie.

I'm not the most demanding of viewers. If the action and effects are great, that is usually more than enough to keep me watching.
  16. Dean

Dean

We'll that's disappointing! The COD WW2 Beta is utter garbage!

I've not been a COD fan for years but I had high hopes for this. Sadly its just a badly re-skinned yet another same as always COD game.

I will be cancelling my pre-order on Amazon as I'm not paying for that rubbish.